01-29-2017 03:20 PM
78 ... 234
tools
    lol... another fluff article... I had this discussion on G+ this morning, seriously a "Moto spokesperson" is their reference. That could be a rep in a chat, email response, off handed comment from customer care on the phone, an employee, or ??? The author makes no claims of legitimacy of their source.

Although, to be honest, the June time frame is quite possible... But like any ROM, stock or custom, best not to ask for ETAs, it will be released when, and if, it is ready.
    01-20-2017 06:00 PM
    Security updates [...] are really just a marketing gimmick to look good in the eyes of the public.
    01-29-2017 12:03 PM
    What are you confused about? All these vulnerabilities that they patch rarely have actual exploits, much less ones that are of any real use... Look at Quadrooter, Dirty Cow, and Stagefright supposedly effected hundreds of millions of phones, billions by some estimates, but how many verifiable exploits occurred outside of controlled conditions? Zero. Why? Because Android has multiple ways to deal with threats, just having a vulnerability that can be exploited isn't enough, it has to get around multiple layers of protection from sandboxing, SElinux, DMverity, and others.

As an example, I am in a group that is trying to exploit Dirty Cow on XDA to root or get other elevated privileges, it's a definite, serious security hole in Android and we have had some success in older devices in a controlled environment, but other security mechanisms kill us on newer devices and a simple reboot invokes SElinux and DMverity and reverts everything on stock devices.

So although these updates do patch known vulnerabilities, they are not really necessary from a technical perspective most of the time but they make people feel good. It makes people look favorably on a company because they care... Except it's BS and just more empty, fluffy feel good crap.

At the same time, I'm not naive and will gladly accept any updates available because I'm stupid but I know of from a realistic point of view they have little real world benefit.
    PapaGary and Jaysus like this.
    01-29-2017 03:20 PM
78 ... 234