03-17-2018 06:04 PM
41 12
tools
    For a while I thought this was related to the Bluetooth issues I've been having since updating to Marshmallow (I still haven't tried a system restore... I will eventually), but today it happened while I wasn't connected to Bluetooth...

While I'm listening to music, ever since the Marshmallow update, randomly, for no apparent reason, the music will pause. This happens on Google Play Music, Spotify and Howl.FM (a podcast app). It may happen elsewhere but these are the only music apps I use on a regular basis to notice it. If I hit play it starts right back up. It's not freezing or anything... Just pausing. No notifications or anything are happening that could be causing it. And some days it happens more than others... Sometimes I can get through a dozen songs, sometimes it happens a dozen times in one song.

Like I said I thought it was part of the Bluetooth issue but it just happened just listening on the built in speakers.

Any ideas other than doing that annoying System Restore? Haha.
    02-14-2016 11:29 PM
    I experience this issue, but only in my office building. According to my battery history details the cell reception at my office is terrible. I attribute the pausing to slow data.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Shimon Mor likes this.
    02-15-2016 03:06 AM
    I experience this issue, but only in my office building. According to my battery history details the cell reception at my office is terrible. I attribute the pausing to slow data.

Do you have any music stored locally on the device? If so, trying playing those songs and see if the pausing occurs. I agree with the post above claiming it's a "slow data" issue.
    02-15-2016 04:09 PM
    Unfortunately no, the issue also happens with music that is locally stored and/or podcasts I've saved for offline listening.
    02-16-2016 02:05 PM
    Unfortunately no, the issue also happens with music that is locally stored and/or podcasts I've saved for offline listening.
    In that case it's probably some app causing audio to pause. This will require some troubleshooting unless someone else has experienced this and found the offending app. Download "System Monitor" or "OS Monitor" or a similar app that shows what processes are running. Wait for the problem to occur and then run the app and turn music back on and wait for it to happen again while monitoring what process is activated when the pausing occurs and the disable any apps that may be suspect and see if the problem persists.
    02-16-2016 07:17 PM
    Does it pause and resume?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    02-19-2016 02:29 AM
    Does it pause and resume?

Yes, it pauses and all I normally have to do is his play and it will resume. That's if the bluetooth doesn't disconnect altogether, which is a separate, worse, more annoying issue that's come up since Marshmallow.

But yea, it stops as in pausing, and i just have to hit play.
    02-20-2016 08:46 PM
    I have the same problem. I was going to factory reset soon hoping that would fix it.

02-21-2016 03:59 AM
    My guess is that there's an app interrupting the playback.

02-21-2016 02:21 PM
    ahhhhhhh i hate doing this but i'm starting my system restore right now... wish me luck...
    02-21-2016 06:17 PM
    Any luck?

02-22-2016 01:31 AM
    I need to test more, I've only gotten to try for like a half hour, but so far so good... And generally phone performance is back to 100% like it was before the update. So I think it might be good...
    02-22-2016 12:39 PM
    I have had the same issue appear a couple of times since the update but usually relaunching whatever music app I was using at the time tends to make the problem go away. So far I have only had issues with Google Play All Access but that's the only app I use for music, I was honestly thinking it had something to do with one of the updates to GPA.
    02-23-2016 08:49 PM
    I haven't seen the problem with music (probably because I have no downloaded music on my Moto X Pure), but I'm seeing it daily over bluetooth with Podcasts. It has been driving me nuts! And it is only since upgrading to Marshmallow.
    02-24-2016 02:13 PM
    So here's the weird thing guys. Since wiping 5 days ago, the issue has happened literally ONE time. Which is much, much better than 20 times per drive haha. But I can't say it's 100% fixed. And it never happened pre-Marshmallow. Regardless, I'm glad I did the system Restore. It's made things much better, and all my stuff is reinstalled
    02-25-2016 11:00 PM
    So here's the weird thing guys. Since wiping 5 days ago, the issue has happened literally ONE time. Which is much, much better than 20 times per drive haha. But I can't say it's 100% fixed. And it never happened pre-Marshmallow. Regardless, I'm glad I did the system Restore. It's made things much better, and all my stuff is reinstalled
    05-05-2016 12:29 PM
    Glad to know I'm not the only one this is happening to! But here's the thing, I'm still running kitkat! I have a rooted Note4 & this has been going on since maybe the end of March or beginning of April & it's driving me nuts! So any other thoughts on what may be causing this other than marshmallow? I've tried turning off all background apps with greenify. Or the app cleaner broom thing when I open my apps. It doesn't matter what I'm streaming with - pandora, Iheartradio, local music on my phone.....bluetooth or plugged in. Sometimes it does it after a half hour, sometimes after a minute! There's no rhyme nor reason!
    05-05-2016 12:36 PM
    So annoying. Ugh... I'm basically just living with it now.
    05-06-2016 12:30 PM
    I use Rocket Player on mine for local music, and stream Pandora, and never have any issues with BT or the phone pausing....
    05-07-2016 07:06 AM
    I use Bluetooth in my cars. I have an hour commute both ways. I constantly stream audio from Google Play Music or Pocket Casts.

I do not experience the behavior you describe.

05-07-2016 12:46 PM
    So annoying. Ugh... I'm basically just living with it now.
    Have you tried enabling audio troubleshooting under Voice in the Moto app?

Shimon Mor likes this.
    05-07-2016 03:30 PM
    Where in the world did that option come from? Haha. I've been through every menu and never saw it. Gonna see if it helps.
    05-07-2016 03:52 PM
    Where in the world did that option come from? Haha. I've been through every menu and never saw it. Gonna see if it helps.
    Hopefully it will help. I only wish I had remembered it sooner.
    05-07-2016 05:52 PM
    I haven't gotten a chance to see if it helps with Spotify/Google play music, but it's definitely not helping with Howl, the podcast app :-( ... I'm gonna write their support though because it's a buggy app to begin with. And I'll try to get a chance to test with music music soon.
    05-10-2016 09:23 AM
    Well I got good news and bad news.

The good news is my bluetooth issues and music pausing issues seem to be done for good!

The bad news is it's not the Moto X Pure that's fixed, because I used my T-Mobile Jump plan to jump from my old Note 4 that was just sitting there gathering dust to a new Galaxy S7 Edge, and it has had zero problems so far.

Now granted the whole reason I jumped ship after a Galaxy S3, Note 3, and Note 4 over the course of 5 years is because I attributed all my Android related problems to Samsung and I wanted a stock Android experience thinking it would make things better. And certainly for the first 4 or 5 months it did. But especially since the Marshmallow update (and after doing a full System Restore to make sure it wasn't just some rogue app), I can say that while I defended the Moto X Pure against the Note 4 and even the Note 5 (which my girlfriend has and doesn't run as smoothly as my Moto X Pure did pre-Marshmallow)... Samsung really seems to have turned things around with the S7 Edge... Granted it's only been 2 weeks, so I gotta give things time to get bogged down haha... But at least as far as my Bluetooth / Music issues were concerned... Absolutely no problems on the S7 Edge.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't consider going back to Motorola in the future. I really loved my Moto X Pure (I still have it... haven't decided what I'm gonna do with it... but I'm not really someone who jumps back and forth between phones). But definitely the Bluetooth Audio issues that me and a bunch of other people were having are due to the device.
    05-17-2016 02:25 PM
41 12