MOTO X PURE & NOVA and other newbie questions

checksergio

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
So I have been a long time Nova user and I just bought the Moto X Pure to replace a Note 4 that was giving me headaches. First thing- its already just one day but I am already getting frustrated by what seems to be a bug with Nova and Marshmallow where I can't long press app folders to get edit options/constant crashes (there is an advisory from Nova about Marshmallow compatibility but it doesn't mention this particular problem leaving me wondering if its the phone itself)...Anyone else having the same issue?

Also, coming from the Note, a much bigger phone and also loaded with unnecessary carrier bloatware- what in the world makes the Pure so slow to shut down and reboot?? Its almost as if there is no flash storage in this thing

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I use Nova Launcher Prime on my Moto X Pure Edition, and I do not have that problem on my device. I installed Nova Launcher Prime on the day I got the device. I did not do a factory reset after getting the Marshmallow update, and Nova Launcher Prime kept working fine for me.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen that problem being reported before. When does the edit process crash? Right after the long press, when you tap any option on the edit popup or after that? Could you give us more details?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's strange. When you say that Nova crashes, what do you mean? Do you get any specific error when this happens? But most important, this phone is not slow at all and it shouldn't reboot on its own as you said. Maybe you have a faulty unit that needs to be replaced.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I use Nova Launcher Prime on my Moto X Pure Edition, and I do not have that problem on my device. I installed Nova Launcher Prime on the day I got the device. I did not do a factory reset after getting the Marshmallow update, and Nova Launcher Prime kept working fine for me.

Ditto. I've had zero problems with Nova on my MXPE. Just tested to be sure and long-press for folder editing and recent apps both work flawlessly.

jamesnote

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
That's strange. When you say that Nova crashes, what do you mean? Do you get any specific error when this happens? But most important, this phone is not slow at all and it shouldn't reboot on its own as you said. Maybe you have a faulty unit that needs to be replaced.

The phone is not necessarily slow in terms of opening/closing apps, and responsive. But I think I might have the same issue as the poster that is it seems like the phone takes exceptionally longer to turn off (right after you press Power Off). And this phone claims to have no bloatware. Turning it on is not that fast either, but not too painfully slow. Just meh..

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: MOTO X PURE & NOVA and other newbie questions

The phone is not necessarily slow in terms of opening/closing apps, and responsive. But I think I might have the same issue as the poster that is it seems like the phone takes exceptionally longer to turn off (right after you press Power Off). And this phone claims to have no bloatware. Turning it on is not that fast either, but not too painfully slow. Just meh..

Thanks James! Misread the OP first post and thought that he was having general crashes and reboots. So just the Nova issue then.

You could try restarting Nova. Open the app settings - scroll down - tap on advanced and select Restart Nova launcher.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea I don't have any slowness in the phones usage or experience... But turning it off takes a solid 30 seconds and on can take a couple minutes. It's kinda weird. But once it's on its great :)

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Yea I don't have any slowness in the phones usage or experience... But turning it off takes a solid 30 seconds and on can take a couple minutes. It's kinda weird. But once it's on its great :)

Phone boot times seem doubly odd considering I can boot up my gaming PC in <10 seconds these days.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Right when I long press the folder icon. Also when I try to open the recent apps from the pulldown menu.
When I long press a folder, created using Nova Prime Launcher, on the home screen, I receive a popup with two choices; EDIT and REMOVE.
How do you open recent apps from a pull down? I use the recent apps soft key on the navigation bar.

checksergio

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Well that is my problem right there- if I click a folder I briefly view the EDIT/Remove options, then when I release my finger to touch either option, the option disappears in a flash! This behavior does not happen on an App by itself- the fact that it is not happening to you leads me to think that its not by design.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: MOTO X PURE &amp; NOVA and other newbie questions

Well that is my problem right there- if I click a folder I briefly view the EDIT/Remove options, then when I release my finger to touch either option, the option disappears in a flash! This behavior does not happen on an App by itself- the fact that it is not happening to you leads me to think that its not by design.

Have you already tried to restart Nova launcher as I mentioned before? Better if you reboot your phone after this. Also you could try switching lock desktop on & off in Nova settings - desktop.

checksergio

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Have you already tried to restart Nova launcher as I mentioned before? Better if you reboot your phone after this. Also you could try switching lock desktop on & off in Nova settings - desktop.

Question: what happens if you try edit/remove your folders after a long press? I am beginning to wonder if this by design as when I go inside the folder, long press the app inside, the options work

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Question: what happens if you try edit/remove your folders after a long press? I am beginning to wonder if this by design as when I go inside the folder, long press the app inside, the options work

I get the edit/remove menu. It works the same for any kind of home screen icon (app, folder or widget).

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I've done a bunch of editing, changing icons of both apps and folders, changing to "Swipe to open folder" behavior with secondary tap action, changed folder names etc. What you're seeing is definitely not how it's supposed to work. If the restart Javier suggested doesn't do the trick, you might try uninstalling & reinstalling Nova. Make sure you backup your layout 1st.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

I've been using Nova for a long time. Just checked it now and the same happens in my case too. If I long press a folder I get the menu and then it disappears and the folder moves. Didn't see it before to be honest.
However you can always change the name of the folder by just opening the folder and typing inside the name field and of course you can delete the folder by dragging it to the big X.

PS Restarting Nova doesn't change the behavior.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've been using Nova for a long time. Just checked it now and the same happens in my case too. If I long press a folder I get the menu and then it disappears and the folder moves. Didn't see it before to be honest.
However you can always change the name of the folder by just opening the folder and typing inside the name field and of course you can delete the folder by dragging it to the big X.

Are you using a custom icon for your folders? You could try a couple of things.

- Create a new folder and see if the problem persists. Also, drag one of the shortcuts outside and then check the long press for the folder again.

- Clear the user cache in settings - storage & USB - internal storage - cached data and then reboot.

- Wipe the cache partition on recovery.

checksergio

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy lol

checksergio

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Well the only thing left is to do a factory restore, I have reinstalled, wiped cache, rebooted- the works but its not such an important feature that I will miss- especially that it actually might be by design as Loiter has the same issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund