Anybody else sticking with the MXPE?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was considering moving to the Moto Z, but no 3.5 and smaller display. Also like the front speakers on the MXPE. Guess since the MXPE is paid for and still working well, I will stay with it until next year (provided the battery holds up). Not a fan of fixed batteries, but options are about shot for premium devices. Companies found a way to help force retirement curves on phones- force people due to worn out batteries that are not practical to replace ;)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking as long as my MXPE continues to work properly. Having some camera issues but am ok dealing with them ATM. Batteries last two years usually and that is about the outside time span I keep a device anyway. So non removable batteries never bothered me and I've never used one completely up. I don't think the new phones bring that much new stuff to the table these days. The Z being an exception as they are trying to be innovative to stand out. However, The mods don't entice me in the least. I'd much prefer a phone with an adequate battery out of the box not as an add-on. It will be interesting to see how they go over with the consumers.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning on staying with it...it's been a great phone for me. Absolutely no issues.

Plus since the Z won't work on Sprint, that helps sway my decision.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I will own a Moto Z DROID.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got my XPE a few weeks ago and see no reason to upgrade. I'm impressed with the camera and battery life - the two areas I was most worries about.

I will say this baby heats up pretty quick when you don't have great signal.

The Z looks nice and the modular add ons look well executed. I'll probably trade up in a year or so when the price is right.

Posted via my Moto X Pure

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Only thing I miss on my MXPE is a fingerprint scanner. Otherwise I'm happy sticking with it another year. I'll look at Nexus but doubt I'll want to give up the Moto software unless Nougat is so spectacular I won't miss it. My battery life is still good - no complaints.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll keep the XPE until a good deal comes along for one of the new Nexus phones. Not interested in paying the early adopter price when it initially comes out.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Must admit that after reading more about the Force, the appeal of the modules for me (even the projector) and Best Buy having $200 off, plus free JBL module- thinking of maybe perhaps possibly getting it. IF the 64GB version is offered. Both BB and Verizon only have a 32GB version. My MXPE is 64GB and use all but 4GB space. Have a 200GB micro sd as well.

Yep, the MXPE can get hot due to the 801 having some heat issues like the 810 (not as bad though). I do like my speakers though, so still debating. Though no 64GB model would make it moot.

PRS247

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Companies found a way to help force retirement curves on phones- force people due to worn out batteries that are not practical to replace ;)

Agreed, and it's total BS! We also don't seem to have an opportunity to voice this major disappointment, and we need to figure out how to let these companies know, as a mass scale group, that we see what they've done, and we don't appreciate it!

I'm sure if we could make this known on a wide scale, some manufacturers will give us back smartphones with replaceable batteries. It's the only reason I chose Samsung over Apple back in 2012, when we got our first smart phones!

PRS247

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
My MXPE is 64GB and use all but 4GB space. Have a 200GB micro sd as well.

Which micro SD do you have, and how's it worked so far?

I tried a PNY 128GB that died pretty soon after installing it. When I noticed, the 30 day Amazon return period was up. 😖
867c2c804360d16a525c1ff51d6b7aa8.jpg

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Which micro SD do you have, and how's it worked so far?

I tried a PNY 128GB that died pretty soon after installing it. When I noticed, the 30 day Amazon return period was up. ������
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160722/867c2c804360d16a525c1ff51d6b7aa8.jpg

I have three 200GB Sandisks and all work great. One in the MXPE and one each in my Note 4 (use mainly for Gear VR) and a tablet.

As far as the Force, I am staying away mainly due to price. A 64GB with the JBL mod would be $900 counting tax from Moto site and that is apparently the only way to get a 64GB (Moto site). Not seeing $400 more device so will pass.

MXPE 64GB has stereo speakers without adding bulk, bigger display, 3.5mm jack. The $400 delta makes the Force a Heck No proposition to me. If Best Buy offered it, it would be $300 less than Moto site ($200 off and free JBL mod), but they only have the 32GB.

I like the mod concept, but I think they priced the phone too high in relation to the mod system Lenovo is assuming to see high attach rates from. The device should have been at least $100 less IMO to fit the mod ecosystem they are pushing.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been happy with the exception of the heat issues and the lack of updates. The Axon 7 or idol 4s could be in my future. If that happens the pure would likely go to a family member.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, and it's total BS! We also don't seem to have an opportunity to voice this major disappointment, and we need to figure out how to let these companies know, as a mass scale group, that we see what they've done, and we don't appreciate it!

I'm sure if we could make this known on a wide scale, some manufacturers will give us back smartphones with replaceable batteries. It's the only reason I chose Samsung over Apple back in 2012, when we got our first smart phones!

That's why I own an LG G5

Posted via the Android Central App

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my 32GB MXPE in April, upgrading from a 2013 Moto X mainly because I was running out of storage space and was getting ready to take a 6-week trip through Europe on which I expected to take a large number of photos. The MXPE worked flawlessly throughout our trip, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it took excellent photos -- in fact, quite a few fellow travelers admired the device and complimented the quality of the pictures. The turbocharger has been a fabulous benefit -- while traveling, I could put the phone on the charger when I got up in the morning, and by the time I showered and dressed it had a full charge that lasted into the next day. (The only time it ran a bit low before we came back to the hotel at the end of the day was in Venice, when we kept getting lost on back streets and I frequently had to use the downloaded Google city map with GPS to find our way back.) By the time we returned home, I had taken over 2500 new photos, using all but 2.5 gigs of my internal storage, so I installed a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Plus (U3) microSD card as portable storage and moved all my photos, videos, and music over, thereby freeing up 15GB of internal storage again. So I'm loving my MPXE, and I expect to keep it until I encounter problems or see a better option on the market.

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Heck I just bought today. Best buy had the 32gb in black for $249 and it just seemed to good to pass up. Thought I would miss the finger scanner from my 6s plus but I set my pebble as a trusted device so I rarely have to unlock anyway

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Heat issues are the main reason I am giving up on my Moto XPE and seeing how the Axon 7 is. Right now I am running a hotspot for my tablet and using Waze while charging phone with regular Anker charger and my phone is at 139°!! 139° yet Motorola says this is normal. I can barely hold the phone it's so damn hot. No thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1