09-12-2016 07:19 AM
59 123
tools
    I was considering moving to the Moto Z, but no 3.5 and smaller display. Also like the front speakers on the MXPE. Guess since the MXPE is paid for and still working well, I will stay with it until next year (provided the battery holds up). Not a fan of fixed batteries, but options are about shot for premium devices. Companies found a way to help force retirement curves on phones- force people due to worn out batteries that are not practical to replace
    Laura Knotek and PRS247 like this.
    07-19-2016 08:30 AM
    I'm sticking as long as my MXPE continues to work properly. Having some camera issues but am ok dealing with them ATM. Batteries last two years usually and that is about the outside time span I keep a device anyway. So non removable batteries never bothered me and I've never used one completely up. I don't think the new phones bring that much new stuff to the table these days. The Z being an exception as they are trying to be innovative to stand out. However, The mods don't entice me in the least. I'd much prefer a phone with an adequate battery out of the box not as an add-on. It will be interesting to see how they go over with the consumers.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-2016 11:56 AM
    I'm planning on staying with it...it's been a great phone for me. Absolutely no issues.

Plus since the Z won't work on Sprint, that helps sway my decision.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-2016 02:53 PM
    I will own a Moto Z DROID.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Laura Knotek and benjamminh like this.
    07-19-2016 03:04 PM

Plus since the Z won't work on Sprint, that helps sway my decision.
    No Z for me, since I use AT&T, and the new Nexus will be out by the time the Verizon exclusive ends.

I will own a Moto Z DROID.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    I won't, since I don't use Verizon.
    Uncle Louie and Guytronic like this.
    07-19-2016 03:24 PM
    Just got my XPE a few weeks ago and see no reason to upgrade. I'm impressed with the camera and battery life - the two areas I was most worries about.

I will say this baby heats up pretty quick when you don't have great signal.

The Z looks nice and the modular add ons look well executed. I'll probably trade up in a year or so when the price is right.

Posted via my Moto X Pure
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-2016 03:50 PM
    Only thing I miss on my MXPE is a fingerprint scanner. Otherwise I'm happy sticking with it another year. I'll look at Nexus but doubt I'll want to give up the Moto software unless Nougat is so spectacular I won't miss it. My battery life is still good - no complaints.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-2016 08:19 PM
    I'll keep the XPE until a good deal comes along for one of the new Nexus phones. Not interested in paying the early adopter price when it initially comes out.
    Laura Knotek and GPuba like this.
    07-19-2016 10:03 PM
    Must admit that after reading more about the Force, the appeal of the modules for me (even the projector) and Best Buy having $200 off, plus free JBL module- thinking of maybe perhaps possibly getting it. IF the 64GB version is offered. Both BB and Verizon only have a 32GB version. My MXPE is 64GB and use all but 4GB space. Have a 200GB micro sd as well.

Yep, the MXPE can get hot due to the 801 having some heat issues like the 810 (not as bad though). I do like my speakers though, so still debating. Though no 64GB model would make it moot.
    07-21-2016 03:43 PM
    Companies found a way to help force retirement curves on phones- force people due to worn out batteries that are not practical to replace
    Agreed, and it's total BS! We also don't seem to have an opportunity to voice this major disappointment, and we need to figure out how to let these companies know, as a mass scale group, that we see what they've done, and we don't appreciate it!

I'm sure if we could make this known on a wide scale, some manufacturers will give us back smartphones with replaceable batteries. It's the only reason I chose Samsung over Apple back in 2012, when we got our first smart phones!
    07-22-2016 05:09 AM
    My MXPE is 64GB and use all but 4GB space. Have a 200GB micro sd as well.
    Which micro SD do you have, and how's it worked so far?

I tried a PNY 128GB that died pretty soon after installing it. When I noticed, the 30 day Amazon return period was up. 😖
    07-22-2016 05:16 AM

I tried a PNY 128GB that died pretty soon after installing it. When I noticed, the 30 day Amazon return period was up. ������
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f51d6b7aa8.jpg
    I have three 200GB Sandisks and all work great. One in the MXPE and one each in my Note 4 (use mainly for Gear VR) and a tablet.

As far as the Force, I am staying away mainly due to price. A 64GB with the JBL mod would be $900 counting tax from Moto site and that is apparently the only way to get a 64GB (Moto site). Not seeing $400 more device so will pass.

MXPE 64GB has stereo speakers without adding bulk, bigger display, 3.5mm jack. The $400 delta makes the Force a Heck No proposition to me. If Best Buy offered it, it would be $300 less than Moto site ($200 off and free JBL mod), but they only have the 32GB.

I like the mod concept, but I think they priced the phone too high in relation to the mod system Lenovo is assuming to see high attach rates from. The device should have been at least $100 less IMO to fit the mod ecosystem they are pushing.
    Norg likes this.
    07-22-2016 07:28 AM
    I have three 200GB Sandisks and all work great. One in the MXPE and one each in my Note 4 (use mainly for Gear VR) and a tablet.
    How much were they? They do seem to be cheaper as time passes...
    07-22-2016 08:01 AM
    I've been happy with the exception of the heat issues and the lack of updates. The Axon 7 or idol 4s could be in my future. If that happens the pure would likely go to a family member.
    07-22-2016 10:16 AM
    Agreed, and it's total BS! We also don't seem to have an opportunity to voice this major disappointment, and we need to figure out how to let these companies know, as a mass scale group, that we see what they've done, and we don't appreciate it!

