unable to set ringtone in facebook messanger

liftedplane

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
as the title says I'm completely unable to use any of my personal ringtones that are on my SD in facebook messenger, they just don't show up I've got them in the right folders as far as I know and all my other devices worked fine, I put my SD card in my phone as phone memory when it asked and now I cannot access my internal memory with astro or any other file explorer so I'm unable to move these ringtones to my internal memory to test there... I just can't figure it out.

ever other program shows all my ringtones this one doesn't I've done some searching and cannot seem to find an answer

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! In general, it's best to move any custom ringtone to the corresponding directory on the phone's Internal Storage, rather than the microSD card. Connect the phone to your computer via USB and use Windows Explorer to move the tone from the microSD card to the Notifications directory on the phone's Internal Storage (I'm assuming it's a Notification your using it for, and not an actual Ringtone, which would be for calls).

liftedplane

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
so when I connect the only storage that shows is my sandisk sd card, like the 32gb internal storage doesn't exist..

and yes notification tones... the 4 locations I've tried is

media > audio > notifications
media > audio > ringtones
... > notifications
... > ringotnes

when I put my sd card in my moto asked if I wanted to be internal storage or removable flash flash storage, I set it to internal storage... then my actual internal one just disappeared... it's a 64gb internal

I'm running completely stock unrooted, haven't had a chance to do anything but set it up and play, tried 3 different file explores, es files explorer, astro and root toolbox built in one

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So you're using adoptable storage?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem too. I just got a Moto X Pure edition and FB Messenger isn't recognizing my tones. I made sure to move them into the proper locations on the phone but it doesn't work. Perhaps FB no longer allows external tones?

liftedplane

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
ok guess that makes sense.

I bought the 32gb but put my 64gb card in, made sense.

I've been stuck with my note 2 since it launched, so I'm trying to catch up

another problem I'm having is it randomly switching music to my bluetooth headset while my wired car input is plugged it... it's extremely annoying.

thanks for the tips... hopefully they update this soon, the current ringtone is driving me insane. I'm tempted to root the device to fix some of the little annoying things.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
media > audio > notifications

This looks to be the location where Facebook stores facebook_ringtone_pop.m4a. One other thing I would try is to try a m4a file in that location.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It figures that Facebook would make it that only a m4a file would work. I have other tones in that folder but they're MP3. If I get a chance I'll try converting a file just to see.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just tried putting an m4a file in the above mentioned folder. Didn't work at all. I'm officially stumped

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Very odd.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Facebook wants to control the quality of the app, and feel outside ringtones could create a negative image.

I can see the custom notifications that I added to my internal memory when I go to change the Facebook Notification tone. This sounds related specifically to adoptable storage.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I can see the custom notifications that I added to my internal memory when I go to change the Facebook Notification tone. This sounds related specifically to adoptable storage.

Facebook or Facebook messenger. I can see my notifications in the Facebook app but not the messenger app

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure this means anything but, I had a special ringtone I like to use with Hangouts, for a day or two it worked fine, last few days it stopped working even though the app told me it was selected. Long story short, the ringtone HAD to be on my phone not off the card. I know someone mentioned that about messenger, so I think my issue with hangouts confirms that point. Keep in mind that I've put the tone I want to use in messenger in every notifications folder I could find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz