Moto or Nexus? Why'd you get your Moto?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I am having a hard time deciding between the Moto Pure and the Nexus 6P. A little smaller slab size yet same screen size of the Moto is a plus imo.
The Moto's grippy backside is better for going case-less. Another plus, imo. Was wondering if anyone here had this tough decision when buying your device and went with the moto over the 6P. Could use some input. My 6P arrives tomorrow, yet I'm really starting to take a second look at the moto.
Moto's cheaper cost is nice, but doesn't carry that much weight in my decision as I want a solid device that will last me a couple of years. I'm thinking of ordering one to compare it myself, but would love to hear from real owner/users. Has anyone gone with one then decide to go over to the other? If so why, Thanks

BME_

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Nexus has no SD card. Was a deal breaker for me, or else I would have likely gotten the 5x. 6p has horrible build quality

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Nexus has no SD card. Was a deal breaker for me, or else I would have likely gotten the 5x. 6p has horrible build quality
Bad build quality? This is the first I've heard of this. Seems everyone's been raving about it. Thanks for the input.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The SD Card would've been a necessity for me with any phone that maxes out at 32 GB. But since this is the 1st Moto X you could buy 64GB to use on Verizon, the card slot was just a nice bonus for my needs. That said, it still did have an influence on my decision.

I use most of the Moto features (Display, Voice, camera and flashlight gestures) and love them, so that ended up tipping the scale more towards Moto for me vs. the FP scanner.

Plus, once I saw the dimensions of these devices, I decided that the MXPE would set the absolute max height/weight that I would tolerate.

Last edited:

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
If you're able to do it, definitely try them out side by side, the return policies are worry free.

I wish I had done that between the MXPE and Turbo 2 just to be sure that I was happier with the MXPE. Since I had Moto Credit, I wouldn't have to worry about two devices tying up my credit card or bank account.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
While I prefer the feel of the soft back, it only adds a little bit of friction vs a smooth back such as the wood backs or the aluminum 6P. I wouldn't factor grippyness (sp?) much.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

This ^, except I would not choose the 5X, because it has only 2GB of RAM.
I did look at the 6P and Nexus 6 (which has a great ROM available), but they are both larger than the MXPE. The cost of the 6P, along with no SD card to out of contention. The 128GB model is $300 more than the 32GB MXPE I bought from Amazon, when it was on sale, last month.
The largest Nexus 6 is only 64GB, with no expandability.
I am sad that there is not more ROMs available for the MXPE, but it's fairly new and this will probably change, in the near future.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I got the 64 GB MXPE, mainly because it was less expensive than the 64 GB Nexus 6P. I'm happy with it.

I would've liked either device. I have a Nexus 7 2013 tablet.

I wasn't concerned about locked bootloader on MXPE, since I won't root it due to root breaking Android Pay.

My Nexus 7 2013 is rooted and running Xposed.

I also like the Moto Display, particularly waving my hand over device to peek at notifications, double twist to open camera, and chop chop to turn on flashlight.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a hard time choosing between the Nexus 6P and the X. I mainly went with the X do to cost and SD expansion. The Moto has surpassed my expectations so that is all good.

vn33

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I went with the MXPE because of the SD storage (important for me), the bang-for-buck value, and also because of Moto Maker, where I can design the phone with a wood back.

awerner9

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
SD card, size and value... In that order. If the SD wasn't a priority, or if I didn't think $900+ was a lot of money, I'd have gotten iPhone 6s Plus.

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Size, Price, SD Card, Moto Maker, Moto Actions, and the speakers. Really did a lot of research in this decision. I realized I wanted a daily phone, not a luxury so the benefits of things like a fingerprint scanner and all metal design, though nice, weren't a necessity. What was, was functionality and for that reason I chose the MXPE. Haven't regretted my decision so far

Sparksx

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I actually have both now because I'm a bit insane. Currently using the Moto X as my daily. It does feel better in the hand and pocket imo. As someone else said, the Moto features are also a very nice touch (a major perk for me is the wave and wake).
The 6P does take better pics in low light and you get the timely updates from Google. I also tend to get better battery life with the 6P. I won't get into the AMOLED vs LCD as I think both panels are nice. The 6P fingerprint scanner is fast action but I wish it was on the front of the device.

All said and done, I liked both devices enough to keep but if I had to choose, it would be the Moto X Pure by a pinch.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually have both because I'm a bit insane. Currently using the Moto X as my daily. It does feel better in the hand and pocket imo. As someone else said, the Moto features are also a very nice touch (a major perk for me is the wave and wake).
The 6P does take better pics in low light and you get the timely updates from Google. I also tend to get better battery life with the 6P. I won't get into the AMOLED vs LCD as I think both panels are nice. The 6P fingerprint scanner is fast action but I wish it was on the front of the device.

All said and done, I liked both devices enough to keep but if I had to choose, it would be the Moto X Pure by a pinch.
Interesting you have both. I have both on the way to me to see which I will decide to keep. I have been, somewhat insanely thinking what if I just kept both, ha.
Do you think one has better RF signal over the other? Moto's in years past have always had stellar RF it seemed.

Sparksx

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Interesting you have both. I have both on the way to me to see which I will decide to keep. I have been, somewhat insanely thinking what if I just kept both, ha.
Do you think one has better RF signal over the other? Moto's in years past have always had stellar RF it seemed.
I have not noticed a major signal difference honestly. I'm sure your mileage will vary.

I did the same thing as you(ordered both and planned on returning one). I actually bought and returned a Moto X Pure last year in favor of a new Nexus 6 (this was purely because I got the Nexus 6 SO cheap). Well, the Nexus 6 starting having issues and got returned. I should have just ordered only the Moto X Pure again but I was tempted and now I have both Moto and 6P. Crazy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz