While talking with the phone on my ear - display goes on and off...

Giumbix

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
While talking with the phone on my ear - display goes on and off, (it is supposed to stay off).
This is really annoying since you are touching the screen with your ear and who knows what you touch - one time ended up on enabling airplane mode - which of course disconnected me immediately.
This did not get fixed even after upgrading to android 6.0 - I think it's a device issue.

Anybody seen this ?

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't own the Moto X, but I have had similar issues with different phones. My Moto G had the opposite of yours. Where the screen shuts off during a phone call and I pull it away from my face and it is still dark. Not always. But sometimes. Then it takes like 30 seconds for it to realize I need the screen. It is just an annoyance.

Yours is worse, because you accidentally push buttons with your face. I think it could be a faulty sensor on your phone. I know people with the Moto X and haven't heard of this problem. It could be a setting too. Have you asked Motorola for help with the problem?

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you have one of those plastic or glass screen protectors? Not an expert but I've heard that sometimes they interfere with the sensors.

Giumbix

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I had the silicon one (from the original box), removing it did not help - now I do not have a case but still have the issue.
I will contact Moto.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Every smartphone I've ever had does that, no matter how much they claim they aren't supposed to. I don't know, it just seems to be how it is... And it does suck.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The screen shuts off because of the proximity sensor in the phone. If you take it away from your face and want the screen back on, simply short press the power button.

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
The screen shuts off because of the proximity sensor in the phone. If you take it away from your face and want the screen back on, simply short press the power button.

I think you misread his Post or maybe only looked at the title of the thread.

While talking with the phone on my ear - display goes on and off, (it is supposed to stay off).
This is really annoying since you are touching the screen with your ear and who knows what you touch - one time ended up on enabling airplane mode - which of course disconnected me immediately.
This did not get fixed even after upgrading to android 6.0 - I think it's a device issue.

Anybody seen this ?

I actually had this with my rooted s4. I first thought it was a sensor issue, then an app issue. By app issue, I mean where notifications or backround apps are overriding the screen and turning it on. I ended up disabling the proximity sensor, rebooting the phone, enabling the proximity sensor. problem solved. I thought it was a bug due to my root with custom ROM/kernel which I did not create myself.
I later then went a step further and disabled as many app notification permissions as possible so they wouldn't run in background.

What I dislike in general with the sensor is that the damn screen turns off when you try to swipe down the top bar during a phone call or it would also do it whenever I used TouchTone choices duering automated calls and would hit the #1..:-\