6.0 Marshmallow: Internal memory storage does not show up when connected to laptop via USB?

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
When I connect my Moto X Pure 6.0 to my computer all I see is my SD card listed. Makes no difference if I select MTP or PTP on the usb menu. I should see the internal storage also, no?

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why don't I see my internal storage on my Moto X Pure Edition when I connect to a PC via USB?

Just a question for clarification, because I'm not sure about this, but did you reformat your SD card as internal storage?

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why don't I see my internal storage on my Moto X Pure Edition when I connect to a PC via USB?

yes
I have a 32gb card and 32 bg internal and I am seeing the sd card storage only

Last edited:

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

6.0 changes USB connections. The default is just 5V charging, no data exchange.

There will be a notification where you can select some other USB connection options. Choose MTP for most purposes. There is an article here on AndroidCentral that details the changes. Jerry wrote it as I recall.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

When I connect my Moto X Pure 6.0 to my computer all I see is my SD card listed. Makes no difference if I select MTP or PTP on the usb menu. I should see the internal storage also, no?

6.0 changes USB connections. The default is just 5V charging, no data exchange.

There will be a notification where you can select some other USB connection options. Choose MTP for most purposes. There is an article here on AndroidCentral that details the changes. Jerry wrote it as I recall.

Looks like the OP tried that already.

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

yes, I said in the first post that I did that.
Thank You

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

yes
I have a 32gb card and 32 bg internal and I am seeing the sd card storage only

Thank you. Another question, if you have a moment. When you plug in your phone to the computer, what is the size of the SD card that Windows sees?

If you formatted the card as adoptable, or internal, storage, then it would make sense that you would only see one drive when you plug in your phone. As far as your phone and Windows will be concerned, it should be reported as one contiguous drive.

Does your phone see two different storage options if you use a file browser?

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

It sees a little less than 29gb

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

Sure seems like it.
I am now officially fubar with this sd card.
Just going to keep the storage split. I want to be able to see whats on both of the storage's in case I decide to root.

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Here's another one for ya.
When I first updated to 6.0 and combined the sd and the internal I only had a couple of pictures and a few games that were replaceable so I went ahead. Most games and pics came back with googles help. The one game that didn't, I reloaded. Here's the kicker. That one game would periodically delete itself. No set time , but just be gone. Now that I have the storage separated, the game has not deleted itself.

PointCrepe

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Marshmallow Update SD Card Internal Storage not showing in Windows

So I tried the option to format a 64 gb micro sd as internal storage for my 16 GB Moto X Pure as marshmallow provides.

I know supposedly it makes your phone internal storage "go away" or just inaccessible. However when I connect my phone to a pc with windows 10 the only thing that shows is the internal storage with what's left of 16 gb. Nowhere does it show the 64 gb that should replace the 16 gb. Therefore I can't copy anything to the sd card. The apps will install on the card through android though. Anybody else encounter this?

The SD card I have is a Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC Memory Card which is pretty decent.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow Update SD Card Internal Storage not showing in Windows

I just bought a 64GB Samsung PRO+ microSD card from Fry's and am using it as portable storage.

I plugged the phone via micro USB cable to my Windows 7 machine and selected MTP for USB in the phone's notification shade.

In Windows Explorer, I get XT1575 with two folders: Internal storage (24GB) and Samsung SD card (59.5GB).

LegoLink

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
The op has probably selected their SD as internal storage, and migrated their data.

That way, only the SD will show up when connecting, as the other is essentially switched off, and there for app use only.

It's all a bit confusing and new... but I'm getting why google did it :)

bradmoss

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I have a similar problem, some files get deleted periodically. I mean gone like the OP says. Also have formatted my SD card as internal memory. Moto G 3rd Gen Marshmallow. Also see just the SD card through the PC (Windows 7).

androidhari

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I use moto g 3rd gen. I faced same issue and solved it by enabling developer options. Under developer option, find "Select USB configuration". Choose, MTP and that fixed my problem. Hope someone would benefit.

Regards
AndroidHari

sac1691

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
This is a well discussed and easy to fix bug... Disconnect USB cable, go to Settings, Apps, and Show System Apps and find External Storage and Media Storage and clear data and cache on each one and reboot, then give it 5 min after full boot up to rebuild media databases and connect to USB and select MTP. Should be good to go.

EDIT: In some instances where the SD card contains a large number of (media) files, it can take more than 5 minutes for the databases to rebuild. There is no way to see if the status of this database buildup in the phone itself, so sometimes you just have to be patient.

Also note that some users have stated that this is not sufficient by itself, but sometimes the system cache partition needs to be wiped and rebuilt. Official instructions for performing this operation from Moto are here. Note that this operation can take significant time... 5-15 minutes, occasionally even longer, do not interrupt the operation.