01-29-2017 04:20 PM
78 1234
tools
    Now thinking I want the moto z play. Like the finger print reader, better battery and availability of cases and accessories.
    10-06-2016 01:02 PM
    My guess? Sometime next year. 👿
    Probably pretty accurate to be honest... We will hear rumors of a beta soak test, full rollout will be 45-60 days after that barring any significant issues.
    Uncle Louie likes this.
    10-06-2016 04:15 PM
    What are the nougat features? I sure hope they fix the stupid ring and notification volume control issues.
    10-11-2016 06:10 PM
    What are the nougat features? I sure hope they fix the stupid ring and notification volume control issues.
    These wouldn't really fall under "features"... more along the line of bug fixes.

Features are well known and defined, a simple Google search will get you tons of articles describing the features of Android 7.0.

As far as what Moto may or not fix... who knows, it is just to early to tell.
    10-11-2016 10:47 PM
    Lenovo could also skip 7.0 and go to 7.1 directly, especially when the release dates are quite closer..this basically means a delayed release for all devices.
    10-12-2016 07:18 PM
    No one bothers with all the pros and CONS of Nougat. Witness the confusion of the SD card with Marshmallow.

It looks like around December from something I read on another site.

I really need to know before update so I can refuse if I don't agree.
    10-16-2016 10:02 AM
    I thought Motorola said we'd get Nougat in the 4th quarter? Only 11 days left, I'm not holding my breath. This really stinks, it seems like they are deliberately bypassing the Moto X Pure Edition, I'm not happy. Not even a security update since May. I don't want to spend $700.00 or whatever on a Pixel, but apparently that's the only way to get updates. Stinks.
    12-20-2016 07:09 PM
    Or a Moto Z
    12-20-2016 07:17 PM
    I thought Motorola said we'd get Nougat in the 4th quarter? Only 11 days left, I'm not holding my breath. This really stinks, it seems like they are deliberately bypassing the Moto X Pure Edition, I'm not happy.
    Here's a link to Motorola's Official blog post where they list out which phones are planned to receive an update to Nougat: N is for Nougat: Android 7.0 is coming to your favorite Moto phones - The Official Motorola Blog

Here's what they specifically said about Q4:

We’re happy to confirm Android 7.0 Nougat is on its way to a lot of our smartphones, we’ll be starting in Q4 with Moto Z and Moto G (4th Gen).
    The third gen Moto X has multiple versions of the first gen Moto Zs and fourth gen Moto Gs ahead of it.

Not even a security update since May.
    Looks like the September 2016 patch is (slowly) rolling out now: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...-new-post.html

I don't want to spend $700.00 or whatever on a Pixel, but apparently that's the only way to get updates. Stinks.
    You could spend less on a Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X. I'll repeat, if OS updates and monthly security patches are important to you, Pixel and Nexus are your only options.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-20-2016 07:26 PM
    Or a Moto Z
    For now.

A Moto Z Droid or Moto Z Force Droid specifically. Verizon model have received the Nougat updates before unlocked, non-carrier Moto Zs.
    12-20-2016 07:27 PM

You could spend less on a Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X. I'll repeat, if OS updates and monthly security patches are important to you, Pixel and Nexus are your only options.
    HTC has been doing a fantastic job on updates for the past year.
    12-21-2016 11:28 AM
    HTC has been doing a fantastic job on updates for the past year.
    Maybe for the 10.

But they promised "within 15 days of Nexus" for the One A9.

Is the A9 on Nougat?
    12-21-2016 01:06 PM
    12-24-2016 01:42 PM
    For now.

A Moto Z Droid or Moto Z Force Droid specifically. Verizon model have received the Nougat updates before unlocked, non-carrier Moto Zs.
    Verizon putting out any update, let alone an Android version before anyone else? That's some kind of world record!
    12-29-2016 03:49 PM
    Verizon putting out any update, let alone an Android version before anyone else? That's some kind of world record!
    Not really. The first gen Moto X for Verizon was one of the first phones to get KitKat.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-29-2016 03:57 PM
    I clicked on a thread that was titled, "It's December 20. Where's Nougat?", and was taken here.

My response, to that question would be, "Nougat? Where's the September 1st security patch?" It's nearly four months old, for crying out loud!
    12-30-2016 01:15 PM
    I clicked on a thread that was titled, "It's December 20. Where's Nougat?", and was taken here.

My response, to that question would be, "Nougat? Where's the September 1st security patch?" It's nearly four months old, for crying out loud!
    Motorola never committed to an update schedule for security patches.
    12-30-2016 02:12 PM
    Motorola never committed to an update schedule for security patches.
    Well, I read it someplace, before buying this phone and I don't usually put any stake in just any comment or review.
    Don't get me wrong, I still really like this phone and believe it to be the best, for me, currently. I just think four months is too long to wait for a security patch.
    12-30-2016 02:35 PM
    If you double check on a search, there is nothing before June or July 2016. Even if you try for 2015, there is nothing. Someone has wiped all previous posts from the internet. Even Duck Duck Go can't find any.
    I do agree with the poster. I also saw something like that in Feb. 2016 when I bought phone. Could have been on GSMarena. Moto decided against it in June or July and replaced web pages.

