Still a good buy?

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Is this phone still a good buy at $300.00 for a 32g model? Compared to new phones costing hundreds more, it still seems to be a great value.

I'm drawn to the software and audio quality.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Is this phone still a good buy at $300.00 for a 32g model? Compared to new phones costing hundreds more, it still seems to be a great value.

It's a solid device, but $300 seems a tad high right now.

I bought one a couple months ago from Best Buy for $249 (it was a deal of the day though) but with the Nexus 5x at $239 for the 32GB model, I am not sure the extra 60 bucks is worth it. Even today I still debate if I made the right choice between the 5x and the Pure when the price was essentially identical.

Don't get me wrong... the Pure is an excellent phone. The sound quality is excellent without doing anything special, clear and loud from the speakers and headphones, the camera takes great pictures, and the software is basically pure Android with a handful of (semi) useful Moto tools thrown in. The screen is phenomenal, even in extremely bright sunlight it is clearly visible, and the device has SD card storage.

The only real drawback I have seen with this device is the battery life, and that is only an issue with certain usage or conditions. If you are indoors under normal lighting with good signal and not gaming, the device will last a full day with ~4-4.5 hours of SOT, if you are outdoors in bright sunlight, doing resource intensive gaming, or on the fringe of service, the battery will drain like fruit in a juicer. Playing Pokemon Go in full sunlight with the auto brightness turned on will max out the display, it will be extremely readable and better than any other device I have used, but the you will be lucky to get 90 minutes of screen on time under these conditions.

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
It might be a good buy, but I'd spend a bit more and get a 6P. I bought the bottom feeder model 16G version of our phones for $400 in January which of course would be a bad buy today (maybe even back then).

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

I don't agree, imo, the 5x is a lesser phone. I just got the mxpe, I came from a n6p. I know it sounds crazy, but there was a lot of things I didn't like about the 6p.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree, imo, the 5x is a lesser phone. I just got the mxpe, I came from a n6p. I know it sounds crazy, but there was a lot of things I didn't like about the 6p.
It depends how you use it... I'm a flashaholic, not many ROMs or support for the MXPE like the 5x and 5x has better battery life.

Everyone's needs and wants is different.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
It depends how you use it... I'm a flashaholic, not many ROMs or support for the MXPE like the 5x and 5x has better battery life.

Everyone's needs and wants is different.

That's cool, but for an average person I'd recommend the mxpe over the 5x, it does a lot of things better.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Seems MotoMaker is running a special. I picked up a 32g w/ wood back for $279 plus tax. That's a deal considering what this phone offers.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Seems MotoMaker is running a special. I picked up a 32g w/ wood back for $279 plus tax. That's a deal considering what this phone offers.

Awesome! That's a great deal. I bought mine last September and still love it.
It takes beautiful pictures, has a great screen and speakers, no bloatware.
Moto gestures are probably my favorite features of any phone, ever.
I have the bamboo back. :)

anon(581114)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up in may (charcoal ash back with 32 gb storage) after I gave my wife my note 5. After a few months of use and a new launcher, I really don't miss my note 5 (I do miss the s-pen). It's a great phone and still a good buy.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
If you can get one at $249 it's a great buy. Software updates are a question mark though. The phone also tends to get hot which was my main gripe.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Ive come on here toask this very question... I have a 6P... and yes its good... but its like a flat black slab in my hand, whereas the MXStyle (Im in UK) seems more shapely and it has an SDCard..

My question is.. what about the camera... is the camera as good as the EIS on the 6p, also Ive read reviews that say the speakers do get a little distorted at high volums on the pure... however, these reviews are release day... and theres been some updates since then.. so

Whats your opinion pls

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you do not play games much, absolutely. The 808 struggles due to the gimped gpu and runs hot even being a gimped 810.

Great device for everything but much gaming. The device chokes some in that case. 808 is not a very efficient chip due to the gpu.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Many people have experienced poor battery life over time. Memory management could be better. Otherwise, there's a lot to like about it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Ive come on here toask this very question... I have a 6P... and yes its good... but its like a flat black slab in my hand, whereas the MXStyle (Im in UK) seems more shapely and it has an SDCard..

My question is.. what about the camera... is the camera as good as the EIS on the 6p, also Ive read reviews that say the speakers do get a little distorted at high volums on the pure... however, these reviews are release day... and theres been some updates since then.. so

Whats your opinion pls

The EIS is excellent on the pure, and I don't recall any problems with the speakers.

lgtomoto

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site

No distortion at all. Having said that, I never find it necessary to go at max volume. I believe they limit volume when it detects distortion. I could be wrong as I read so many different phone articles.

The camera on the 6P is top notch; going to the MXPE would be a definite downgrade.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the 6P is top notch; going to the MXPE would be a definite downgrade.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I prefered the moto x pure in good daylight. The colors were more accurate and true to life. 21 megapixels to boot.

Last edited:

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Well I just got the X Pure yesterday and have already watched a movie on mine. Very crisp and clear. I of course connected to my Bluetooth jbl speaker. It seems to be an awesome phone. It's quite large but at the same time it's dosent seem to be as large as a true 5.7. Not sure why. Really it's going to come down to price point on this phone. I was able to get mine new sealed for $225 so I went ahead and got it. I would have paid ?250 for it but I'm not totally sure at $300 or higher and that bc I have the Moto Z Force as well. Two totally different phones but yet processor wise quite on top of each other. 300 or less, I say get it. You'll enjoy it and it offers a ton at that price point which me being in the market value profession, 300 is a bit below market value when you put the X Pure specs to paper vs other similar comparable units. Market value on the X Pure on paper could easily suggest $400 to $500 max. Plus Motorola software I have found is the smoothest and by far the most seamless interface you can find in an Android. I tried my best to like Samsung but their choppy software was a definite no go for me. I still think the original Droid Turbo even when compared to phones of today is still one of those best phones out there. It's the phone from which I realized that Motorola knows software interface and definitely utilitizes it correctly or the most smoothest I've found since leaving apple this year. I think it's still a great buy at 300 of less.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the MXPE and love it. My wife needs a phone and I was wondering if the MXPE is a better buy, even being a year old, over the new Moto G4 Plus. I would say yes, but maybe I'm biased. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay