6.0 Marshmallow: Is adoptable storage being reported correctly?

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
After reading and commenting on two different posts, I thought I would make a post to see if anyone else is having any issues with adoptable storage being reported correctly, or if anyone else is having any issues.

This is mainly to collect and consolidate some data points. I may not be able to help you in your unique situation, but at least we might be able to get some data to point to a common issue. *Note* I do not use adoptable storage

To that end, please take a moment to reply with the following information even if you aren't having any issues:

Model (XT1575 or XT1572)
Android version (5.1.1 or 6.0)
Phone storage (16, 32, or 64)
Card storage (16, 32, 64, 128, and so on...)
Computer used when hooked up to phone (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Adoptable storage (yes or no)
If you have adoptable storage enabled, do you see the phone storage plus card storage amount reported correctly in Android?​
If you have adoptable storage enabled, do you see the phone storage plus card storage amount reported correctly in Windows/Mac/Linux?​
If you have adoptable storage enabled, how many drives do you see in Android?​

Thank you for your time.

RogMoore

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Adoptable storage being reported correctly?

Could you explain what is the meaning of Adoptable storage and where to get it.?

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Some users reported problems when using adaptable storage. It's better to just wait for a few months and see how well it works until than use the SD card as external storage option.

Posted via moto x play

anon(71309)

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Some users reported problems when using adaptable storage. It's better to just wait for a few months and see how well it works until than use the SD card as external storage option.

Posted via moto x play

I'm one of those who have gotten bitten by SD cards. So I use my SD card as "a backup" rather than "the backup". Everything I have on my phone is backed up, usually automatically, somewhere else.

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
In the end, should I use adoptable storage? I have the 16GB very and have a 64GB card in it. With all of my apps installed, I have about 2GB left on internal

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
In the end, should I use adoptable storage? I have the 16GB very and have a 64GB card in it. With all of my apps installed, I have about 2GB left on internal

I wouldn't recommend it yet. I did do it and it was fine for several days, then my apps started malfunctioning. The app icons grayed out and when I tried to open them it would say "facebook (or whatever) not available. " I checked and it was only apps that had been put on the SD card.
I went to storage and moved them back to internal (and deleted some things to make room) and then reformatted the card back to portable.
All is back to normal with my apps now. I definitely dont think adoptable storage is a usable thing yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend it yet. I did do it and it was fine for several days, then my apps started malfunctioning. The app icons grayed out and when I tried to open them it would say "facebook (or whatever) not available. " I checked and it was only apps that had been put on the SD card.
I went to storage and moved them back to internal (and deleted some things to make room) and then reformatted the card back to portable.
All is back to normal with my apps now. I definitely dont think adoptable storage is a usable thing yet.

Ok thanks for the input. I realized I had more things to move to my SD card so I have more space than I thought I did. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the gallery to view the pictures on the card though...

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for the input. I realized I had more things to move to my SD card so I have more space than I thought I did. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the gallery to view the pictures on the card though...

Your pictures should be accessible as normal in the gallery after being moved to the card. It shouldn't change that.

However, if they were on the card and you reformatted it to either internal or back to portable, they would be erased and then disappear from the gallery.

If you have your pictures backed up to your Google account they will still be there in the Google photo app. They never disappear from there unless you manually delete them.

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Your pictures should be accessible as normal in the gallery after being moved to the card. It shouldn't change that.

However, if they were on the card and you reformatted it to either internal or back to portable, they would be erased and then disappear from the gallery.

If you have your pictures backed up to your Google account they will still be there in the Google photo app. They never disappear from there unless you manually delete them.

Yeah I'm not sure what was wrong. I restarted the phone and they all showed up in the gallery properly