Hello all!

I recently switched from a Nokia 1520 Windows Phone to the Moto X Pure. While I've adjusted fairly well to the switch. I do seem to have lost visual voice mail. When I bring up the phone app there are only three options, starred, recent and contacts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    01-06-2016 06:56 AM
    You have several visual voicemail apps on the playstore. Att offers its own app for this. My favorite option is using Google voice strictly for voicemail. Quite easy to set up and the way it emails the voicemail to you and creates a text version of the message works great. Interface needs an update it probably will never get though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-06-2016 06:59 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Just confirming, I need a separate app for this? I thought I had read that Android M brought it's own visual voicemail support.

Thanks!
    01-06-2016 07:02 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Just confirming, I need a separate app for this? I thought I had read that Android M brought it's own visual voicemail support.

Thanks!
    Yea that was the rumor but nothing. I'm hearing the next update will, but who knows.
    01-06-2016 07:03 AM
    AT&T has a visual voicemail app in the store that works fine.
    01-23-2016 04:11 PM
    Thanks, that's what I ended up doing. I'm still hoping for a native built in option.
    01-24-2016 06:07 AM
    Marshmallow DID include "native" support for visual voicemail within the phone app. However*, the current word on the street is it only works with Project Fi, or if you have a Google Voice account. From my understanding it has something to do with the type of protocol the VVM system uses, which is currently non-compatible with AT&T's VVM.

Thus as you have learned, you have to download AT&T's VVM app.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-25-2016 05:13 PM
    Just an update on this. I had to send in my phone for a dropped screen, with the replacement (repaired per Motorola) I cannot now use AT&T visual voicemail app. It won't start and after a 30+ minute call with AT&T they are saying it's not supported on non AT&T branded phones. What a disgrace. Now looking for other options.
    11-27-2016 06:39 AM
    Just an update on this. I had to send in my phone for a dropped screen, with the replacement (repaired per Motorola) I cannot now use AT&T visual voicemail app. It won't start and after a 30+ minute call with AT&T they are saying it's not supported on non AT&T branded phones. What a disgrace. Now looking for other options.
    Something isn't right here, it works perfectly on (most) non-AT&T phones, I have been using AT&T Visual Voicemail app since I got my Pure (and before that on my Moto G and Nexus 4), it works fine... AT&T CS has to enable it on your account, you download the app, and that's it... it just works. I have used this app on stock and several custom ROMs with no issues at all.

Permission may need to be manually enabled since the app didn't ship with the phone... Go to Settings - Apps, and scroll down to Visual Voicemail, and click App Permissions and enable five options, then go back a step to the App Info screen and tap Storage, then Clear Data and Clear Cache. Now reboot and try to restart the app.

Also, you must have mobile data service (kind of a given) and the correct APN... Under Settings - Wireless & Network, select More, Cellular Networks, Access Point Names, and make sure "AT&T Nextgenphone" is set (the defaults within it are fine if you haven't messed with them).

If you can't make it work, there is another option... Google Voice can act a your voicemail service, or Google any number of free voicemail services online (some have apps, some use vmail to email), to use them you just set them up and change the call forwarding on your phone appropriately.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-27-2016 10:48 AM
    Thanks for the help! It's still not working however. I'll give Google Voicemail a shot.
    11-28-2016 04:08 PM
    Thanks for the help! It's still not working however. I'll give Google Voicemail a shot.
    Youmail works great and stores messages for years.
    11-28-2016 05:30 PM