Considering Android Pay

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've only used it a handful of times since I have now Samsung Pay, which is a lot easier to use anywhere. But Android Pay is also quite good (I've used Wallet before that, and that was also good). Security is a lot higher than using your actual credit card, it lets you add Loyalty Cards (something I sorely miss in Samsung Pay), supports more cards than Samsung, but it does have a couple caveats:
1) It uses NFC payments. That means not all stores take it. For a list of official stores that take it, go here: Android – Android Pay (But basically any terminal that takes contact-less payment should work. Personally I've used it at Carl's Jr. and Sprouts and I thiiiiink I saw it at Target? Not sure about the latter.)
2) You can't switch payment cards as easily. Android Pay lets you select a default card and it will use that to pay for things. Should you want to use a different card, then you have to go to said card, set it as default, and then make the payment. Rinse and repeat whenever you want to switch cards. That sucks. Hope they change that in the near future.

Also, there's a promo right now that could get you a free Chromecast!
Android Pay's 'Tap 10' promotion can score you free music and a Chromecast | Android Central
Not everyone is seeing the offer (and you DO need to see/add the offer or it won't work) and what's more, some people that are seeing the offer are getting only free songs, not a free chromecast. In my case, I haven't even seen the offer show up :(

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, you can go here for the merchants that support it officially : https://www.android.com/pay/ Though, I've heard that any business that supports Apple Pay will also work with Android Pay, whether they say they support Android Pay or not. But I haven't verified that.

As for usefulness? Meh.... I never thought taking out my credit card was all that hard to do. And NFC payments aren't ubiquitous quite yet. If they get EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING, well, then it gets better. I mean, in Disney World, on property, they let you use the Magic Band to pay for everything with a tap and a PIN. That was got really easy to use... and AP will/should eliminate the PIN part of it. But if it isn't everywhere you shop, you gotta deal with figuring that out when you pay.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, you can go here for the merchants that support it officially : https://www.android.com/pay/ Though, I've heard that any business that supports Apple Pay will also work with Android Pay, whether they say they support Android Pay or not. But I haven't verified that.

As for usefulness? Meh.... I never thought taking out my credit card was all that hard to do. And NFC payments aren't ubiquitous quite yet. If they get EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING, well, then it gets better. I mean, in Disney World, on property, they let you use the Magic Band to pay for everything with a tap and a PIN. That was got really easy to use... and AP will/should eliminate the PIN part of it. But if it isn't everywhere you shop, you gotta deal with figuring that out when you pay.

Which is why Samsung Pay has the upper hand: Fingerprint, tap on any -swipe- credit card terminal, done.

Also bear in mind that SOME banks/cards still require you to input a PIN on their PIN Pad, even if you pay with Android or Samsung Pay, and some vendors might ask for the last four digits showing in the screen (I've only come across this once, and remember, either AP or SP uses a virtual card number, so that's different than your plastic one, which is why they ask for the one showing up in your screen).

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I use it at Jimmy Johns.Works every time. Ive also been told by the staff im the only one that uses my phone to pay for food.

lewwill

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Works on any terminal that takes Apple pay, Android pay or Samsung pay. Very simple to use and it uses a virtual card instead of your card number to pay. It is later transferred to your card by the card issuer. Much more secure. Even up here in the woods of NH most are taking it..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Works on any terminal that takes Apple pay, Android pay or Samsung pay. Very simple to use and it uses a virtual card instead of your card number to pay. It is later transferred to your card by the card issuer. Much more secure. Even up here in the woods of NH most are taking it..

Not quite. Samsung Pay is accepted on any terminal that takes Apple and Android Pay (or contactless payments, for that matter, since there are a bunch of bank apps that now support this as well), BUT not the other way around...because Samsung Pay is accepted on any swipe-type card terminal as well, even if they're not NFC-enabled.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Even if you don't intend to use it everyday, I'd still just set it up just in case.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

wtjra70

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sadly though Moto X Pure Edition, wasn't equipped with NFC. Mabey next year well Lenovo will put it back on along with a finger print sensor.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Sadly though Moto X Pure Edition, wasn't equipped with NFC. Mabey next year well Lenovo will put it back on along with a finger print sensor.

I don't know if I don't understand you, but the MXPE definitely has NFC...And it definitely works with Android Pay....

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This post is incorrect.

The Moto X Pure Edition has NFC.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
94d7a958c942abb35137d6607e7c0f1d.jpg

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6P (saw the post in the trending section). I used it twice yesterday, BJ's Wholesale club and my local grocery store (just enabled it this week but didn't turn on the reader for chip cards for some reason). LOVE not having to dig in my pocket for my wallet (in the winter I wear a coat and my phone goes in a coat pocket), just unlock and tap, payment done.

Last month I had a $30 purchase turn into a $20 Best Buy gift card, which I used towards a Chromecast. I now regret that decision, I can now easily get 10 taps by the end of Feb. to get me another Chromecast. Now if only more of my credit cards would natively support it - Chase and Key Bank are not supported at all and Discover uses a Bancorp virtual card so any bonus cashback awards based on merchant type don't get applied so I have one card that works properly.

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
This is the info for anybody wondering about the Android pay tap 10 promo. I haven't seen anything for the promo myself . This is what google said the promo starts Jan 19. Screenshot_2016-01-17-20-24-54-1.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that sucks. Also some are reporting that they're receiving the Tap 10 promo (I haven't seen it in mine), but they're not being offered a Chromecast, just songs.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that sucks. Also some are reporting that they're receiving the Tap 10 promo (I haven't seen it in mine), but they're not being offered a Chromecast, just songs.

You only get the Chromecast once you hit 10 taps. I thought it was a song for each tap but it looks like it's only at certain levels.

I have the promo showing in my Pay app, I wonder if it matters what device you have...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You only get the Chromecast once you hit 10 taps. I thought it was a song for each tap but it looks like it's only at certain levels.

I have the promo showing in my Pay app, I wonder if it matters what device you have...

Yeah, but if you look at the details of YOUR Tap 10 card, it does say that the Chromecast comes at the 10th tap. Some are seeing only songs at each tap level, no Chromecast. So this promo is too random for my taste haha.