01-26-2016 03:05 PM
62 123
tools
    I am having a hard time deciding between the Moto Pure and the Nexus 6P. A little smaller slab size yet same screen size of the Moto is a plus imo.
    The Moto's grippy backside is better for going case-less. Another plus, imo. Was wondering if anyone here had this tough decision when buying your device and went with the moto over the 6P. Could use some input. My 6P arrives tomorrow, yet I'm really starting to take a second look at the moto.
    Moto's cheaper cost is nice, but doesn't carry that much weight in my decision as I want a solid device that will last me a couple of years. I'm thinking of ordering one to compare it myself, but would love to hear from real owner/users. Has anyone gone with one then decide to go over to the other? If so why, Thanks
    01-14-2016 01:39 PM
    Nexus has no SD card. Was a deal breaker for me, or else I would have likely gotten the 5x. 6p has horrible build quality
    cbreze likes this.
    01-14-2016 01:41 PM
    Nexus has no SD card. Was a deal breaker for me, or else I would have likely gotten the 5x. 6p has horrible build quality
    Bad build quality? This is the first I've heard of this. Seems everyone's been raving about it. Thanks for the input.
    01-14-2016 01:50 PM
    The SD Card would've been a necessity for me with any phone that maxes out at 32 GB. But since this is the 1st Moto X you could buy 64GB to use on Verizon, the card slot was just a nice bonus for my needs. That said, it still did have an influence on my decision.

I use most of the Moto features (Display, Voice, camera and flashlight gestures) and love them, so that ended up tipping the scale more towards Moto for me vs. the FP scanner.

Plus, once I saw the dimensions of these devices, I decided that the MXPE would set the absolute max height/weight that I would tolerate.
    cbreze and Dr Claw like this.
    01-14-2016 02:03 PM
    If you're able to do it, definitely try them out side by side, the return policies are worry free.

I wish I had done that between the MXPE and Turbo 2 just to be sure that I was happier with the MXPE. Since I had Moto Credit, I wouldn't have to worry about two devices tying up my credit card or bank account.
    cbreze likes this.
    01-14-2016 02:08 PM
    While I prefer the feel of the soft back, it only adds a little bit of friction vs a smooth back such as the wood backs or the aluminum 6P. I wouldn't factor grippyness (sp?) much.
    cbreze likes this.
    01-14-2016 02:12 PM
    This ^, except I would not choose the 5X, because it has only 2GB of RAM.
    I did look at the 6P and Nexus 6 (which has a great ROM available), but they are both larger than the MXPE. The cost of the 6P, along with no SD card to out of contention. The 128GB model is $300 more than the 32GB MXPE I bought from Amazon, when it was on sale, last month.
    The largest Nexus 6 is only 64GB, with no expandability.
    I am sad that there is not more ROMs available for the MXPE, but it's fairly new and this will probably change, in the near future.
    cbreze and Tadrift like this.
    01-14-2016 02:16 PM
    I got the 64 GB MXPE, mainly because it was less expensive than the 64 GB Nexus 6P. I'm happy with it.

I would've liked either device. I have a Nexus 7 2013 tablet.

I wasn't concerned about locked bootloader on MXPE, since I won't root it due to root breaking Android Pay.

My Nexus 7 2013 is rooted and running Xposed.

I also like the Moto Display, particularly waving my hand over device to peek at notifications, double twist to open camera, and chop chop to turn on flashlight.
    01-14-2016 02:23 PM
    Great comments everyone, really appreciate it
    01-14-2016 03:54 PM
    I had a hard time choosing between the Nexus 6P and the X. I mainly went with the X do to cost and SD expansion. The Moto has surpassed my expectations so that is all good.
    cbreze and dmark44 like this.
    01-14-2016 04:07 PM
    I went with the MXPE because of the SD storage (important for me), the bang-for-buck value, and also because of Moto Maker, where I can design the phone with a wood back.
    cbreze likes this.
    01-14-2016 04:25 PM
    SD card, size and value... In that order. If the SD wasn't a priority, or if I didn't think $900+ was a lot of money, I'd have gotten iPhone 6s Plus.
    cbreze and dmark44 like this.
    01-14-2016 05:25 PM
    Moto maker and the price. $25/month for 18 months
    cbreze and Ry like this.
    01-14-2016 08:37 PM
    size,shape( moto fits right in the hand)sd card,price
    cbreze likes this.
    01-14-2016 10:47 PM
    size,shape( moto fits right in the hand)sd card,price
    It does look like it would be quite comfortable to hold. Points for that for sure.
    01-14-2016 11:04 PM
    It does look like it would be quite comfortable to hold. Points for that for sure.
    It is, and I don't have huge hands. The small bezels make it easier to hold.
    cbreze likes this.
    01-14-2016 11:28 PM
    Size, Price, SD Card, Moto Maker, Moto Actions, and the speakers. Really did a lot of research in this decision. I realized I wanted a daily phone, not a luxury so the benefits of things like a fingerprint scanner and all metal design, though nice, weren't a necessity. What was, was functionality and for that reason I chose the MXPE. Haven't regretted my decision so far
    Sparksx, cbreze and ScottMGS like this.
    01-15-2016 12:22 AM
    I actually have both now because I'm a bit insane. Currently using the Moto X as my daily. It does feel better in the hand and pocket imo. As someone else said, the Moto features are also a very nice touch (a major perk for me is the wave and wake).
    The 6P does take better pics in low light and you get the timely updates from Google. I also tend to get better battery life with the 6P. I won't get into the AMOLED vs LCD as I think both panels are nice. The 6P fingerprint scanner is fast action but I wish it was on the front of the device.

