6.0 Marshmallow: T-Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hard to tell what's actually going on. If it's baked into 6.0, it should show somewhere in the settings, but it doesn't. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Yeah I am assuming it is Motorola since it works fine on the 6P.

Below are screenshots of wifi calling, me turning it on to show it recognizes it, and my "About phone" section to show my phone (6P).

Attachments

• 1450946870419.jpg
    1450946870419.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 1450946878426.jpg
    1450946878426.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1450946886176.jpg
    1450946886176.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 33

docroc1

May 2, 2011
Visit site
For those who need WiFi Calling on T-Mobile and are frustrated that it's not activated in Moto X Pure MM Android 6, please read the following: I recently visited a friend out of state who's ground floor level apartment in a large building gets terrible T-Mobile reception. She relies on WiFi Calling on a Samsung Galaxy S5 but gets unreliable service, dropped calls, etc. We went to a T-Mobile store and she got the free CellSpot--free with a $25 refundable deposit. I installed it for her in her apartment--easy set up. Once activated, it runs its own set-up for about 45 minutes. Then both she on her GS5 and I on my Moto X Pure MM received 4 bar, high speed LTE. From zero reception to perfect reception, once the CellSpot was installed and activated. She reports perfect results since--no more dropped calls--and crystal clear voice quality. BTW, else where in her building my Moto X picked up T-Mobile band 12. I highly recommend the CellSpot. I don't use it myself in my home because I get great T-Mobile reception. Also note, she has WiFi calling now turned off--she is only using the CellSpot.

Last edited:

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
For those who need WiFi Calling on T-Mobile and are frustrated that it's not activated in Moto X Pure MM Android 6, please read the following: I recently visited a friend out of state who's ground floor level apartment in a large building gets terrible T-Mobile reception. She relies on WiFi Calling on a Samsung Galaxy S5 but gets unreliable service, dropped calls, etc. We went to a T-Mobile store and she got the free CellSpot--free with a $25 refundable deposit. I installed it for her in her apartment--easy set up. Once activated, it runs its own set-up for about 45 minutes. Then both she on her GS5 and I on my Moto X Pure MM received 4 bar, high speed LTE. From zero reception to perfect reception, once the CellSpot was installed and activated. She reports perfect results since--no more dropped calls--and crystal clear voice quality. BTW, else where in her building my Moto X picked up T-Mobile band 12. I highly recommend the CellSpot. I don't use it myself in my home because I get great T-Mobile reception. Also note, she has WiFi calling now turned off--she is only using the CellSpot.

A lot of other places WiFi call is a necessity.. I am a service tech doing supermarket refrigeration.. When I am working at the stores and in the cookers there is no cell coverage but all the stores have WiFi.. If androids has it baked in then me using a pure Android device should get to utilize it

Posted via the Android Central App

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't send it back for that reason. I think that the caller ID and blocking is a bit more useful feature that it needs. And dialer search.

On my moto g3 I had to make a call where there was no reception. I just went to McDonald's and downloaded hangouts dialer and it sounded clear and call worked fine. I think you just need Google voice for it work. T-Mobile supports Google voice pretty well. It's a damn good phone and I'm trying to decide between keeping it or the nexus 6.

Might not be ideal for some having to use a separate app but at least there's a work around. I wish there was a way to get the caller ID, caller block and the Google maps search dialer from nexus phones info mxpe. It looks so identical to nexus dialer too. With volte now and hd calling and adoptable storage it has a slight edge over nexus 6.

I will day I wish I ordered one from moto maker for more memory and customization. But couldn't turn down legitimate black Friday deals.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't send it back for that reason. I think that the caller ID and blocking is a bit more useful feature that it needs. And dialer search.

On my moto g3 I had to make a call where there was no reception. I just went to McDonald's and downloaded hangouts dialer and it sounded clear and call worked fine. I think you just need Google voice for it work. T-Mobile supports Google voice pretty well. It's a damn good phone and I'm trying to decide between keeping it or the nexus 6.

Might not be ideal for some having to use a separate app but at least there's a work around. I wish there was a way to get the caller ID, caller block and the Google maps search dialer from nexus phones info mxpe. It looks so identical to nexus dialer too. With volte now and hd calling and adoptable storage it has a slight edge over nexus 6.

