6.0 Marshmallow: T-Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if the phones have to be certified and tested by each carrier in order to use WiFi calling; just like Band 12 needs to be with T-Mobile. I know there were a few reports here and there that T-Mobile made it painful and expensive to get unlocked phone certified for Band 12. Google may have the muscle (and money) to push it though quickly but Moto may not. I wouldn't be surprised if Moto made the choice to yank WiFi calling out now so they could get 6.0 out quickly and not have to delay it.

Carriers do not want people using unlocked phones at all. The carriers want to control every single aspect of your phone and service so they can make the most money. I would not be surprised if there are long and expensive certifications that must be done for the phone to have WiFi calling. The 2015 X is pretty much a Nexus phone so there should be no reason why it was yanked other then the carriers demanding some long and expensive certification process or else they would not let the phone be active on their network.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Maybe Motos Next Phone.....

If you're on the road in dead spots that often wouldn't it be more convenient to switch to a carrier with better coverage than ducking into a Starbucks every time you need to make a call?

WiFi calling usually is used for home use or if you're in an area with bad coverage -- If it is constantly bad (and it is a place you go all the time) then yes switching would make sense but to change carriers for an area you may not go all the time? Especially if you could just use WiFi calling to resolve that pain point? May not be worth it. I pay $50 a month for unlimited .. anything else would cost me a LOT more (even for something like 3 GB) on another carrier. Just really depends on the situation.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I really would like to buy the X Pure. I got over the lack of a removable battery and I like the specs and the price. That missing WiFi calling though.... It's more than a convenience. I have a T-Mobile CellSpot for home, but what good does that do me on the road where there is no cell signal? I'm going to wait and see if Moto is listening and bakes it in to the next version of their flagship. The competition coming soon is tempting, but the projected prices are off putting. We'll see.....

Although I have a MXPE and like it, for the most part, I would buy the Nexus 6P or LG V10 now. Motorola dropped the ball when they failed to include wifi calling. That's actually a big deal for some customers. The Nexus 6P, with 128GB, is about what I paid for my customized MXPE.

Posted via Android Central App

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if the phones have to be certified and tested by each carrier in order to use WiFi calling; just like Band 12 needs to be with T-Mobile. I know there were a few reports here and there that T-Mobile made it painful and expensive to get unlocked phone certified for Band 12. Google may have the muscle (and money) to push it though quickly but Moto may not. I wouldn't be surprised if Moto made the choice to yank WiFi calling out now so they could get 6.0 out quickly and not have to delay it.

Carriers do not want people using unlocked phones at all. The carriers want to control every single aspect of your phone and service so they can make the most money. I would not be surprised if there are long and expensive certifications that must be done for the phone to have WiFi calling. The 2015 X is pretty much a Nexus phone so there should be no reason why it was yanked other then the carriers demanding some long and expensive certification process or else they would not let the phone be active on their network.

Whatever the reason it was left out, Motorola made a REALLY bad choice. The phone is supposed to be almost pure Google. What was there to certify since it doesn't include carrier bloatware? That's one of the major selling points of the phone. Now it's a reason many have for NOT buying it. Finding this out now, I wouldn't have.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

While I can kind of see where you're going with this .. There is still the fact that the Google Nexus 6 (last years model) got WiFi calling from T-Mobile and that was also a Motorola phone. Therefore, if Motorola could have the muscle / resources to get WiFi calling going with the Nexus 6 (back before Marshmallow) then they could have done it for the Moto X Pure Edition... especially since Marshmallow is now out and WiFi calling is baked into the software already. It just has to be utilized.

My opinion ... they wanted to just not deal with any bugs that may have come from that feature so they removed it. Especially since it really is only T-Mobile and Sprint using WiFi calling right now. Verizon is testing it out on some new phones and AT&T is using the iPhone to test it so they are still in the minor stages.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Maybe Motos Next Phone.....

WiFi calling usually is used for home use or if you're in an area with bad coverage -- If it is constantly bad (and it is a place you go all the time) then yes switching would make sense but to change carriers for an area you may not go all the time? Especially if you could just use WiFi calling to resolve that pain point? May not be worth it. I pay $50 a month for unlimited .. anything else would cost me a LOT more (even for something like 3 GB) on another carrier. Just really depends on the situation.

I have tried all four major carriers in NYC and each one has a horrible signal in my apartment. Going with T-Mobile WAS my choice for the one that could provide consistent connections via WiFi calling. Yes, another company has since added the feature, but I'm already with TM and also don't mind the price difference.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Whatever the reason it was left out, Motorola made a REALLY bad choice. The phone is supposed to be almost pure Google. What was there to certify since it doesn't include carrier bloatware? That's one of the major selling points of the phone. Now it's a reason many have for NOT buying it. Finding this out now, I wouldn't have.

Do you know what kind of certifications, if any, are required for T-Mobile's WiFi calling?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what kind of certifications, if any, are required for T-Mobile's WiFi calling?
Nope. Are they tougher than the other carriers? If there are, Huawei didn't have any trouble meeting them for the Nexus 6P.

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
No longer a motto guy..

Posted via the Android Central App

OIC. No one should have to apologize for using the device that works best for them.

There is a lot to like about the V10. A lot. The LG ui just doesn't float my boat.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
OIC. No one should have to apologize for using the device that works best for them.

There is a lot to like about the V10. A lot. The LG ui just doesn't float my boat.

Not really excited by the LG ui either.. Loaded nova launcher and Google keyboard and now I cant really tell. But its smooth, its fast, awesome pictures and music, I have my SD card, removable battery, and my tmobile WiFi calling..

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not really excited by the LG ui either.. Loaded nova launcher and Google keyboard and now I cant really tell. But its smooth, its fast, awesome pictures and music, I have my SD card, removable battery, and my tmobile WiFi calling..

I've been considering getting rid of my MXPE too. I'm leaning towards the 128GB Nexus 6P, but the LG V10 has some very desirable features too. I have used Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android phones, along with Swiftkey keyboard, so LG's UI doesn't matter. I'm just holding out for now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been considering getting rid of my MXPE too. I'm leaning towards the 128GB Nexus 6P, but the LG V10 has some very desirable features too. I have used Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android phones, along with Swiftkey keyboard, so LG's UI doesn't matter. I'm just holding out for now.

I'd say do it. Everyone I know (including myself) loved the 6P. It really is an awesome phone. Also wifi calling baked in with quick updates :).

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Then your all set.. If you liked the note 3 and note 4 then will love the lgv10.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Please take the V10 talk to the V10 forum.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Please take the V10 talk to the V10 forum.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Hey ry he is asking about going to the v10 from the mxpe.. Kinda makes it relivent here.. Hmmm funny,, everyone taking about the 6p in this thread also and you didn't tell them to take it to the 6p forrum?

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Do you have Marshmallow on the LG V10? Or is it still 5.1.1?

For now 5.1 they are saying mm soon but.. I hope they really take their time after all the bugs moto had.. But the v10 is buttery smooth on 5.1. No lag and no hot phone either.. And you still have the quick charge.. It is very viable option to have tmobile WiFi calling..

Status
Not open for further replies.