6.0 Marshmallow: Browser Lag?

Amy wineBerry

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say that I'm experiencing browser lag, but more like scrolling lag here and there. It can be rather annoying. I've cleared the cache and what not. I hope a minor update will work this link out.

thefever23

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problem with Chrome Beta and by going into the phones "Accessibility" settings and then under "Services" turning off Moto Voice and Nova Launcher fixed the issue. Both Moto Voice and Nova Launcher still work fine with those settings turned off. Apparently it's a known bug that's causing browser issues.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I was having the same problem with Chrome Beta and by going into the phones "Accessibility" settings and then under "Services" turning off Moto Voice and Nova Launcher fixed the issue. Both Moto Voice and Nova Launcher still work fine with those settings turned off. Apparently it's a known bug that's causing browser issues.

I turned off Moto Voice and Action Launcher 3. I'll report back if that seems to work.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Moto X Pure

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow/Browser Lag

I'm noticing browser lag on a few particular websites that I visit often - this site being one of them.

Android Central is the main site I have issues with. Causes Chrome to freeze up constantly and makes the pop up to close Chrome or wait come up constantly.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Did it work?

Posted via the Android Central App

I fixed it.....I switched to a Note 5 with lollipop. Lol.

I upgraded my wife to a Note 5 a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with it so I bought one for myself. Still have the Pure but going to sell it. I love Moto, and that is all I have used for the last few years, and I also think that's why I fell in love with the Note. Just something new and different.

But, to seriously answer your question, no it did not work. It did make things "zippier", but did not have any effect for me on the browser lag. Again, this lag occurred with both browsers I use, Chrome and Boat. I can only assume the fix will come with an update.

Icemax60

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed this too. I wipe cache and factory reset the phone after 6.0 was installed. Mine is to the point that chrome crashes a lot. I use Firefox in the mean time because it seems pretty stable right now.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I too was experiencing issues with chrome, laggy, not loading pages nearly as fast, and it was becoming unresponsive.

I just turned off Moto Voice in accessibility settings, I guess I'll see if that helps!

Posted via the Android Central App

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have fixed the Chrome browser lag problem. I use Clean Master and had enabled some accessibility setting for it. Turned it off (now absolutely no accessibility settings are on) and the lag problem was fixed after a quick restart. It's been good for 24 hours now and with no more browser lag at all. Same websites that lagged and froze while scrolling work perfectly. Hope this helps someone...

jamesnote

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
So you guys think this is mainly a browser issue and not Marshmallow issue? Seems like you guys having the lag/slow issue after the update.

jonsnowden

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My chrome browser with Moto x pure has also slowed to a halt. I cleared cache and data and it broke chrome. Chrome will no longer work and I cant uninstall it or update it. I had to just force stop it and download "chrome beta". Still experiencing the lag with beta but at least I have a browser for now till I can "data reset' to hopefully fix chrome. FML

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm convinced it's mostly related to the site itself, at least in the case of Androidcentral.com. I tried to use the site yesterday on my computer which I haven't done in a while and I kept getting a pop up error message on Chrome, Firefox and as a last resort Edge. I've slept since then so I don't remember what the error said, but the site was unusable.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm convinced it's mostly related to the site itself, at least in the case of Androidcentral.com. I tried to use the site yesterday on my computer which I haven't done in a while and I kept getting a pop up error message on Chrome, Firefox and as a last resort Edge. I've slept since then so I don't remember what the error said, but the site was unusable.

I think it's both, because not all sites cause Chrome to lag, but Chrome didn't lag on Lollipop.

Lnin0

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Not even convinced it's a browser issue ... more likely a website issue with all the ads and especially those refusing to get rid of javascript.
Yeah, the *central sites are notoriously bad in my experience. Not saying they are the only ones but the ones I visit often enough to get annoyed by it.

alsip1023

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, there goes that theory.

I'm supporting your theory. I'm on my second shield k1 tablet. Returned the first one because it seemed to have touchscreen issues... Swiping in chrome would cause the page to scroll a couple lines in the correct direction, and then 50 lines in the opposite direction. Same thing would happen with the swipes just on the homescreen. Playing games such as Marvel Contest of Champions was nearly impossible. Taps would register as swipes, holds would register as taps, swipes would register as holds. Didn't happen ALL the time, but guaranteed to happen every single session for at least 50% of the time.

Second tablet had the same issue. Tried screen recalibration. Tried wiping cache. Tried accessibility options off. Tried changing performance between max, optimized, and custom.

It finally dawned on me that I didn't have this issue on my old OG shield tablet, and didn't start having the issue (that I remember) on the k1 until after the marshmallow update. First thing I did was after the update was excitedly set my sd card to adopted internal storage... these shield tablets and their pitiful 16gb of internal storage, ugh!

Anyway, this morning I got the idea to set the sd card back to portable storage. The tablet is brand new as of yesterday, so nothing to lose by reformatting the sd card. Format was done withing a minute. Rebooted the tablet for good measure
Low and behold, no lag or touchscreen issues so far!

I'm going to extensively test it today. Will report back with any changes or updates later! Hopefully a few more of you guys are willing to try this out as well. Might just fix your lag and touch issues.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember, the Mobile Nations (Android Central, etc.) aren't exactly "light" sites. If the device has a slightly slow interface to the SD card, even with a U10 card you could have some lag introduced as the browser shuffles things between the screen and storage. A few versions of Firefox in the 35-38 range were almost impossible here - probably because of a problem with all the different things appearing on the page. (Try the same lagging device on a pure text page and you probably won't have as much of a problem. Try Lorem Ipsum - All the facts - Lipsum generator using 100 paragraphs if you want a lot of text.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze