Motorola Customer Service: Moto Care and terrible service experience

checksergio

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto Care and terrible service experience

got my replacement phone today....a refurbished piece of crap that is locked by the previous owner.

Out of curiosity, how did the unlocked Moto get locked by this owner? Do you mean that they shipped you a phone that still had a screen lock code from the previous owner? wow! I have heard of bad replacements but that is something else!

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

Out of curiosity, how did the unlocked Moto get locked by this owner? Do you mean that they shipped you a phone that still had a screen lock code from the previous owner? wow! I have heard of bad replacements but that is something else!

So, Moto got the phone as a return and sent it to you without even a wipe? That stinks.

yup. part of the new MM security stuff.

It would only let you reset it up with the original gmail account login from the previous owner.

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010
www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com

I was told I'd have it by LAST Wednesday. Still nothing. Is it bad that I'm to the point of writing it off? I mean they have $500+ of my money, but I can't get anywhere with them. Without my Moto X PE since Thanksgiving......

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

So sorry about your continuing torture by Moto's customer service (sic). Have you taken this to the Motorola Users forum? I've seen better responses going through them rather than the normal channels.

I would also consider expressing your displeasure loud and clear on the Moto Facebook page. I haven't had to deal with them as my phone hasn't had problems or a breakage, but I feel more strongly that something is totally broken with them and needs to be brought out in the open.

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

I would also consider expressing your displeasure loud and clear on the Moto Facebook page. I haven't had to deal with them as my phone hasn't had problems or a breakage, but I feel more strongly that something is totally broken with them and needs to be brought out in the open.

tried

Motorola

Your case is handled by the repair and escalation team. Unfortunately, we don't have any influence with the department in charge of your case. Please get in contact with them through here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/landing_troubleshooter/g_id/5059 so they continue with the process and provide more information

Best Regards,
Kenny
Motorola Support

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

love the phone but the service is so bad i think i'll be forced to sell it and go back to nexus

WildH

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Hey I can absolutely confirm the op info! Same time frame...same experience times two. Can't even begin to explain how many times I spoke to a new department, etc ,etc ,etc. Switched to turbo two only because Verizon has been excellent for CS and I like android. Almost feel bad for giving moto two sales.

Long story short...moto devices are good...as long as you don't have a problem. Then it's a clown show.

Posted via the Android Central App

Proximus02

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Ordered Moto X on October 1, 2014. Took 20 days to arrive, used and loved the phone for 3 months, then the charging port broke. Uh oh..

Can attest to absolutely vile customer service. After getting a replacement device, it acted as if it was not an unlocked phone. Putting in a GSM sim got no service, tried multiple sims from multiple carriers and calling those carriers to tie the sim to the phone's imei. When putting in the sim, under the cellular network settings the APN option is gone and it has an option for selecting CDMA options. Phone acted as if it was CDMA only. Very bizarre and couldn't find out anywhere how to resolve this.

Motorola's response was to send me ANOTHER phone. I went along and the third phone had the EXACT same issue as the original replacement device. At this point this is no coincidence and I am just trying to get on the phone with someone at motorola who has an understanding of 1. their phones & 2. android. This does not seem a possibility. As I got to the highest level of tech support (level 3), they still had no damn clue what's going on and their response was to send me yet again... another phone. So infuriating to hear people just say... 'welp! let's ship you another phone' when you have 3 they have already sent you not working on your desk. Two of which should be working just fine but they can't seem to understand how to get your phone to connect to a perfectly good sim card.

This is after weeks of calls and waiting for new devices. Some times spending 4-6 hours a day on the phone between Motorola and ATT trying to reach someone who had any idea about anything. I have finally heard from their 'Executive Customer Relations Department' and they are going to give me a code in the next few days to build a new one through moto maker. After a month without a working phone... Now I'll try and go back to square one with a new phone.

Just so sad after paying $450 and the two $275 holds on my credit card for each replacement. That means I have about $1000 sitting on my credit card at the moment for the privilege of having 3 non-functioning moto x pures. And like I said my original purchase took 20 days to arrive, so it might be 2 months from phone breaking to having a working phone.... we shall see. Clown show indeed.IMG_5745.JPG

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010

Well, Friday morning I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told they were going to tell me the same thing about their "policies" blah blah blah. This supervisor told me he had a phone he could send with the Bamboo back instead of the blue back I originally had. I accepted it, and it was supposed to go out on Friday. Fingers crossed.

the reel d-dave

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

I am in a similar boat. I got my Moto X pure in October, and I fell in love with it. Honestly, it's a wonderful phone for me. Then on Dec 25, my phone fell against a piece of furniture and shattered the screen. That stunk. I contemplated going to a local shop to get the screen fixed, but I saw that Motorola would do it, and for $25 extra, I'd get a new phone to replace it. Cool beans!

So I get the replacement on Jan 9 (referred to as R), and my original (O) was prepped to go. I could not get a single SIM card to read on R. I popped the same one into O, and it immediately connected, no problem. I go to Verizon with it, and they can't do anything with R. They told me the phone just wasn't reading the sim. So I get on the horn with Motorola Repairs, and they offer to send me a new phone again for another $250 hold. I decline and ship O and R out on the same day. They arrived on Jan 14.

