Greetings!

I am considering a Moto X Pure. I have a couple questions and also wanted to hear other current owner's opinions. I'm coming from a Galaxy S5 (Verizon).

1) Does the device receive timely updates from Google?
    2) Is the bloatware truly as minimal as reviews describe?
    3) When installing Apps on the SD Card, do you consistently have to move them back after updating? (current S5 issue - very annoying)

Any other opinions are appreciated! I am either going with a Moto X Pure or a Nexus 5X.
    12-17-2015 12:03 PM
    1) it does not get the updates from Google, but from Motorola. That said it only took 2 months to get 6.0; no other device in the US has 6.0 outside of Nexus and HTC A9 as far as I know. So for a big update it was pretty timely. I would think 6.0.X updates and security updates would move faster. Other carrier branded phones likely won't have 6.0 until March/April.

2) Yup. Other then 1 or 2 Moto apps (for the display and other Moto features) it's pretty much the same as Nexus.

3) No, not with 6.0 if you choose adaptive storage and have Android treat the SD card as internal storage.
    12-17-2015 12:13 PM
    1) it does not get the updates from Google, but from Motorola. That said it only took 2 months to get 6.0; no other device in the US has 6.0 outside of Nexus and HTC A9 as far as I know. So for a big update it was pretty timely. I would think 6.0.X updates and security updates would move faster. Other carrier branded phones likely won't have 6.0 until March/April.

2) Yup. Other then 1 or 2 Moto apps (for the display and other Moto features) it's pretty much the same as Nexus.

3) No, not with 6.0 if you choose adaptive storage and have Android treat the SD card as internal storage.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-17-2015 12:21 PM
    I don't follow.

Are you saying there is a setting to treat the SD card as adaptive storage, which would prevent apps from moving back to local storage when updated?
    12-17-2015 12:30 PM
    I don't follow.

Are you saying there is a setting to treat the SD card as adaptive storage, which would prevent apps from moving back to local storage when updated?
    Yes, that is right.

12-17-2015 12:35 PM
    Yes, that is right.

Awesome. I was getting really annoyed of updating apps, then having to MANUALLY move EACH app back to the SD card.

Sounds like you can't lose with the Moto X Pure...

Still on 5.0 from Verizon here...no sign of 6.0 in sight. I'm done with Verizon branded phones, gotta be unlocked from here on out.
    12-17-2015 12:44 PM
    I was carrying a Note 5 and made the change over. This is a way better experience.

From the storage to the updates to the overall stability of the phone. Moto maker was even nice because my phone looks like I wanted it to look
    BlurryEyed likes this.
    12-17-2015 12:44 PM
    Awesome. I was getting really annoyed of updating apps, then having to MANUALLY move EACH app back to the SD card.

Sounds like you can't lose with the Moto X Pure...

Still on 5.0 from Verizon here...no sign of 6.0 in sight. I'm done with Verizon branded phones, gotta be unlocked from here on out.
    The only downside to the Pure that I have seen is the Moto's customer service is....lacking, to say the least. If the phone ever needs to be fixed prepare to battle for a few weeks. That said, the Moto X is the only phone I have ever had to have warranty work done on so the chances are slim you'd have to tangle with Moto. My X ended up going to Chicago since it was some odd hardware issue they wanted the engineers to look at so it's not like it was a common, normal, failure I had with my phone.
    12-17-2015 02:08 PM
    The only downside to the Pure that I have seen is the Moto's customer service is....lacking, to say the least. If the phone ever needs to be fixed prepare to battle for a few weeks. That said, the Moto X is the only phone I have ever had to have warranty work done on so the chances are slim you'd have to tangle with Moto. My X ended up going to Chicago since it was some odd hardware issue they wanted the engineers to look at so it's not like it was a common, normal, failure I had with my phone.
    Good to know thanks!

Any other gripes about the Moto X Pure (2015)?
    12-18-2015 12:50 PM
    What's bloatware?

I haven't spotted any on mine...
    12-18-2015 10:48 PM
    The only thing I consider bloatware on this device is the stock messaging app. You can't disable it let alone uninstall it. You can however have it sit quietly in the corner...

12-18-2015 11:29 PM
    I personally think video recording is horrible. Everything is grainy. I posted a thread about it a few weeks ago.

12-19-2015 02:08 AM
    I personally think video recording is horrible. Everything is grainy. I posted a thread about it a few weeks ago.

I got great video, of a squirrel rolling and flipping in newly placed mulch around a tree outside my office window. ( It was hysterical actually, we thought there must have been " squirrel nip" in that mulch.)

And it was shot through the glass in the window and still was very good.

It was a bright, but overcast, day - so it wasn't low light. Haven't tried video in a low light setting.

12-19-2015 11:59 PM
    Get this device... It's very good for the money hands down. Battery is pretty good, moto actions, and look alone make my brothers Galaxy 6 edge look kinda cheap. I'm coming from an iPhone 5s and I'm glad to be back to the Android eco system. The 128gb SD card I put in it makes it nice to know I got plenty of storage for the 32gb version on sale for $349 on Amazon.
    BlurryEyed likes this.
    12-20-2015 02:59 AM
    Get this device... It's very good for the money hands down. Battery is pretty good, moto actions, and look alone make my brothers Galaxy 6 edge look kinda cheap. I'm coming from an iPhone 5s and I'm glad to be back to the Android eco system. The 128gb SD card I put in it makes it nice to know I got plenty of storage for the 32gb version on sale for $349 on Amazon.
    $350 was a great deal, too bad I missed it. My Galaxy S5 will MAYBE get me $200 used if I'm lucky..I should just sell it, use my old iPhone 5 for a month or so until that deal comes back...
    12-21-2015 05:58 PM