All said and done, I liked both devices enough to keep but if I had to choose, it would be the Moto X Pure by a pinch.
    01-15-2016 12:40 AM
    I actually have both because I'm a bit insane. Currently using the Moto X as my daily. It does feel better in the hand and pocket imo. As someone else said, the Moto features are also a very nice touch (a major perk for me is the wave and wake).
    The 6P does take better pics in low light and you get the timely updates from Google. I also tend to get better battery life with the 6P. I won't get into the AMOLED vs LCD as I think both panels are nice. The 6P fingerprint scanner is fast action but I wish it was on the front of the device.

All said and done, I liked both devices enough to keep but if I had to choose, it would be the Moto X Pure by a pinch.
    Interesting you have both. I have both on the way to me to see which I will decide to keep. I have been, somewhat insanely thinking what if I just kept both, ha.
    Do you think one has better RF signal over the other? Moto's in years past have always had stellar RF it seemed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-15-2016 12:47 AM
    Interesting you have both. I have both on the way to me to see which I will decide to keep. I have been, somewhat insanely thinking what if I just kept both, ha.
    Do you think one has better RF signal over the other? Moto's in years past have always had stellar RF it seemed.
    I have not noticed a major signal difference honestly. I'm sure your mileage will vary.

I did the same thing as you(ordered both and planned on returning one). I actually bought and returned a Moto X Pure last year in favor of a new Nexus 6 (this was purely because I got the Nexus 6 SO cheap). Well, the Nexus 6 starting having issues and got returned. I should have just ordered only the Moto X Pure again but I was tempted and now I have both Moto and 6P. Crazy
    cbreze likes this.
    01-15-2016 01:01 AM
    Price... I would have gotten the 6P if it was available on amazon at the time of my purchase. I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, my previous phone was dead and I was using a loaner, and Amazon had a sale on the Moto X. I am a Nexus guy, but I have absolutely no issues with the Moto X, so I am fine with it.
    cbreze likes this.
    01-15-2016 09:05 AM
    I chose the Moto X over the Nexus 6p because the Nexus 6p wasn't even announced at the time. But if I had to choose now, it would be tough. The Moto X is cheaper and better looking in my opinion, but the Nexus has a better processor and low light camera, future updates are guaranteed, and it has a fingerprint scanner. But I love this phone, so I probably would choose it again.
    Cam G and cbreze like this.
    01-15-2016 10:39 AM
    I had the Moto X 2013 and 2014 and the phone only had 3 things to improve on - battery life, camera quality, and storage limitation. The Moto X Pure improves on all 3 of these issues - they hit it out of the park by offering an SD card slot. The only reason why I bought the Nexus 6p is because I don't trust Lenovo with updates and I really like the look of the Nexus 6p over the Moto X Pure. I miss the Moto Display - that is the best notification screen on the planet. Moto Actions was pretty awesome as well. The Moto X Pure is also cheaper than the 6p.

The Moto X Pure isn't going to bend either - you have to be careful not to sit on your Nexus 6p according to a few people on the forums. I will say this - I work out, go to construction sites, and sit at my desk with the Nexus 6p in my and it hasn't bent. However, you know the Moto X won't bend - it is a tank.

Seriously I know I am not helping much - but both are great phones.
    dmark44 likes this.
    01-15-2016 01:02 PM
    I had the Moto X Pure Edition, Nexus 5X and now have the Nexus 6P. 6P is a better phone in literally every regard but is a tad more expensive. My Moto was good, and I have the Nexus 6 too and had both the 2014 and 2013 Moto X's but the screen shattered and I moved on. My current rankings of the Nexus and Moto phones is this: Nexus 6P > Nexus 5X > Moto X Pure Edition > Nexus 6 > Moto X 2014 > Moto G 2015 > Moto X 2013 > Everything Else. I'd definitely ignore the "poor build quality" trolls and get what has the features you want. If you're going for something to use for a few years, I can't recommend anything except for the 6P. Nothing has better security than a Nexus and that's not going to change soon.
    Laura Knotek and DC Wuff like this.
    01-15-2016 01:13 PM
    OP....i had the same dilemma... gladly my co worker who shares cube with me got the Moto X Pure.... got to use it and what not... VERY nice device.... but once the 6P came out it became Option #2.... I got the 6P.... and having to be able to use both of them..... i say get the 6P...
    SD cards are nice and all, but they do fail... in 10 + years of me using them, even high end good cards fail. i tend to be the tech guy for my family and friends to recover pictures they lost because sd card went "bad"
    the MXP is a little fatter, so i do like the feel of the 6P better, as its solid and premium, not to mention better looking...
    Jaysus and project.in.process like this.
    01-15-2016 01:25 PM
62 123