I'm sure if we could make this known on a wide scale, some manufacturers will give us back smartphones with replaceable batteries. It's the only reason I chose Samsung over Apple back in 2012, when we got our first smart phones!
    That's why I own an LG G5

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-22-2016 12:10 PM

I tried a PNY 128GB that died pretty soon after installing it. When I noticed, the 30 day Amazon return period was up. 😖
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f51d6b7aa8.jpg
    Buy another and return the defective one.

07-22-2016 12:12 PM
    Buy another and return the defective one.

Yeah, was contemplating that. Thanks for the advice.
    07-22-2016 01:02 PM
    I purchased my 32GB MXPE in April, upgrading from a 2013 Moto X mainly because I was running out of storage space and was getting ready to take a 6-week trip through Europe on which I expected to take a large number of photos. The MXPE worked flawlessly throughout our trip, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it took excellent photos -- in fact, quite a few fellow travelers admired the device and complimented the quality of the pictures. The turbocharger has been a fabulous benefit -- while traveling, I could put the phone on the charger when I got up in the morning, and by the time I showered and dressed it had a full charge that lasted into the next day. (The only time it ran a bit low before we came back to the hotel at the end of the day was in Venice, when we kept getting lost on back streets and I frequently had to use the downloaded Google city map with GPS to find our way back.) By the time we returned home, I had taken over 2500 new photos, using all but 2.5 gigs of my internal storage, so I installed a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Plus (U3) microSD card as portable storage and moved all my photos, videos, and music over, thereby freeing up 15GB of internal storage again. So I'm loving my MPXE, and I expect to keep it until I encounter problems or see a better option on the market.
    Laineyc likes this.
    07-22-2016 03:06 PM
    Heck I just bought today. Best buy had the 32gb in black for $249 and it just seemed to good to pass up. Thought I would miss the finger scanner from my 6s plus but I set my pebble as a trusted device so I rarely have to unlock anyway
    skipatrol and That70sGAdawg like this.
    07-22-2016 04:17 PM
    Heat issues are the main reason I am giving up on my Moto XPE and seeing how the Axon 7 is. Right now I am running a hotspot for my tablet and using Waze while charging phone with regular Anker charger and my phone is at 139°!! 139° yet Motorola says this is normal. I can barely hold the phone it's so damn hot. No thanks.

07-22-2016 09:03 PM
    I had been waiting to see what pricing was going to be on the Moto Z. I got the MXPE last year when it came out and had enjoyed it. However, it took a fall about three months ago and was going to be $200 to repair. I've been limping along with my original Moto X with it's own cracked, but functional screen. That has become a rather painful experience.

I'm interested in the Force, mostly for near stock Android with the Moto enhancements that I've come accustomed to since the original Moto X. None of the mods are terribly interesting to me, particularly at the prices being asked. So, I'd be paying an additional premium for the ability to us mods that I don't really need.

With BB running the MPXE for $250 now for a 32GB model, paying even the $523 that Best Buy is offering for the Z Force seems hard to justify....but still tempting with the included JBL speaker. Hmm, I felt better when I was convinced the discount deal was only for the Z and not the Z force. Now I find myself waffling even as I write.
    07-24-2016 07:03 AM
    I'm getting the Axon 7 this weekend.
    07-24-2016 11:11 AM
    Yep. 64gb MXPE. Use it with Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb. Use Incipio feather case and screen protector. Wish my 2013 Developer Edition screen didn't shatter, it was much lighter and easier to carry in the pants pocket. The MXPE rides in the jacket or in the thigh of cargo pants.

Am seriously considering getting a backup MXPE when they go on clearance, and leave it in the box until the old one can't be repaired anymore.

Didn't like the Snapdragon 810 in the 2015 Droid/Force, absolutely hate the modular system on the new Z. Don't want or need a fingerprint scanner, would have bought a Samsung with TouchWiz if all those extras were important to me. I like TouchWiz on home tablets for the family.

Very, very stupid copycatting for Lenovo to make their own Galaxy's. Maybe they'll keep the Moto line the way they kept making IBM Thinkpad.

I'll wait for 600MHz coverage before I downgrade my carry fone any lower than the trade-offs in the MXPE -- because anything other than a 2013 Moto X running Jelly Bean is a downgrade.
    07-24-2016 03:18 PM
    Noticed another issue with mine to go along with the iffy opening camera. Flashlight no longer works or opens. Still maybe considering getting another one on cheap as they are coming down in price more all the time. With more niggles showing up tho not sure another is a good idea. Time will tell for me and the possible deal I could get on a new one.
    07-24-2016 04:25 PM
    Agreed the MXPE seems to run warmer than other devices. 200gb Sandisk cards ab be bought for less than $60 with Amazon sales. The usual price is less than $80.
    07-25-2016 12:04 PM
59 123