Is 16GB enough storage? [Moto X Pure Edition]

fathom39

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
What kind of and how many apps do you have? What's been your experience with 16 GB?

My M7 has about 50 downloaded apps and I use maybe half of them regularly. They include banking, shopping (eBay, Amazon), information (Wikipedia, reddit), etc. No games or social media. I would like to think I could get by with MXPE 16 and send all photos and video to SD. I'm not interested in adopting.

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: MXPE 16GB owners - is it enough?

I have the 16GB. If you have the extra money I would go with the 32Gb just for the extra protection for the future.

With that being said, I am easily surviving with my model. I have a 64Gb SD card in it for all files and I have about 3GB open in the internal storage. As long as you frequently clear your cache, you shouldn't have many problems.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to help

Repr1sal

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site

Its not quite enough if your an app addict or like to play alot of games (usually huge files)
Of course you can store pictures and vid easily on SD, but the ability to move app data as was possible pre Marshmallow is gone. You could of course mount SD as internal, but the majority of opinions ive read seem to point to high possibility of some apps running a bit slower.
I'd go witha minimum of 32gb internal, and leave the SD as portable.

Android Central app on Moto X Pure

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I bought the 16gb version not realizing that you can't move apps to the SD card with marshmallow unless you use your micro SD card as adoptable storage.
I'd say no, 16 gb is not enough. I dont have or use a ton of apps and I was almost out of space.
I ended up buying a 64gb uhs sd card and using it as internal storage, but if I could go back, I'd just buy a phone with more internal memory.
32 gb would have been plenty for me.

Edit: just counted, I have around 35 apps installed, one is a game that takes up almost a gb, but the rest are bank apps, eBay, nextbus, stuff like that. no social media. I had less than a gb left.

Posted via the Android Central App

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting the 32G one. It's pretty close to the Find 7 I have now except the Find 7 runs 4.3.

Lots of good info here. Wish I'd known about the SD card, but I suppose that's the sign of the times.
Looks like I'll be able to customize most of the phone so that's ok.

My biggest problem will be apps. I don't sync with Google and I'd prefer not to. I have 4 apps that have been updated and I don't want the updated version which is probably what I'd get.
Green Mountain Digital has put out the Audubon Guides and did a very nice job at first. Now they want everyone to socialize, do this, do that, etc.and you are automatically enrolled in chat groups. Almost as bad as some live Audubon groups. (I've been a member) GMD is also the maker of Keurig. Remember DRM in brew cups?

In any case, I'd prefer what I have. I also had to buy apps TWICE! Google refused to allow 3 of the guides on the Oppo. Said the phone wasn't compatible. I repurchased from Amazon when on sale for 99 cents. Now Google has the updates. I'd just like to keep the versions I have.

I try to purchase all my apps, and most are in Play and most could be downloaded again. Except the Audubon Guides.

Thanks

I do have Helium, and wouldn't mind purchasing the pro version or another program that would transfer these apps as they sit with NO update.

Is there any other solution to transferring apps between phones? Would Helium Pro work?

I thought I hit add new thread. Apparently I didn't. Please move if post doesn't belong here.

fathom39

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks CamG and ITV,

I think I could actively manage 16 but it sounds like both of you wished you didn't have to. Going to 32 makes it the same price as 6p gold. Difficult decision. I like everything about MXPE vs 6p except the low light camera problem. What have you noticed about this? Is the flash too strong in these situations?

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

I actually love the camera and think it takes perfectly good low light photos. I honestly don't understand the bad reviews.
The app itself isn't very good, but I think it takes better photos than my old galaxy s5 and my husbands iPhone 5s.
I think I'm in the minority with that opinion though.
The only thing I really don't like about the XPE is battery life. I get 3.5 hrs screen on time. It will sleep forever but runs down pretty quickly when the screen is on.
I'm not sure what they're saying about battery and the 6p.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I bought the 16gb version not realizing that you can't move apps to the SD card with marshmallow unless you use your micro SD card as adoptable storage.
I'd say no, 16 gb is not enough. I dont have or use a ton of apps and I was almost out of space.
I ended up buying a 64gb uhs sd card and using it as internal storage, but if I could go back, I'd just buy a phone with more internal memory.
32 gb would have been plenty for me.

Edit: just counted, I have around 35 apps installed, one is a game that takes up almost a gb, but the rest are bank apps, eBay, nextbus, stuff like that. no social media. I had less than a gb left.

This. I have the same and totally agree. If I had it to do over I'd get the 32GB.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

What's wrong with adaptable storage? I'd get the 16 and buy a fast 64gb sdcard and you will be all set.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I've got a 32 and a 16 gb version of this phone. Both have a 32 gb card and are using adaptable storage. I can see no difference between the two when in use.

vn33

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

All my previous phones had only 16Gb, and I decided to get the 32Gb version this time. I can say that I'm glad I made this decision. I'm not a gamer, nor an App addict.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

It would be enough for me, but decided to error on the side of caution and got the 32GB. Better to be future protected since I plan on keeping this one awhile and never know how my needs and wants could change.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Honestly, with the size of operating systems, I don't know why 16GB devices should even be offered on high end models. If you're planning on doing more than make/receive calls, emails and a little social media, 32GB should be your minimum internal memory.

johnnex72

May 1, 2012
Visit site

New guy here. Just picked up a Moto X Pure Edition, 16gb for $350 at a big box store ($399 for the device and a $50 gift card). As context, I used an HTC One M8, 32gb internal plus 32 gb expanded, from April 2014 until last week. For two years prior to my One M8, I used a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, 32gb internal plus 16gb expanded; and from 2010 to 2012, before my beloved HTC Droid Incredible - had 8gb internal maybe, plus 16gb expanded.

For me, 16gb internal seems to be more than sufficient. My Moto X Pure has 64gb adopted. I chose a Samsung Pro+ microSDXC card; that card seems to be the most consistently highly rated with regard to write and read speeds and Samsung memory has a good reputation for durability.

Now, I'm not a heavy app user, but use my device often and I keep devices two years (not on an upgrade schedule, it's just how it's worked out). My HTC One M8 still functions, and when there's a Marshmallow update available for it, I'll install it for kicks, but it'll be my backup device. The One M8 was snappy, the X Pure, even before adopting memory, seemed ever-so-slightly less snappy, but almost imperceptibility so.

My primary concern with relying on adopted storage is longevity. My microSDXC will be more busy as adopted storage as opposed to expanded, but I backup regularly, so if the storage fails before the device, I can swap out and reinstall my apps. Spotify Premium uses - by a large margin - the most memory. My One M8 had 20gbs dedicated to Spotify Premium because I had a lot of music downloaded for off-line listening. So far, my X Pure has 7.6gb allocated to Spotify. I'm sure that will go up, but it's on the adopted portion of my internal memory so has room to grow.

Of the 16gb on board, my device made usable just over 10gb. Right now, it has about 4.5gb availy, but I can clear the cache of all or certain apps (gmail, I'm looking at you!) and make more room. My primary apps are gmail, Drive, Spotify Premium, Chrome, camera, gallery and youtube. I use Google Cast also for an audio Chromecast and a first-gen video Chromecast.

All my apps work as well or better than they did on my One M8. The improved performance could be due to a number of factors: I'm running 6.0, have a better processor, my One M8 has been beat up pretty badly, etc. I just know that at this early point, for me, a 16gb with a top of the line microSDXC card as adopted storage is working great. I was about to buy a Nexus 6P and would have had to buy the 64gb version if not the 128gb. For $200 less, I'm really happy with my choice.

Notes: I'm on VZW. I activated VoLTE (VZW calls it HD Calling or something) on my account for free, then the option appeared on my device and I turned it on. Coming from the One M8, I'm amazed. My phone is actually a phone! Who woulda guessed? Also, the X Pure's camera is laughably superior to the One M8's. I used to carry my DSLR just to snap casual pics because the One M8's camera was, unless used under perfect lighting for macro shots or outdoors in perfect lighting with jacked-up HDR (which was obvious in pics), virtually useless. I love being able to take photos with my phone.

Lastly, I don't use Facebook, the app or the website and given how much battery and memory FB uses, YMMV.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Honestly, with the size of operating systems, I don't know why 16GB devices should even be offered on high end models. If you're planning on doing more than make/receive calls, emails and a little social media, 32GB should be your minimum internal memory.

Because honestly, 16GB can still and does still work for enough people.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Because honestly, 16GB can still and does still work for enough people.

True. It just depends on how you use your phone. But if you're looking to use all/most of the capabilities of a high-end phone, 16GB is probably not gonna be enough.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

When google play apps get updated that are on the SD card, do they move back to internal storage? Problem I have with my S5...very annoying

I'm thiking of getting the 16GB variant (used for $260 right now) with a 64 GB SD. Is the adoptable storage truly awesome and seamless? Or a gimmick...

Last edited:

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

When google play apps get updated that are on the SD card, do they move back to internal storage? Problem I have with my S5...very annoying

I'm thiking of getting the 16GB variant (used for $260 right now) with a 64 GB SD. Is the adoptable storage truly awesome and seamless? Or a gimmick...

I think that the ones that are already moved stay where they are but you can't move any new ones over. Not 100% on that though. I did have to uninstall and reinstall two or three apps.
I haven't noticed any difference in speed between my adopted storage and regular storage. You should make sure you get a UHS sd card with good read/write speeds for best results. There's a thread about it here somewhere. I bought mine on sale from Costco.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I think that the ones that are already moved stay where they are but you can't move any new ones over. Not 100% on that though. I did have to uninstall and reinstall two or three apps.
I haven't noticed any difference in speed between my adopted storage and regular storage. You should make sure you get a UHS sd card with good read/write speeds for best results. There's a thread about it here somewhere. I bought mine on sale from Costco.

Thanks-

I have a Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC Card with Adapter up to 48/MB/s UHS-1

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

They would stay, so to speak, because the only way to move apps to the SD card is to format it as adaptable storage and the phone would consider (and show and report) the SD card as internal storage. So, basically, it would show the internal storage as 16GB plus whaytever size card you have so something like 32GB if you had a 16GB card in there. If you do not go the adaptable storage route and just use it like any other SD card you can't move apps onto it, just media.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma