Moto or Nexus? Why'd you get your Moto?

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Price... I would have gotten the 6P if it was available on amazon at the time of my purchase. I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, my previous phone was dead and I was using a loaner, and Amazon had a sale on the Moto X. I am a Nexus guy, but I have absolutely no issues with the Moto X, so I am fine with it.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I chose the Moto X over the Nexus 6p because the Nexus 6p wasn't even announced at the time. But if I had to choose now, it would be tough. The Moto X is cheaper and better looking in my opinion, but the Nexus has a better processor and low light camera, future updates are guaranteed, and it has a fingerprint scanner. But I love this phone, so I probably would choose it again.

Last edited:

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the Moto X 2013 and 2014 and the phone only had 3 things to improve on - battery life, camera quality, and storage limitation. The Moto X Pure improves on all 3 of these issues - they hit it out of the park by offering an SD card slot. The only reason why I bought the Nexus 6p is because I don't trust Lenovo with updates and I really like the look of the Nexus 6p over the Moto X Pure. I miss the Moto Display - that is the best notification screen on the planet. Moto Actions was pretty awesome as well. The Moto X Pure is also cheaper than the 6p.

The Moto X Pure isn't going to bend either - you have to be careful not to sit on your Nexus 6p according to a few people on the forums. I will say this - I work out, go to construction sites, and sit at my desk with the Nexus 6p in my and it hasn't bent. However, you know the Moto X won't bend - it is a tank.

Seriously I know I am not helping much - but both are great phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the Moto X Pure Edition, Nexus 5X and now have the Nexus 6P. 6P is a better phone in literally every regard but is a tad more expensive. My Moto was good, and I have the Nexus 6 too and had both the 2014 and 2013 Moto X's but the screen shattered and I moved on. My current rankings of the Nexus and Moto phones is this: Nexus 6P > Nexus 5X > Moto X Pure Edition > Nexus 6 > Moto X 2014 > Moto G 2015 > Moto X 2013 > Everything Else. I'd definitely ignore the "poor build quality" trolls and get what has the features you want. If you're going for something to use for a few years, I can't recommend anything except for the 6P. Nothing has better security than a Nexus and that's not going to change soon.

Felix Garcia

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
OP....i had the same dilemma... gladly my co worker who shares cube with me got the Moto X Pure.... got to use it and what not... VERY nice device.... but once the 6P came out it became Option #2.... I got the 6P.... and having to be able to use both of them..... i say get the 6P...
SD cards are nice and all, but they do fail... in 10 + years of me using them, even high end good cards fail. i tend to be the tech guy for my family and friends to recover pictures they lost because sd card went "bad"
the MXP is a little fatter, so i do like the feel of the 6P better, as its solid and premium, not to mention better looking...

android_app

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I got the Moto X 1st Gen simply because it offers stock android and the moto apps included was value added for me. I fell in love when my friend showed off his Moto X and decided to get it. Also, love recording videos with great audio when I go out, usually for concerts or just friends and family outings and all Moto gens have had great stereo audio recording. I had the Nexus S 4G and the Galaxy Nexus, these lacked in audio recording. Moto Display and Moto actions is also a plus. I think Moto go it right this time with all the features on the Moto X Pure, nice camera, bigger battery and always been a fan of the design. I was relucatant to the 5,7 in display but I got used to it.

roxas1011

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I have not noticed a major signal difference honestly. I'm sure your mileage will vary.

I did the same thing as you(ordered both and planned on returning one). I actually bought and returned a Moto X Pure last year in favor of a new Nexus 6 (this was purely because I got the Nexus 6 SO cheap). Well, the Nexus 6 starting having issues and got returned. I should have just ordered only the Moto X Pure again but I was tempted and now I have both Moto and 6P. Crazy

What kind of issues did you have with the Nexus 6? Just curious, as I've been eyeballing it since it's going for $250...

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I was actually comparing the 5X to the MXPE, but some of reasons why I chose the MXPE should still hold true for you. Some may be subjective.

- First and foremost for me was size. I actually was more interested in the Nexus because it was smaller than the MXPE, and coming from an iPhone 4 I wasn't sure how I'd like a large phone. After getting it however, I'm pleasantly surprised how comfortable it is to use, even one handed. Much more so than other devices I've played with like my friends Note 5. I however don't think I'd want to go much bigger than the MXPE, therefore the 6P would be a definite no-go for me.

- One of the subjective points would be design of the device. I'm not a fan of the thin slab with the protruding camera bit. My wife has a Nokia 930 with similar design, although not as pronounced as the nexus devices. The added customization with Motomaker was a plus for me, as I have grown tired of the standard slabs of plastic or metal offered in 2 colors.

- Another subjective point is the Motorola features. For me it was mainly the MotoDisplay. Coming from another OS device, I wasn't sure how notifications and lock screen actions operated, but what I saw of the MotoDisplay intrigued me. the other Motorola features, like twist for camera, chop for flashlight have been nice. Haven't used MotoVoice yet though.

- Final point for me, and again purely subjective, is the brand. While I am a fan of Google and what they are doing with the Nexus Sphere, I am less impressed with past LG (5X) mobile devices, and have no idea who Huawei is (6P). I have however had 3 past Motorola devices and have been pleased.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I chose Moto because:

1. The Moto add-ons are very valuable to me in my day to day use. For example: I have an hour long drive to and from work. I like that out of the box, Motorola designed the phone to talk to me and read my text messages out loud without me needing to touch my device. I don't need a car mode UI. With Moto Voice, I can do everything I need to hands-free. And I don't have to worry about trying to replicate these features with a third party app that may or may not cause extra battery drain.

2. And Moto Display is better for me than Ambient Display and I feel like a Notification LED is an archaic way to handle notifications.

