My Moto X is showing signs of slowing down

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Every Android phone I've had since the G1 (then G2, MyTouch Slide 4G, HTC One X, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 4) has started to get slow and horrible to use after a few months.

I got the Moto X Pure at launch and it was perfect. The smoothest phone ever, despite being specced not even as good as my previous phone, the Note 4. Even smoother than my girlfriend's shiny new Note 5. And a few months later... It was still fast and smooth and perfect!

Then Marshmallow came and introduced Bluetooth issues... I put it off and put if off but eventually begrudgingly did a pain in the **** system restore about a month ago. It didn't really help my Bluetooth issues (sure for a couple days but it didn't last). So I figure I'll survive with the Bluetooth issues... BUT now, like I said, about a month since the system restore, it's finally happening...

Slow down. Lag. Poor performance returning to the home screen from apps. Slow to open the camera. Slow to get to the gallery. Slow to bring up the keyboard.

Not rooted/ROM'd. No custom launcher. Barely any widgets (Chronus, Any.do and the persistent Google Search bar). Not even using half of my 64gb storage. No SD Card installed. Using almost entirely just stock Google apps (no custom keyboard, no custom SMS, no custom browsers, etc etc). Cleared my caches, but the problem returns within hours or if I'm lucky, a day or two. Mostly it gets bad when the phone starts heating up. And it gets really hot when it heats up. At first I used to think everyone was overexaggerating their overheating issues because I did feel it heat up from time to time... But not like this. Now it gets HOT. And then it gets SLOW.

So. Any suggestions? I don't want to have to wipe again because I know that that means I'll be wiping the phone every 2 months like I had to with all my previous phones.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: It's finally happening... Slowdown...

Ugh... I just don't trust it. I should have added a paragraph about how I used to flash custom ROMs on all my previous phones too, but they all got slow after a couple months and required wiping and flashing another custom ROM... Which to me means that it's not the custom ROM that makes the phone run good... It's the wiping and starting all over that does.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Not noticing any slow downs on my Moto X. Only change I've made was adding an SD card (Samsung Pro+) for photos, not adoptable storage. Wiped cache probably back in December after the Marshmallow update. Have never done a factory reset.

The only think I could think of that I do that other people don't is clear out text messages periodically.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Not noticing any slow downs on my Moto X. Only change I've made was adding an SD card (Samsung Pro+) for photos, not adoptable storage. Wiped cache probably back in December after the Marshmallow update. Have never done a factory reset.

The only think I could think of that I do that other people don't is clear out text messages periodically.

Hey thanks, clearing out text messages is something I forgot about and maybe worth trying. I don't really see how it will help such overall performance issues I'm having but hey, worth a shot :) I just said screw it and didn't even try to save pics. Deleted all threads... We'll see how it goes.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I know you said you "cleared caches" but, just to make sure, did you clear internal cache? Settings > Storage and USB > Internal Storage > Cached Data

Posted via the Android Central App

emcmorrow

Feb 20, 2018
Visit site
I know you said you "cleared caches" but, just to make sure, did you clear internal cache? Settings > Storage and USB > Internal Storage > Cached Data

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks, tried this on my Pure X and seemed to work. Had 2GB cached and immediately the camera, text and switching apps was much faster.