Now I have been without my phone for a month. Every time I contact the escalations team, they tell me that they have no parts to repair my Replacement. My Original has already been processed. All I want is the product I paid for, which is kind of what a lot of the posts on the Moto Forums are about too... They are terrible about shipping delays and taking way too much time to get anything done. I just got KariMoto to flag it on their end yesterday, after being told it's been escalated over the phone.

Why can't they give customers direct feedback over the phone? How are the message boards (which I'm sure 90% of moto owners don't know about) a more effective route to getting my phone back?

Finally, I've also check out BBB, and there are several similar complaints about getting help and their phones fixed in a remotely timely manner. Though many of those were resolved with a new phone order code. I'm going to give the Moto Forum escalation a chance to work before I go to the BBB. If they can't tell me specifically what's going on, or give me some kind of time frame other than "we're waiting for parts," I just want my money back. They apparently need spare phones more than my cash.

UPDATE: So I was pretty bitter, but then again, not having any meaningful communication with people at Motorola can do that to you!

If you are having issues with your repair service, don't call daily, or weekly, to get updates. After they tell you "I don't know" a time or two (and do document!), go to the motorola owners forums (forums.motoroal.com) and make your post there. There are WAY BETTER customer service people there who can actually help. I just got an xcode to build my phone again (I liked mine so much I made two of them!). The folks there were super helpful in getting my situation resolved quickly.

Now I'm sure one's mileage will vary, especially if it's only been a week. But the folks there were actually able to make me feel like a valued customer. Go figure! Talking on the phone is dead! Long live the keyboard!

Last edited:

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I've started a claim using Moto Care. After a drop my MXPE got a small crack on the screen. So small in fact I'd not have been concerned enough to replace or repair it were it not for having Moto Care. Although, I'm quite apprehensive regarding a smooth and pain free exchange with a satisfactory "new" replacement.

Update... the estimated delivery window has come and gone. No shipping information, either.

Last edited:

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I'll never buy another device from Motorola again and neither should you.

I have owned every edition of the Moto X. Starting back in 20013. I jumped on board the pure Android experience Motorola was offering. I purchased the phone for my wife instead of upgrading her iPhone. I got my parents to buy the device because pure Android is simple enough for them to use it. I even purchased the Moto 360 Sport a few weeks back.

Here's the rub: Motorola's customer service is terrible. My Moto X (2015) back in late January stopped being able to connect to any Wifi network. I called customer service, went through the RMA process which is either: send in the phone, wait 5-10 business days, get replace phone. OR pay $25, have a $500 hold on your card, and they'll ship out a phone and you send it back in. I need a phone. I have a family and we don't have a land line. I paid my $25, have the $500 hold on my card, and my "like new" phone arrived and cannot read any sim card. I called back into support and was told that they escalated my issue and I would hear back in 24-48 hours. I didn't. I don't have a phone to call because my phone isn't working and I asked to be emailed. I started tweeting at Motorola's support handle, and finally, I get an email with the same options before. So, for me to get another phone, I either have to pay another $25 and wait another 5-7 days. Or ship in the phone, once they receive it, wait another 5-10 days. I'll be without a working phone more than half a month. And out $50 when they sent me a defective phone!

I'm done with Motorola. Terrible experience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'll never buy another device from Motorola again and neither should you.

That's frustrating. In these situations, it may help to politely (but firmly) ask the rep on the phone to connect you to a supervisor, and keep working your way up the ladder. It won't fix the phone, but if you ask for something to compensate you for the troubles you've been going through, they might agree to give you a credit, or waive a fee. Make sure to mention how loyal of a Moto customer you've been, and that you'd like to continue being one (even if that's a lie), but it'd be hard to do so with the service you're getting right now. Good luck!

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
After sitting on my phone and cracking the screen I saw these posts. I had a heck of a time even finding a number to request Motorola to repair my screen. Every repair vendor I tried had at least a 2-3 week wait time to order a screen, plus wanting $200 for the replacement screen. I finally ordered a replacement screen, digitizer, and bezel from Taiwan for $118. Took AL of 4 days to arrive from the moment I ordered it. Followed a video on YouTube and swapped everything out in less than 30 minutes.

Sorry, the total price was $122.

Here's a link if anyone is interested. I have no association with this company.

http://www.etradesupply.com/motorola-moto-x-style-lcd-screen-assembly-with-front-housing-black.html

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

As I feared and expected (sadly) the customer service experience regarding my use of Moto Care was botched. Love the phone, but not the service. Trying now to get my Moto Care plans cancelled with a prorated refund. Was told that may not be possible.

While the service experience is terrible, everyone I've contacted has been polite and professional. So, kudo's there.

the reel d-dave

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

As I feared and expected (sadly) the customer service experience regarding my use of Moto Care was botched. Love the phone, but not the service. Trying now to get my Moto Care plans cancelled with a prorated refund. Was told that may not be possible.

While the service experience is terrible, everyone I've contacted has been polite and professional. So, kudo's there.

I'd give up on the phone. I've been up the ladder with escalations, and been told the whole "I have no idea when we'll get parts..." stuff. Go to forums.motorola.com and work with the folks there. It goes much faster and much easier.

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010

I agree with the last post. I went there as I was on the phone with "escalations" for over an hour. Within 30 minutes of my post on there a nice lady, who spoke English, called me and had a "loaner" over-nighted to me. The following day I had a code to buy a new phone. That phone arrives today.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Regarding the Motorola Forums, I got a notice that in the near future the site will change to Lenovo Wondering if the service issues will change once Moto fades and Lenovo brightens?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol