02-29-2016 09:07 AM
63 123
tools
    No. This update is like 6MB and is just the security patch
    Thanks, but like all things Android, right below you are issues. Haha. And I AM an Android guy. But every update for every phone I've ever had has had issues. Ugh... Does look like people are saying clearing the cache fixed it, but whhhhyyyyyy should we have to do that? Ugh... Still nervous.
    02-26-2016 10:42 AM
    Thanks, but like all things Android, right below you are issues. Haha. And I AM an Android guy. But every update for every phone I've ever had has had issues. Ugh... Does look like people are saying clearing the cache fixed it, but whhhhyyyyyy should we have to do that? Ugh... Still nervous.
    I didn't and it's running fine just the same as the previous build
    02-26-2016 11:16 AM
    So ... I just installed the update OTA on Tmobile and none of the apps I had installed to my external SD card (formatted as internal storage) are recognized as being installed. 40+ apps including apps that replaced default apps (like Textra). Needless to say, highly annoying. Could this have happened because of something I did? Is this a common occurrence? I have only owned the device for about a month. I got the notification and said yes to it. It installed and rebooted. That's it.

I came from a Windows Phone/Lumia and I can't believe I am saying this, but they had some nice features that just aren't there (that I can find) on Android/Moto X Pure. That and this issue is "almost" giving me buyer's remorse. Almost ...

So, other than reinstall one by one .... anyone have any advice on what I can do to recover my apps and associations? -sigh-

Fritz

**UPDATE**

I let the phone sit for a bit (since I was not looking forward to reinstalling) and it seems as though the apps are coming back on their own. Textra which initially reported as not being installed now works but my icons are still missing. I assume they have been installing in the background so in the end, it should be a minor annoyance and not the big headache I thought it would be. Still very unpolished for a process (updates) that every device on earth has been going through for decades. You'd think it could be done right on a product based on a "Pure" android experience.
    02-26-2016 11:18 AM
    I am 40 minutes into the security update and it still won't reboot. Phone keeps going though 3 of 81 updates and then restarting again. Last update it did this for two days before working again. I almost trashed the phone.

Anyone else having similar issues? I have Airwatch installed for work profile and security. Not sure if that matters
    My phone is encrypted and I use Airwatch for work. I did not have the issue you describe.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-2016 11:48 AM
    Got the update for both my MXPE's and install went smoothly.
    02-26-2016 12:33 PM
    Any loss of features like hotspot on unlimited data? (Verizon)
    Just checked still able to hotspot with Verizon unlimited data.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-26-2016 03:19 PM
    I installed my update yesterday around 6:30pm, Chicago time. Went smoothly, and this may be a coincidence but my Smart Lock is working flawlessly now!

I have my Motorola KeyLink and my Martian watch tied to my Smart Lock, and it hasn't missed a beat since this update. It used to require manual PIN input a couple times a day. This might be premature, too, but I wonder if they included a Smart Lock fix.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-2016 05:22 PM
    This update fixed an issue I had with the Fox News app. The news thread always, since I got the phone, said I had no internet... though it would play the live video feed over my connection. Now it works fine...
    I had the same experience with what appeared to be missing apps, but the reappeared on their own after a while.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-26-2016 05:53 PM
    I hesitated because I worried the update might cause more problems than it fixed, but I updated and it, literally took five minutes. No problems with apps, no hanging...nothing.
    02-26-2016 06:13 PM
    FYI, if you're rooted: don't take the update. Doesn't matter if you are system-less root or system root. The update is looking for stock recovery and you will end up in a boot loop. You can visit XDA for more info (and read the cries for help from those unfortunate, rooted souls who took the update without making a Nandroid first...sheesh). I just froze "Motorola Update Services" in Titanium BU to banish the notification until this update is rolled into a new ROM.
    02-27-2016 10:40 AM
    FYI, if you're rooted: don't take the update. Doesn't matter if you are system-less root or system root. The update is looking for stock recovery and you will end up in a boot loop. You can visit XDA for more info (and read the cries for help from those unfortunate, rooted souls who took the update without making a Nandroid first...sheesh). I just froze "Motorola Update Services" in Titanium BU to banish the notification until this update is rolled into a new ROM.
    That goes for any update when rooted, with custom recovery and xposed, etc. Always have a nandroid and always know how to undo what you modify
    02-27-2016 03:49 PM
    I'm not rooted but what I have done is deleted or disabled almost every service except Play Store on the phone. I don't need what I deleted nor do I want it. Since a lot of updates seem to hit everything, what will NOT having all extraneous junk abled? I didn't start a Motorola account, I've disabled those services, too, and I don't want to talk to either Motorola or Google. I'm now having a battle of wills with it -

I use the phone as a reference tool. Field guides, geology tours, astronomy and weather programs.
    Social doesn't interest me.
    02-27-2016 06:39 PM
    I did go read XDA - good explanation but ----
    Since I've disabled most of what I don't want, use or need - (No TWRP, or unlocked boot although the phone itself is unlocked)

1. Will it do the update anyway?

2. Will it try to update and abort since some things are disabled.

3. Will it enable the disabled apps to update?

4. Will it bugger the phone?

I've had this same question with Windows since 98SE. I ran a shell that "hid" IE (very thoroughly)
    didn't use Office or many of the other so-called extras. No one ever answered as to what an update would do a computer running a shell.

What I need and want is a digital backpack for reference books. The fact that it can make calls, text, and look up data on the internet is a plus. 90% of these apps are pay for. One PDF was over $20.00, which I paid.

I got Camera Fv5 and the camera on this phone is impressive!
    02-29-2016 09:07 AM
63 123