Quite literally. Wasn't sure if I should post this at first. I mean, it's of course my fault. But decided on it. So obviously there's always a debate of case vs. no case or screen protector. Well probably a good idea. Wish I did.

Phone didn't stand a chance against the metal step getting out. I literally heard (sounds redundant) not only the drop but the cracking of the screen and then it hit the pavement. Once you hear a screen crack you can't unhear it it haunts you. It also jetted the sim tray out was able to save the micro SD at least.

The screen...kind of works. I hate Verizon. I'm on T-Mobile but if the turbo 2 was carrier free in the states I'd get it for reasons like this. This is why I can't have nice things. Thank god I still have my nexus 6 at least surprised I haven't dropped free willy yet. That's the last of the rant/PSA warning.

So I'm not entirely sure what my options are now. I got it on Amazon in black Friday it's bamboo version. I don't believe or remember if I was given a warranty option unless it was free I probably didn't. Amazon extended returns until January 30th for holiday shopping.

Can this be returned to amazon and fixed or do I have to go through Lenovo or Motorola to get it fixed. Not sure if they'd fix it since I didn't buy it through them. So just kind of curious if I have any options.

If your curious as to the cause of death. Putting in jacket pocket and slinging it over my shoulder when getting out of vehicle. Damn. Going forward I'm going to protect my phone even if it's a screen protector. Side note. My moto g (2015) has fallen on the pavement before and screen isn't broken or scratched it's drowned and had coffee spilled on it too.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Dead Moto X-12186.jpg  
    01-07-2016 09:15 PM
    Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it won't be extremely expensive to fix.
    01-07-2016 09:25 PM
    I'm no expert, but it seems just the glass is destroyed and not the LCD.
    If it's too costly to have someone else repair, you may consider doing it yourself. It's a really new phone, but parts are probably available.
    I changed an ear speaker in a Moto RAZR M, by watching YouTube videos and getting parts and tools from Amazon.... or maybe it was eBay, that only cost $10 total.
    Good luck!
    312MotoGus likes this.
    01-07-2016 09:51 PM
    I doubt Amazon would take it back since it's a user fault kinda of thing. Moto will definitely fix it though; you'll have to pay (not sure but likely $75-$150) but they will definitely fix it.
    01-07-2016 09:51 PM
    Yes, Moto will repair it for a fee.

01-07-2016 11:01 PM
    Apparently Motorola does not fix broken phone at all, but replace then with "like new" ones, and it costs $199 (and not $150), as the Moto customer service representative told me.
    "Like new" is an unused or lightly used phone. They will also apply all your original moto maker's customizations on the replacement phone.

01-08-2016 03:51 PM
    Apparently Motorola does not fix broken phone at all, but replace then with "like new" ones, and it costs $199 (and not $150), as the Moto customer service representative told me.
    "Like new" is an unused or lightly used phone. They will also apply all your original moto maker's customizations on the replacement phone.

For what type of damage?

When I sent my broken first gen in a little more than a year ago was told the replacement quote was based on the type of damage I reported. (i.e. broken screen vs water damage etc.)
    I was quoted a price for screen "repair" and chose advanced replacement. I was sent a customized replacement phone but they never actually charged me until after they received my broken phone. The price I was charged was about forty dollars less than the price I was quoted.
    I got the impression that the quoted price was "worst case" while the charged price was based on the actual cost of repair.

I could be wrong and/or the policy may have changed since late 2014. Just my 2¢.

01-09-2016 11:36 AM
    Well, that's the quote two Moto c/s reps gave me for repairing a cracked MXPE 2015 screen. we can't go with the advanced replacement program, because we're not a US residents, so the broken device will not get to Motorola on time, and we'll might be charged for the deposit for the temporary device. So we'll go with the regular replacement program of just sending the broken device, and wait for Motorola to send the replacement.

01-10-2016 01:12 AM
    For what type of damage?

When I sent my broken first gen in a little more than a year ago was told the replacement quote was based on the type of damage I reported. (i.e. broken screen vs water damage etc.)
    I was quoted a price for screen "repair" and chose advanced replacement. I was sent a customized replacement phone but they never actually charged me until after they received my broken phone. The price I was charged was about forty dollars less than the price I was quoted.
    I got the impression that the quoted price was "worst case" while the charged price was based on the actual cost of repair.

I could be wrong and/or the policy may have changed since late 2014. Just my 2¢.

$199 is a little steep but if they can send you even a customized moto even if you didn't buy for them that's not a bad idea. I was actually thinking of gifting it to someone (before I broke it) so that's not a bad idea at all. I haven't been able to get to the "repair section" of the moto site because I need to get the IMIE code first. So from my understanding the normal repair is $75-150 for a screen replacement and the advanced repair is basically for an entire new moto even possibly moto maker one? I did look into amazon and yeah a dead end kind of. They actually do outsource (is that the right term) through someone else to repair but they recommend going to the manufacturer since most have a year warranty.

Probably won't hurt to call and make sure they can repair it since it came from amazon. But I'm sure this happens more often then anyone would like it to.
    01-10-2016 06:09 AM
    I did buy both MXPE 2015 directly from Motorola's Web site, after customizing them in Moto Maker.

01-10-2016 07:54 AM
    I forgot my MXPE was in my lap while watching Hateful Eight (long movie) and when got up, mine catapulted in the air and landed on the concrete theater floor. Thought for sure it was broke, but the thin black plastic one piece case protected it completely.

Good $9 investment. Better for grip too than no case.
    01-10-2016 12:36 PM
    It was broken two days before the two Incipio octane cases I've ordered arrived. A real bummer!

01-10-2016 05:31 PM
    I'm glad to hear that the plastic case it came with protected it. I should have used mine but I sim swapped quite a bit and it covers the sim tray slot. Sorry to hear that it broke before the case arrived that really sucks. I've read on these forums about the screen breaking on the moto x too. Hoping the next moto x has the shatterproof screen and is a GSM All Bands phone. That would be instant buy.

So I finally got the IMEI number. Yeah it's not cheap. Basically $199 to send the phone back and have them repair it. And it's $224 to do the advanced repair where they send me a phone while I'm waiting and I send mine back to get repaired. It says something like a $99 deposit too but I believe you get that back.

Basically $400 something for the phone on amazon and now possibly $200 to replace/fix/repair it if I chose to. In all honesty though this phone is well worth $600 dollars and it's amazing what they were able to do for the price. Still though, since I already have my nexus 6 (and love it) I'm debating if it's worth replacing/repairing. I'd love to gift it to someone but part of the joy and special aspect of moto x is customizing it. I wish there was an easy way to gift/customize these phones for someone. As a surprise type thing. I'll call motorola today and see if the moto maker options are an option for me since it's not under warranty/not bought by motorola.

If they are even if it's an extra fee I might go ahead and do it. If nothing more then a memory upgrade although complete customization would be nice. 16 GB just doesn't cut it in 2016 anymore never really did in 2015. If motorola can't and they can just replace the exact model I got. Then I'll have to think about it.
    01-18-2016 02:32 AM