Security Update: February 2016 Rolling Out for Moto X Pure Edition

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
A little nervous about letting this install without doing a System Restore... I know Lollipop to Marshmallow is a much bigger deal than a simple security update, but the Marshmallow update introduced a variety of issues which have since been fixed by doing a System Restore, but I really don't want to have to do it again... Should I be worried?

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
A little nervous about letting this install without doing a System Restore... I know Lollipop to Marshmallow is a much bigger deal than a simple security update, but the Marshmallow update introduced a variety of issues which have since been fixed by doing a System Restore, but I really don't want to have to do it again... Should I be worried?
No. This update is like 6MB and is just the security patch

gregmoran

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Just installed on AT&T... Has anyone else had problems with this new security update interacting with other system processes? I cant use my phone anymore because i get continuous popup error messages alerting me that "Nfc service" and "com.android.phone" have stopped!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just installed on AT&T... Has anyone else had problems with this new security update interacting with other system processes? I cant use my phone anymore because i get continuous popup error messages alerting me that "Nfc service" and "com.android.phone" have stopped!

Have you tried wiping cache in recovery? That doesn't erase data by the way

From Moto ,showing the steps below in the quote

How do I clear Cache Partition on my device?

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
Press the Volume Down button to highlight "Recovery mode"
Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.
Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it.
"Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

Note: Clearing the cache may take up to 5-10 minutes depending on user memory.

gcua44

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I am 40 minutes into the security update and it still won't reboot. Phone keeps going though 3 of 81 updates and then restarting again. Last update it did this for two days before working again. I almost trashed the phone.

Anyone else having similar issues? I have Airwatch installed for work profile and security. Not sure if that matters

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
No. This update is like 6MB and is just the security patch

Thanks, but like all things Android, right below you are issues. Haha. And I AM an Android guy. But every update for every phone I've ever had has had issues. Ugh... Does look like people are saying clearing the cache fixed it, but whhhhyyyyyy should we have to do that? Ugh... Still nervous.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but like all things Android, right below you are issues. Haha. And I AM an Android guy. But every update for every phone I've ever had has had issues. Ugh... Does look like people are saying clearing the cache fixed it, but whhhhyyyyyy should we have to do that? Ugh... Still nervous.
I didn't and it's running fine just the same as the previous build

xxFritzxx

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
So ... I just installed the update OTA on Tmobile and none of the apps I had installed to my external SD card (formatted as internal storage) are recognized as being installed. 40+ apps including apps that replaced default apps (like Textra). Needless to say, highly annoying. Could this have happened because of something I did? Is this a common occurrence? I have only owned the device for about a month. I got the notification and said yes to it. It installed and rebooted. That's it.

I came from a Windows Phone/Lumia and I can't believe I am saying this, but they had some nice features that just aren't there (that I can find) on Android/Moto X Pure. That and this issue is "almost" giving me buyer's remorse. Almost ...

So, other than reinstall one by one .... anyone have any advice on what I can do to recover my apps and associations? -sigh-

Fritz

**UPDATE**

I let the phone sit for a bit (since I was not looking forward to reinstalling) and it seems as though the apps are coming back on their own. Textra which initially reported as not being installed now works but my icons are still missing. I assume they have been installing in the background so in the end, it should be a minor annoyance and not the big headache I thought it would be. Still very unpolished for a process (updates) that every device on earth has been going through for decades. You'd think it could be done right on a product based on a "Pure" android experience.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am 40 minutes into the security update and it still won't reboot. Phone keeps going though 3 of 81 updates and then restarting again. Last update it did this for two days before working again. I almost trashed the phone.

Anyone else having similar issues? I have Airwatch installed for work profile and security. Not sure if that matters

My phone is encrypted and I use Airwatch for work. I did not have the issue you describe.

312MotoGus

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I installed my update yesterday around 6:30pm, Chicago time. Went smoothly, and this may be a coincidence but my Smart Lock is working flawlessly now!

I have my Motorola KeyLink and my Martian watch tied to my Smart Lock, and it hasn't missed a beat since this update. It used to require manual PIN input a couple times a day. This might be premature, too, but I wonder if they included a Smart Lock fix.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
This update fixed an issue I had with the Fox News app. The news thread always, since I got the phone, said I had no internet... though it would play the live video feed over my connection. Now it works fine...
I had the same experience with what appeared to be missing apps, but the reappeared on their own after a while.

Posted via the Android Central App

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I hesitated because I worried the update might cause more problems than it fixed, but I updated and it, literally took five minutes. No problems with apps, no hanging...nothing.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
FYI, if you're rooted: don't take the update. Doesn't matter if you are system-less root or system root. The update is looking for stock recovery and you will end up in a boot loop. You can visit XDA for more info (and read the cries for help from those unfortunate, rooted souls who took the update without making a Nandroid first...sheesh). I just froze "Motorola Update Services" in Titanium BU to banish the notification until this update is rolled into a new ROM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital