Motorola Modality Services, how can I stop the battery draining so quickly?

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Motorola Modality Services

This thing whatever it is is killing my battery. What is it? I thought it was the body detection security thing, but I disabled it.
I can't disable the app or force stop it. It's the top battery killer (18%). Any ideas? Also, it the battery usage list the GPS shows
(green bar) but it's clearly off in the app drawer.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Motorola Modality Services

The Modality services are used to detect the phone's orientation and if it's flat on a table or moving (in your pocket, car, etc). Apps like Moto Display or Assist (in Lollipop) use it. You could try a couple of things. Disable Moto Display and any driving mode, restart your phone and see if it makes a difference. Also I would wipe the cache partition from recovery.

Last edited:

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site

Well I have all of those "assist" nonsense features shut off even the screen wave wake up feature so there should be zero battery drain there. Actually, this all started when I shut down those features. Might have to do a wipe and reset but this can't be good on a 3 week phone. I'll see what this battery cycle analysis says before the next charge.

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site

So far today the Modality hasn't shown up in the battery detail usage. I've not done anything except the customary overnight charge. Glad it's gone but I hate how things fix themselves without knowing the cause.

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site

I actually ended up moving on with my life by doing a factory reset. The Display option under Moto Actions was unresponsive. It just just flashed. The ir sensors didn't work. Could have been user error after messing with various settings. I don't know. Rather than spend additional hours Googling this and Googling that and registering on obscure websites, I just did a wipe reset which of course fixed everything. It's really amazing how seamless a reset works. My phone looks exactly the same, right down to my home screen pic.

antonics

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Terrible battery drain here too since activating yesterday from Verizon. Upgraded right away to Marshmallow after power up. Battery would show let's say 97 % battery life with 4 hours left. The screen seems to take up most power even in darkest setting. What could be wrong? Any help?

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Terrible battery drain here too since activating yesterday from Verizon. Upgraded right away to Marshmallow after power up. Battery would show let's say 97 % battery life with 4 hours left. The screen seems to take up most power even in darkest setting. What could be wrong? Any help?

A new phone, especially after an OS Update, will take several days for background stuff to complete and battery life will settle down. Give it a week and let us know how much screen on time, time off charger and cell service quality for a review.

A suggestion: GSam Battery Monitor app provides lots of info and the latest version even provides some info on Doze performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty