01-20-2016 01:24 PM
30 12
tools
    Can you tell me experiences with it - usefulness - stores that support it?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-15-2016 03:19 PM
    I've only used it a handful of times since I have now Samsung Pay, which is a lot easier to use anywhere. But Android Pay is also quite good (I've used Wallet before that, and that was also good). Security is a lot higher than using your actual credit card, it lets you add Loyalty Cards (something I sorely miss in Samsung Pay), supports more cards than Samsung, but it does have a couple caveats:
    1) It uses NFC payments. That means not all stores take it. For a list of official stores that take it, go here: Android – Android Pay (But basically any terminal that takes contact-less payment should work. Personally I've used it at Carl's Jr. and Sprouts and I thiiiiink I saw it at Target? Not sure about the latter.)
    2) You can't switch payment cards as easily. Android Pay lets you select a default card and it will use that to pay for things. Should you want to use a different card, then you have to go to said card, set it as default, and then make the payment. Rinse and repeat whenever you want to switch cards. That sucks. Hope they change that in the near future.

Also, there's a promo right now that could get you a free Chromecast!
    Android Pay's 'Tap 10' promotion can score you free music and a Chromecast | Android Central
    Not everyone is seeing the offer (and you DO need to see/add the offer or it won't work) and what's more, some people that are seeing the offer are getting only free songs, not a free chromecast. In my case, I haven't even seen the offer show up
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-15-2016 03:33 PM
    Well, you can go here for the merchants that support it officially : https://www.android.com/pay/ Though, I've heard that any business that supports Apple Pay will also work with Android Pay, whether they say they support Android Pay or not. But I haven't verified that.

As for usefulness? Meh.... I never thought taking out my credit card was all that hard to do. And NFC payments aren't ubiquitous quite yet. If they get EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING, well, then it gets better. I mean, in Disney World, on property, they let you use the Magic Band to pay for everything with a tap and a PIN. That was got really easy to use... and AP will/should eliminate the PIN part of it. But if it isn't everywhere you shop, you gotta deal with figuring that out when you pay.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-15-2016 03:37 PM
    Well, you can go here for the merchants that support it officially : https://www.android.com/pay/ Though, I've heard that any business that supports Apple Pay will also work with Android Pay, whether they say they support Android Pay or not. But I haven't verified that.

As for usefulness? Meh.... I never thought taking out my credit card was all that hard to do. And NFC payments aren't ubiquitous quite yet. If they get EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING, well, then it gets better. I mean, in Disney World, on property, they let you use the Magic Band to pay for everything with a tap and a PIN. That was got really easy to use... and AP will/should eliminate the PIN part of it. But if it isn't everywhere you shop, you gotta deal with figuring that out when you pay.
    Which is why Samsung Pay has the upper hand: Fingerprint, tap on any -swipe- credit card terminal, done.

Also bear in mind that SOME banks/cards still require you to input a PIN on their PIN Pad, even if you pay with Android or Samsung Pay, and some vendors might ask for the last four digits showing in the screen (I've only come across this once, and remember, either AP or SP uses a virtual card number, so that's different than your plastic one, which is why they ask for the one showing up in your screen).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-15-2016 03:45 PM
    I use Android Pay at Trader Joe's.
    01-15-2016 05:23 PM
    I use it at Jimmy Johns.Works every time. Ive also been told by the staff im the only one that uses my phone to pay for food.
    01-15-2016 05:38 PM
    I just used it at Walgreens about ½ hour ago.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-15-2016 05:48 PM
    Works on any terminal that takes Apple pay, Android pay or Samsung pay. Very simple to use and it uses a virtual card instead of your card number to pay. It is later transferred to your card by the card issuer. Much more secure. Even up here in the woods of NH most are taking it..
    01-15-2016 05:58 PM
    Works on any terminal that takes Apple pay, Android pay or Samsung pay. Very simple to use and it uses a virtual card instead of your card number to pay. It is later transferred to your card by the card issuer. Much more secure. Even up here in the woods of NH most are taking it..
    Not quite. Samsung Pay is accepted on any terminal that takes Apple and Android Pay (or contactless payments, for that matter, since there are a bunch of bank apps that now support this as well), BUT not the other way around...because Samsung Pay is accepted on any swipe-type card terminal as well, even if they're not NFC-enabled.
    01-15-2016 06:12 PM
    Even if you don't intend to use it everyday, I'd still just set it up just in case.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Laura Knotek and thejesse like this.
    01-15-2016 06:28 PM
    But Samsung Pay vs Android Pay... One will end up working on a MXPE, one won't.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-15-2016 09:44 PM
    Sadly though Moto X Pure Edition, wasn't equipped with NFC. Mabey next year well Lenovo will put it back on along with a finger print sensor.

01-16-2016 10:19 AM
    Sadly though Moto X Pure Edition, wasn't equipped with NFC. Mabey next year well Lenovo will put it back on along with a finger print sensor.

I don't know if I don't understand you, but the MXPE definitely has NFC...And it definitely works with Android Pay....
    Laura Knotek and ScottMGS like this.
    01-16-2016 10:23 AM

This post is incorrect.

The Moto X Pure Edition has NFC.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Laura Knotek and Cam G like this.
    01-16-2016 10:48 AM
    Cam G likes this.
    01-16-2016 02:10 PM
    I have a Nexus 6P (saw the post in the trending section). I used it twice yesterday, BJ's Wholesale club and my local grocery store (just enabled it this week but didn't turn on the reader for chip cards for some reason). LOVE not having to dig in my pocket for my wallet (in the winter I wear a coat and my phone goes in a coat pocket), just unlock and tap, payment done.

Last month I had a $30 purchase turn into a $20 Best Buy gift card, which I used towards a Chromecast. I now regret that decision, I can now easily get 10 taps by the end of Feb. to get me another Chromecast. Now if only more of my credit cards would natively support it - Chase and Key Bank are not supported at all and Discover uses a Bancorp virtual card so any bonus cashback awards based on merchant type don't get applied so I have one card that works properly.
    01-17-2016 01:21 PM
    This is the info for anybody wondering about the Android pay tap 10 promo. I haven't seen anything for the promo myself . This is what google said the promo starts Jan 19. Considering Android Pay-screenshot_2016-01-17-20-24-54-1.jpg
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-17-2016 09:29 PM
    Yeah, that sucks. Also some are reporting that they're receiving the Tap 10 promo (I haven't seen it in mine), but they're not being offered a Chromecast, just songs.
    01-18-2016 01:02 PM
    Yeah, that sucks. Also some are reporting that they're receiving the Tap 10 promo (I haven't seen it in mine), but they're not being offered a Chromecast, just songs.
    You only get the Chromecast once you hit 10 taps. I thought it was a song for each tap but it looks like it's only at certain levels.

I have the promo showing in my Pay app, I wonder if it matters what device you have...

01-18-2016 02:46 PM
    You only get the Chromecast once you hit 10 taps. I thought it was a song for each tap but it looks like it's only at certain levels.

I have the promo showing in my Pay app, I wonder if it matters what device you have...

Yeah, but if you look at the details of YOUR Tap 10 card, it does say that the Chromecast comes at the 10th tap. Some are seeing only songs at each tap level, no Chromecast. So this promo is too random for my taste haha.
    01-18-2016 03:30 PM
    Yeah, but if you look at the details of YOUR Tap 10 card, it does say that the Chromecast comes at the 10th tap. Some are seeing only songs at each tap level, no Chromecast. So this promo is too random for my taste haha.
    You are correct, mine says free song at 1, 4, 7 taps and $35 credit in the Play Store for a Chromecast at 10 taps.
    01-18-2016 04:35 PM
    I've read from others that Android Pay drains battery. Is this true?
    And is Android Pay more or less useful than Google Wallet?

01-18-2016 09:09 PM
    The only additional battery drain will come from having NFC on all the time (you could disable it until you need it but that defeats the convenience of tap and pay) and any time your screen spends turned on while making the payment.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-18-2016 09:12 PM
    Been using Android Pay often since I set it up on my MXPE about six weeks ago, and I am liking it. Whole Foods takes it, my neighborhood Foodtown takes it, Century 21 Department Store takes it, as well Rite Aid. Basically any place that takes Apple Pay takes Android Pay, I've had a few cashiers be surprised that phones other than iPhones work! And more terminals are being turned on too, the lists out there of participating merchants are far from comprehensive.

I got the current Tap 10 promo - only songs though, at 2, 5 and 10 taps.
    01-18-2016 11:11 PM
    Been using Android Pay often since I set it up on my MXPE about six weeks ago, and I am liking it. Whole Foods takes it, my neighborhood Foodtown takes it, Century 21 Department Store takes it, as well Rite Aid. Basically any place that takes Apple Pay takes Android Pay, I've had a few cashiers be surprised that phones other than iPhones work! And more terminals are being turned on too, the lists out there of participating merchants are far from comprehensive.

I got the current Tap 10 promo - only songs though, at 2, 5 and 10 taps.
    Aha! See? There ARE people only getting songs for the promo I still got nothing haha so I'm even more screwed.
    01-19-2016 01:21 PM
30 12