I will day I wish I ordered one from moto maker for more memory and customization. But couldn't turn down legitimate black Friday deals.

Should not have to jump through hoops for features available to other stock Android phones. Taking out native WiFi calling support from aosp is a huge black eye to moto..

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: What us TMO?

I don't like to remove neither the SIM nor the MicroSD while the devices is on...better safe than sorry.

You're supposed to turn the phone off when you remove the SIM/SD card holder. But before you do, don't forget to unmount the SD card or you could lose everything on it.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I was waiting to hear the final word on WiFi calling. I have T-Mobile and use the CellSpot at home because of poor reception in my apartment. This won't help me when traveling. I occasionally visit friends where there is no TM signal and the only thing that saves the day is WiFi calling. This is disappointing as I was just about to order the MXPE.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I was waiting to hear the final word on WiFi calling. I have T-Mobile and use the CellSpot at home because of poor reception in my apartment. This won't help me when traveling. I occasionally visit friends where there is no TM signal and the only thing that saves the day is WiFi calling. This is disappointing as I was just about to order the MXPE.

I feel the same.. I have a 6p coming Monday and a v10 coming Wed.. One will go back, and one will be my new daily driver as my moto pure 2015 joins my s4, s5, and note 3 in the drawer of old phones

Last edited by a moderator:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
TMO wifi calling NOT available. PERIOD

Very disappointing, indeed! I've checked with both T-Mobile and Motorola, and this phone ain't got it available...even with Marshmallow. In fact, the tech reps at Motorola don't have a clue. TMO informed me that the option is built into phones by the manufacturers, which is about the only logical explanation I've received from either of them. This is one of the great features of being on TMO; it's included in their plans...free. And it really helps out a lot of folks who may not have the best network signal, but have wifi available. Why Moto didn't include this option in this phone...their premier phone...is a mystery and no one at Moto seems to know the answer. I should have gone with the Nexus 6P or LG V10 (which I still may do).

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: TMO wifi calling NOT available. PERIOD

I am disappointed also and share your frustration.. How the non carrier 6p has it but the pure moto doesn't has me puzzled .. Between my mm bugs and no WiFi I have thrown my hands up.. I have 6p arriving Monday and lgv10 coming Wed.. One will be my new daily driver and my moto pure is going in the drawer with my other unused old phones.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: TMO wifi calling NOT available. PERIOD

Swappa has just about been ran out of lgv10 since the articles this last week.. Lol

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Motos Next Phone.....

I really would like to buy the X Pure. I got over the lack of a removable battery and I like the specs and the price. That missing WiFi calling though.... It's more than a convenience. I have a T-Mobile CellSpot for home, but what good does that do me on the road where there is no cell signal? I'm going to wait and see if Moto is listening and bakes it in to the next version of their flagship. The competition coming soon is tempting, but the projected prices are off putting. We'll see.....

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Maybe Motos Next Phone.....

Not quite sure why you felt the need to express this if you have no question. But to clarify, Wi-Fi calling is "baked in" to MM 6.0. The only requirement would be for T-Mobile to support the device on their end.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

If you're on the road in dead spots that often wouldn't it be more convenient to switch to a carrier with better coverage than ducking into a Starbucks every time you need to make a call?

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

It's time to change carriers or invest in a cell booster for your vehicle. I can't see how wi-fi calling is going to help at all in your situation.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Not quite sure why you felt the need to express this if you have no question. But to clarify, Wi-Fi calling is "baked in" to MM 6.0. The only requirement would be for T-Mobile to support the device on their end.

Moto took WiFi calling out of mm.. Nexus has it and working for T-Mobile.. Motos black eye on this one

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

It's time to change carriers or invest in a cell booster for your vehicle. I can't see how wi-fi calling is going to help at all in your situation.

Think he is referring to while traveling as in at hotels, in buildings, or even when overseas.. Anywhere they may have WiFi hot spots but really bad cell coverage.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Think he is referring to while traveling as in at hotels, in buildings, or even when overseas.. Anywhere they may have WiFi hot spots but really bad cell coverage.

Seems this thread has been combined with another TMO? In any event, Ryaan thanks for the explanation. I had assumed that traveling was used as a verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463