I just went back to some old posts on a Moto forum. People were discussing monthly updates to security.
    01-01-2017 09:04 AM
    Well, I read it someplace, before buying this phone and I don't usually put any stake in just any comment or review.
    Don't get me wrong, I still really like this phone and believe it to be the best, for me, currently. I just think four months is too long to wait for a security patch.
    I'm still on the May 1, 2016 update. I've seen posts over the past three or four weeks where other Moto XPE users have gotten an update (November 1, I believe).

My XPE is unlocked on AT&T; not that it much matters. When I bought this phone, the consensus was that this phone would get updated for security patches, improvements, and OS platform updates in Nexus style. I don't think Moto/Lenovo plan on doing anything further with it. It's a disappointment a clean, smooth phone like this isn't getting due attention.
    01-01-2017 12:57 PM
    I'm still on the May 1, 2016 update. I've seen posts over the past three or four weeks where other Moto XPE users have gotten an update (November 1, I believe).

My XPE is unlocked on AT&T; not that it much matters. When I bought this phone, the consensus was that this phone would get updated for security patches, improvements, and OS platform updates in Nexus style. I don't think Moto/Lenovo plan on doing anything further with it. It's a disappointment a clean, smooth phone like this isn't getting due attention.
    That was the assumption. Unless Motorola said it would be that way, the consensus was wrong.
    01-01-2017 01:03 PM
    If you double check on a search, there is nothing before June or July 2016. Even if you try for 2015, there is nothing. Someone has wiped all previous posts from the internet. Even Duck Duck Go can't find any.
    I do agree with the poster. I also saw something like that in Feb. 2016 when I bought phone. Could have been on GSMarena. Moto decided against it in June or July and replaced web pages.

I just went back to some old posts on a Moto forum. People were discussing monthly updates to security.
    LOL... No one "wiped all previous posts from the internet", that really doesn't happen when it is from multiple sources all over the globe, and especially not for information like this.

The reason you can't find references to it, is there never was a promise or guarantee of 2 years of updates... it was always stated by Moto that there would be "quick updates" and Google's Motorola had agreed in principle to the 18-24 months of updates for most devices. Many people and article writers put this two together and that somehow became a promise or guarantee it would occur, and for a while Google's Motorola largely fulfilled that "promise" that didn't really exist.

But does that show that Moto/Lenovo never made a promise? Nope, but articles like this one from over a year ago, almost begging Lenovo's Moto for a concrete update policy of some sort, imply there never was a promise or guarantee.

The end result here is Lenovo has failed to stand behind the products of the company (and philosophy) they purchased... Why? Because Lenovo has a history of not caring about anything but profits and company, regardless of the customer. Unfortunately, many people see Lenovo as still part of IBM so even with all the scandals surrounding them over the years and a general lack of respect for consumers, they thrive largely on the corporate/enterprise market.

TBH, I have no idea why Lenovo bought Moto, unless it was to take the brand name that has a loyal following and respect from users and critics combined, and slap it's name on every product it can churn out and sell, and milk the name dry for the profits it can get over a few years.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-01-2017 01:14 PM
    LOL... No one "wiped all previous posts from the internet", that really doesn't happen when it is from multiple sources all over the globe, and especially not for information like this.

The reason you can't find references to it, is there never was a promise or guarantee of 2 years of updates... it was always stated by Moto that there would be "quick updates" and Google's Motorola had agreed in principle to the 18-24 months of updates for most devices. Many people and article writers put this two together and that somehow became a promise or guarantee it would occur, and for a while Google's Motorola largely fulfilled that "promise" that didn't really exist.

But does that show that Moto/Lenovo never made a promise? Nope, but articles like this one from over a year ago, almost begging Lenovo's Moto for a concrete update policy of some sort, imply there never was a promise or guarantee.

The end result here is Lenovo has failed to stand behind the products of the company (and philosophy) they purchased... Why? Because Lenovo has a history of not caring about anything but profits and company, regardless of the customer. Unfortunately, many people see Lenovo as still part of IBM so even with all the scandals surrounding them over the years and a general lack of respect for consumers, they thrive largely on the corporate/enterprise market.

TBH, I have no idea why Lenovo bought Moto, unless it was to take the brand name that has a loyal following and respect from users and critics combined, and slap it's name on every product it can churn out and sell, and milk the name dry for the profits it can get over a few years.
    All because of incorrect assumptions.

Motorola never committed to monthly security updates. Monthly security patches started in October 2015, after the Moto X Pure Edition release.

The promise of updates was for Android OS versions.

And the Moto X Pure Edition is scheduled to received Nougat.
    01-01-2017 01:48 PM
    All because of incorrect assumptions.

Motorola never committed to monthly security updates. Monthly security patches started in October 2015, after the Moto X Pure Edition release.

The promise of updates was for Android OS versions.

And the Moto X Pure Edition is scheduled to received Nougat.
    It is... But my Moto G 2015 isn't.
    01-01-2017 02:23 PM
    That was the assumption. Unless Motorola said it would be that way, the consensus was wrong.
    They probably were assumptions, but I'm curious to know why so many people assumed that updates would happen expeditiously. I suppose because the phone has very little added software people made the assumption that because Nexus devices updated quickly, this phone would update quickly too. I was among that crowd.

There are so many vulnerabilities that phones are exposed to, one would think that updates would occur more frequently than they have on this device. I own an S7 Edge on Verizon and will likely see 7.1.1 this month. I'm excited to see what the update will bring. It are the security updates that aren't occurring that concern me.
    01-02-2017 10:48 AM
78 1234