Softer alert sounds under Marshmallow?

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that alert sounds seem to be softer under Marshmallow? I feel like before I updated that the same exact sounds were very loud if I had the alert volume turned all the way up, but now not so much. I would think it's my custom sounds that I have for texting and email arriving, except the factory default alerts are also very soft now too. It's certainly not the speakers themselves, because if I play music, it's blazing loud. Anyone else notice this?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes.
Not only do the notification skins seem to have less volume.
My sounds for phone call, SMS and gmail change themselves to the digit numbers, which don't exist as sounds and don't make any noise.
I just checked yahoo mail app, because I received new mail today, but didn't hear it.
When I selected the classic sound, which was already selected, it was very quiet. I repeatedly selected it. Each time I pressed it, the sound became louder.
I am totally stock on Marshmallow 6.0.
I was going to deselect INCREASING RINGTONE and see if that helped, but I couldn't find it. I thought sure I had selected it.

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
They are definitely softer and its frustrating. I've also Dr selected increasing volume but it really made no difference.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
They are definitely softer and its frustrating. I've also Dr selected increasing volume but it really made no difference.

It seems to be a system wide issue because I have stock apps that have low alert sounds and third party apps that also have low alert sounds. What I can't figure out is if it's just a Moto X Pure issue or a Marshmallow issue in general.

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I just want the option to set vibration intensity... This thing is a beast with vibrations to the point where people look at me when it goes off haha

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
On a lark last night I tried booting my phone into safe mode and noticed that the alerts were all loud again when the volume was turned to max. Rebooted again into "normal" mode and they all were loud again. Going to see if they go soft again today, but I suggest everyone try that to see if it fixes your problem.

jamesnote

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
On a lark last night I tried booting my phone into safe mode and noticed that the alerts were all loud again when the volume was turned to max. Rebooted again into "normal" mode and they all were loud again. Going to see if they go soft again today, but I suggest everyone try that to see if it fixes your problem.

Hi can you explain a little further? So you booted into safe mode and then pressed the volume up key all the way to the max and then rebooted the phone in "normal" mode? And how do you know if that was the max volume? Did the phone beep when you pressing the volume up key? Thanks.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
When I rebooted into safe mode I made sure that the alert/ring volume was at max and then tried calling and texting my phone. Both the ringtones and text alerts were loud again. I then just restarted my phone again and the alerts have been loud all day.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to note that yesterday I noticed that my alerts/ringtones were once again softer and had to reboot into safe mode to get them loud again. I am wondering if the sleep mode (turn notifications to silent except for priority ones) is messing with the sound under the hood. The only two other apps that I think could be causing the issue are Nova Launcher or Glimpse Notification. Is anyone else that's having this issue running either one of those?

jamesnote

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to note that yesterday I noticed that my alerts/ringtones were once again softer and had to reboot into safe mode to get them loud again. I am wondering if the sleep mode (turn notifications to silent except for priority ones) is messing with the sound under the hood. The only two other apps that I think could be causing the issue are Nova Launcher or Glimpse Notification. Is anyone else that's having this issue running either one of those?

I followed your steps about rebooting into safe mode and back to normal mode, my notification sounds are pretty loud now. Not obnoxiously loud or anything but reasonable that I'm not complaining about it. And I don't have the sleep mode enabled.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I followed your steps about rebooting into safe mode and back to normal mode, my notification sounds are pretty loud now. Not obnoxiously loud or anything but reasonable that I'm not complaining about it. And I don't have the sleep mode enabled.

BTW, when I said sleep mode, I meant Do Not disturb mode. So you don't have DND mode turned on automatically at night?

Nullgrad Apps

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm the author of Glimpse Notifications and I can assure you that the app does not interfere with any media business. All it does is ensure that the notification sound has been fully played before turning on the screen, because the Marshmallow system lockscreen tends to cut off sounds.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Glimpse is the issue, but it is a third party app that does run all the time, so it has to be considered.

I have noticed that yesterday when I had the alerts go soft again that a simple reboot (not a safe reboot) fixed the issue. It hadn't fixed the issue in the past though, so not sure why it did this time.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Arggg, I am still having this issue happen multiple times a week. Each time a restart fixes the issue, but there's never any consistency of when it happens. Sometimes, it stays loud for a few days and sometimes it's a day or less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463