3. Moto Maker. Two options at launch is boring. And Google delayed the US launch of the gold 6P (my Moto X is white with the champagne frame, Cognac leather back, with champagne rear and speaker accents).

4. I predicted it would be cheaper than the Nexus 6P and I was right.

5. Having now held both in hand, I prefer the feel of the Moto X.

6. Too early for me to hop on the USB-C bandwagon. I have too many micro USB cables and chargers laying around. And Quick Charge 2.0 accessories are easy to find.

7. And I'll get hate from the Nexus bros but Nexus has always felt boring to me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
OP....i had the same dilemma... gladly my co worker who shares cube with me got the Moto X Pure.... got to use it and what not... VERY nice device.... but once the 6P came out it became Option #2.... I got the 6P.... and having to be able to use both of them..... i say get the 6P...
SD cards are nice and all, but they do fail... in 10 + years of me using them, even high end good cards fail. i tend to be the tech guy for my family and friends to recover pictures they lost because sd card went "bad"
the MXP is a little fatter, so i do like the feel of the 6P better, as its solid and premium, not to mention better looking...

You don't have to use the SD card slot in the Moto X. And with all of the services available, backing up photos to the cloud should be used in addition to any other storage and backup strategies.

Zack Vaughan

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
This year I'm replacing my (2014) Moto X with the Nexus 6P next month because I thought my MX would continually get OS updates (for a while at least) but they have decided not to in the U.S. which in turn has turned me off Motorola. Also before I had the MX I had and iPhone and was used to getting updates and security patches on a normal basis. On my MX I got one update and that was it. Plus the camera on my MX isn't up to snuff even though the MXP has a better camera now I think I'll play it safe and buy a new Nexus device. Also I don't like the back of the MXP and I like the look of the Nexus 6P better. Plus the display of the N6P is said to look better.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
This year I'm replacing my (2014) Moto X with the Nexus 6P next month because I thought my MX would continually get OS updates (for a while at least) but they have decided not to in the U.S. which in turn has turned me off Motorola..

I was somewhat concerned about this during my decision making process. From what I have gathered, the "Pure" devices should still be getting updates. Only the carrier specific devices are affected by no updates. (FWIW, I'd assume this true for any manufacturer outside of Nexus)

Sparksx

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
What kind of issues did you have with the Nexus 6? Just curious, as I've been eyeballing it since it's going for $250...
The display would just go black. I would restart the phone and everything would be OK for a while but then it would come back. I tried a factory reset by problem persisted. I'm sure I just had a bad egg as their reputation is pretty good and I do think it is still a great phone. For $250, it's definitely worth a shot.

colton groters

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Moto customization and the price point really pulled me in. I could pay 450$ for a phone with 32gb and an sd card slot or pay 500$ for 32gb and no sd card. I have to say I really love this phone. battery life is average but could be better. Fast charging makes up for this, IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What I'm about to say is not really a MXPE vs Nexus thing, but it still may help you make your decision.

Back when I got my Moto X 2013, I was considering the Nexus 6 (which is also made by Motorola). My decision to go with the Moto X was purely a feature thing (at the time). I really was attracted to the voice response and active notifications. At the time, I had a 75 mile (one-way) commute and it would be nice to be able to interact with my phone by voice. I now have a Moto X 2014 (the 2013 had some issues and Motorola replaced it for me), which was the flagship phone and it's stuck on Lollipop 5.0.1. Considering that Motorola is now Lenovo, I would go with a Nexus.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Several posters have mentioned Lenovo as a downside. Is that because they are lackadaisical with pushing updates, something else? I didn't even know they were Motorola now.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Several posters have mentioned Lenovo as a downside. Is that because they are lackadaisical with pushing updates, something else? I didn't even know they were Motorola now.

The downside is they're not Google, and thus updates will be pushed out slower to Motorola phones vs. Nexus phones. However, as long as you stick with a Pure version (i.e., avoid the carrier-branded devices), the Moto phones should get updates for about two years (roughly the same as Nexus devices).

This could change, of course, and that's why some people are wary of Motorola/Lenovo. It happened with the carrier-branded 2014 Moto X. Google, with the noted exception of the Galaxy Nexus, has an excellent track record of supporting Nexus devices. So, if timely updates are very important to you (and you don't want to mess with ROMs), Nexus is the way to go.

For what it's worth, even though I have a 2014 Moto X, I adore the various software (and hardware) additions Moto makes. Waving my hand over my phone to check notifications or the time is magic. Double twist for camera or chop-chop for flashlight is something every phone should have. And Moto Voice, while not perfect, is extremely handy when driving, especially if you live somewhere with hands-free laws. If I had to replace my phone today I would probably go with the Pure for these reasons alone, but it would be a tough choice.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Moto Display and Moto Voice. Having replaced my 2014 Moto X Pure with a Nexus 6 after the Lollipop upgrade fiasco absolutely killed my battery life, I really missed being able to wave and wake and get voice prompts while driving.

I love the fast Nexus updates and the fingerprint scanner, but they're just not enough to get me to give up the value-added features that Moto brings to the table.

And so far, from what I've seen, there's absolutely nothing to worry about from Moto in terms of future updates for non-carrier branded devices. Matt and the Moto team are doing a fantastic job in that department.

Posted via the Android Central App

roxas1011

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
The display would just go black. I would restart the phone and everything would be OK for a while but then it would come back. I tried a factory reset by problem persisted. I'm sure I just had a bad egg as their reputation is pretty good and I do think it is still a great phone. For $250, it's definitely worth a shot.

That's what it sounds like, but good to know regardless! It has all the features that everyone says you can't live without once you have them (front facing speakers, big screen, wireless charging) and for the price, I'm definitely going for it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar