Charge/Sync Dock for Moto X Pure Edition

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to share the dock I ended up purchasing for my MXPE.
It's heavy enough to stand up to pushing on the screen at the top without budging. The adjustable height for the micro USB allows for different types of cases or no case. I have the casemate bumper case and it works great. This dock is designed and marketed for tablets and since this phone is huge, it's perfect.
Check it out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5010642

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Charge/Sync Dock

If only it was quick-charge capable...

Looks like you can just plug it into a Quick Charge brick.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I will try it out and see if "turbopower connected" appears on screen.

Last edited:

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I think it's like all the other docks I've bought. They're just a stand that the power passes through. If the power is supplied by the Turbo Charger, that's what comes out the other end. I mean, Belkin is a brand name and you're paying for that, but I bought a generic that fits perfectly for 9 bucks and the Turbo Charger works with that too.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

I also bought a generic one for $11.
It wanted to fall over every time I touched the phone. I returned it after 2 hours of use.
For $18 I'm really happy with the Belkin.

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Does the phone require 2 hands to unplug and how much attention is required aiming for the plug? Just wondering because you said it was heavy. I really like this idea. It seems almost as convenient as wireless charging.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I can remove the phone with one hand; thumb and index finger pinching the phone and middle finger on the back support of the dock, holding the dock down.
Finding the port to plug connection is easy enough. The micro USB pivots from front to back making it easy to plug in then push back.
I have found however that once you dock the device you need to fine tune the height of the micro USB, using the dial on the back. Mine doesn't seem to maintain the same height from docking to docking.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
It's not perfect, but do I really like this dock.

Pros:
  • Like n8 said, it does work as a turbo charger if you plug it into a quick charge wall plug.
  • You can put your phone in and take it out pretty easily with one hand.
  • I really like the weight. I can interact with my phone without it shifting around. The plug fits very snugly into my phone, so if the dock will come with it I try to pick up the phone without bracing the dock. But it's still easy to pull the phone out one-handed by pushing down on the dock with one finger.
  • You can still use it (case dependent maybe?) with the phone not plugged in - when I'm at 100%, I'll unplug the phone and set it behind the plug. I can still interact with the phone like this. It's not quite as stable as when plugged in, but still good enough for the light use it's likely to get while docked.
  • It's not a custom dock - It should accommodate nearly any case you may use, and really any phone/device you may want to use too.
Cons:
  • It's not a custom dock - I had one for my GS3 that was made specifically for the GS3 and it fit perfectly. I could plug my phone in without even looking. While it's easy to plug the phone in with this dock, it does take just a little more attention/care.
  • I would prefer it to be slightly less upright. The phone sits about 20deg from vertical, personally, I think it'd be better at 25-30deg.
  • Durability? - Since the plug is a moving part, there's more concern that it could fail vs. a fixed plug, another cost of universality. That said, it's not flimsy or anything. The whole thing seems pretty solid and sturdy, so despite the moving parts, I do expect this will hold up well.
The Cons are really minor and mostly just concessions that come from being universal. It'll get 5 stars from me on Amazon.

Oh, unlike n8, I haven't noticed any issues with the plug not holding its height.

Last edited:

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Great review, I'm glad it works for you.
Maybe I need to exchange mine and see if a different one will hold height better. Thanks for posting

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
[*]I would prefer it to be slightly less upright. The phone sits about 20deg from vertical, personally, I think it'd be better at 25-30deg.

Would the risk of tipping backward be acceptable after taping a shim of suitable thickness under the front base of the dock?

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the back part is long and heavy enough, you'd have to go up quite a bit to risk tipping. That said tho, it has a rubbery bottom that gives it a decent grip. Tipping it more than a small amount would reduce the contact area and you'd lose some of that grip. Of course, using a grippy material for the shim would offset that loss.