Anyone seen an update since Feb 2016?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Somebody in the Czech Republic just received the May 2016 update, but, other than that, you're not alone in wondering: 6.0.1/Monthly Security Updates

Hahaha! I just noticed a moderator over there marked that thread as "Solved." His "solution"? "Doesn't seem to be necessary because the phone doesn't seem to have any bugs."

Wow
shake.gif

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I asked Moto about the Feb update, and the person that replied did state he wasn't an employee of Motorola but his understanding was updates around every 4 months. This is the 4th month so maybe someone needs to ask Moto again.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
No update either. Lenovo squashed timely updates when they took over. I expected better from Motorola based on their history. Not Nexus type updates, but certainly an upgrade to 6.01 by now (actually should have happened 3 months ago). Guess I'm going back to Nexus phones.

It's 2016, and I now expect phones to be upgraded when major software is released. Especially the phones that are built with a "vanilla" Android OS. I'll buy a Samsung if I want to be stuck forever on the original software version when purchased. I'm probably in the minority, given the masses that support Sammy. I'll just have to spend my money on companies that will offer ongoing support. Upgrades are important to me, as they add desirable functionality and features.

Think Apple......and it really pains me to say that.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
No update either. Lenovo squashed timely updates when they took over.
From all accounts: They did worse than that :(

I expected better from Motorola based on their history.
I'm really disappointed that it's happening, but I'm not surprised in the least. This is exactly what I expected from Lenovo.

Guess I'm going back to Nexus phones.
Nexus devices have never overly impressed me.

Think Apple......and it really pains me to say that.
Yeah, that's sad, but I've been having the same thoughts, lately. I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to doing that, but the fact I'm even considering it...

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow new features | BGR

The differences between 6.0 and 6.01 aren't that great. My phone CAME with 6.0 and the phones that are getting updated by carriers now are 6.01.

Judging from what Windows is doing, I'm not sure I want to even bother unless I can get a full rundown of all pros and cons. The mess with the SD card is a case in point. It has, is and will probably be confusing a lot of people and some software, too.

Since I've seen rumors of N this fall, I'd just watch the headlines and rumormongers until someone posts what really is available. It will be in the headlines.

Those of you with carrier phones will have to wait until some type of policy is set. Some phones are only getting 6.01 from 5.1.1 now.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow new features | BGR

The differences between 6.0 and 6.01 aren't that great.

I'm more concerned with the bug fixes in 6.0.1. I believe there was an MMS issue in 6.0 that was fixed in 6.01. Hasn't been an issue with me, but my wife has it on her Moto G 2015.

There are always bugs in the first release of a major version. Usually the next minor release fixes most of them. Now maybe Sammy, and the other OE's that don't do timely upgrades, do a better job of testing before they release an upgrade. Then they don't have to worry about the .01 bug fix releases. That would explain some of the delay. Moto basically released unadulterated MM, and it took a while for them to do that. I do think they are done with any software upgrades on the XPE, so we'll have to live with what we have.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm more concerned with the bug fixes in 6.0.1. I believe there was an MMS issue in 6.0 that was fixed in 6.01. Hasn't been an issue with me, but my wife has it on her Moto G 2015.
I think my wife's 2015 Moto G is pestering her about an update. She's wondering if she should apply it. Maybe not?

Anyway, with regards to the MXPE: 6.0 is seriously broken: Choppy call audio after MM upgrade w/VoLTE . Word so far is Lenovo/Motorola/Whatever have no plan s to address it until (?) Android N.

I do think they are done with any software upgrades on the XPE, so we'll have to live with what we have.
Which is why I've held-off buying one.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Uh, no problems here with my MXPE running 6.0. None. (but then I'm not on T-Mobile thank god)
Yeah, it doesn't affect all networks. Have a colleague, here at work, has an MXPE on TMO. Happens to him. But, regardless of whether you, personally, are affected, or not: It's still brokenness.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on 6.0 with at&t. I'm not having any problems but figure if I want timely updates, I need to go with a Nexus as my next phone.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I think my wife's 2015 Moto G is pestering her about an update. She's wondering if she should apply it. Maybe not?

If she's on Lollipop and happy with it, then I wouldn't update. MM didn't really add a lot IMO. Especially if it will introduce MMS issues.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If she's on Lollipop and happy with it, then I wouldn't update. MM didn't really add a lot IMO. Especially if it will introduce MMS issues.
She is and she is, so that's what we'll do.

The 3rd Gen. Moto G is especially disappointing. I'd have one of those, now, myself, if Lenovo/Motorola/Whatever hadn't dropped the ball on Band 12, on that one, entirely.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering if Lenovo will even update the Moto XPE to Nougat?
It is believed they will. It it believed they'll probably even update the "G3" to Nougat. The key words being, of course, "believed" and "probably." Then there's the question of whether the update will be broken (as is the MM updates to the XPE and G3) or not.