Got my new Moto X Pure - It's intensely slow

kevineugenius

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Context: I am "upgrading" from a Moto G 3rd edition that is about a year old. It launches apps snappily but sometimes lags during games like Fallout Shelter, Hearthstone, or Madden Mobile.

This week I got a new Moto X Pure. What a great phone, I love everything about it except one thing. It is so. Slow. Opening an app will sometimes take 5-10 seconds, and not even a big or 3D app. I'm talking about things like the CBS Sports app or Facebook messenger. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Is my phone defective? Like I said, I'm still inside a week with this phone so I'm sure I can send it back for a replacement but I did have to cut down my SIM so I would be without a phone for the duration of the exchange so I wanted to see if there was something I could do to fix it.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. Just yesterday I was at my oldest boy's house for my grandson's birthday and spent some time comparing phones with other family members. I was shocked at how slow most of the other phones were compared to my Pure Edition. Maybe you should take it back.

kevineugenius

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
With help from Motorola support, we have found that the slow apps were installed on my SD card and the SD card is the problem. Its a class 10 card but I've had a couple of them straight up die so I'm not impressed with their quality (silicon power brand).

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
With help from Motorola support, we have found that the slow apps were installed on my SD card and the SD card is the problem. Its a class 10 card but I've had a couple of them straight up die so I'm not impressed with their quality (silicon power brand).
To be honest, the Android implementation of adopted storage is less than perfect regardless of the speed and capability of the sd card. It is highly recommended NOT to use adopted storage unless you have to, and if you do only use a fast UHS1 or a UHS3 card, even with the fastest cards you can find, the internal card reader on the Moto X is only about 1/3 to 1/2 the speed of the embedded internal storage.

Some cards known to perform well as internal storage (but are still noticeably slower than real internal storage) are the Samsung EVO+ series, Lexar Professional 633x/1000x/1800x series, Sandisk Extreme series, and Transcend Ultimate.