Best Backup method for the Moto X Pure Edition?

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
So I want to fully backup my phone (apps, files, all settings, texts, etc.) so I can do a full reset to see if it helps with an issue I am having. In the past when switching phones I've have less than stellar luck with apps like Helium on the restore. Does anyone know of a backup app that will fully save and then restore so I don't have to rebuild a bunch of settings and lose texts, etc?

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
OK Im ignorant what is rooting and is it desirable?

If you want to be the master of your phone, yes. It lets you do more thing at a base system level. Lets you control the system in a way you normally can't. For example, my Nova launcher toolbar has options like turn bluetooth and location on and off. Without root when I hit the location button it launches the menu where I then have to turn location on and off. Basically it makes getting to the location menu a shortcut. Whereas, if I had my phone rooted, it should just turn location on and off from the nova button.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
OK Im ignorant what is rooting and is it desirable?

Rooting basically gives you administrator rights over you phone. You can do whatever you like...including messing things up beyond repair. With great power comes great responsibility. But it lets you modify and tweak your phone to whatever you like. But it will void your warranty on most phones (including the MXPE...kind of).

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
So I want to fully backup my phone (apps, files, all settings, texts, etc.) so I can do a full reset to see if it helps with an issue I am having. In the past when switching phones I've have less than stellar luck with apps like Helium on the restore. Does anyone know of a backup app that will fully save and then restore so I don't have to rebuild a bunch of settings and lose texts, etc?

Copy files to a PC that you want to keep in a folder. Music and pics. Any sounds you may have installed. Ringtones, notifications etc. Everything else should be cloud based, email and such and will return when you log back in to those accounts. SMS backup in the play store before you do anything for the texts.

Macville

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Copy files to a PC that you want to keep in a folder. Music and pics. Any sounds you may have installed. Ringtones, notifications etc. Everything else should be cloud based, email and such and will return when you log back in to those accounts. SMS backup in the play store before you do anything for the texts.

That's what I've done before. Not crazy about it because it's not a very elegant solution and I lose settings for a whole bunch of stuff.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have used MyBackup Pro for several years on different phones. It costs a few bucks. I've had to restore to prior phones, but not yet to the Moto X. It will backup and restore text messages, contacts, and apps (the restore process on apps is a bit tedious, you have to confirm many of them one at a time). It backs up music and photos as well, but I usually store those on an external micro SD card and only backup the phone's internal memory using MBP. All my music is on my computer anyway, and I'll backup photos separately.

MBP does not backup and restore your log-in information for email, dropbox, and other accounts. It also does not restore home screen layouts - I am now using Nova Launcher, which I like a lot, and I think it backs up and can restore your home screen layouts of apps & widgets.

If there's a more comprehensive backup option (that does not require rooting), I'd like to hear about it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you restore after a reset, isn't there a chance you'd restore bad data, causing you go have the same issues you had before a reset?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wish there was something for Android phones, like a Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image or something like there is available for PCs where you can copy a complete image over to a computer, then restore it to another phone, although I guess it would have to be an identical brand/model.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Rooting basically gives you administrator rights over you phone. You can do whatever you like...including messing things up beyond repair. With great power comes great responsibility. But it lets you modify and tweak your phone to whatever you like. But it will void your warranty on most phones (including the MXPE...kind of).

If you root, do you lose the Moto ota updates?

ccyaltr

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, if the issue is in one of the apps/programs you restore. It is usually in a 3rd party software though and those you can choose to not add to the phone or do a clean install that hopefully doesn't have that bug in it. Also, a reset gets rid of other background stuff that gets put on there/rearranged/etc. that might also cause a problem down the road..

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Opening an old thread...
6.0 is supposed to have the best Google backup to date, in that it will backup all your app settings (with a 25mb limit, and interaction with the app developer).

As I look on Google Drive, it has *most* of my apps listed, but certainly not all.

My question :
Have any of you done a FdR on your MXPE, and then allowed Google to restore it?

How would you rate the results?

I'm really looking forward to an android cloud backup that works as well as the Apple infrastructure.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca