02-12-2017 10:39 AM
59 123
tools
    It is simply a security patch, no other changes have been seen or documented and some people have had this for a couple weeks. Still 6.0 on XT1575... The 20 minutes it references seems about right time-wise depending on how many apps you have installed since the "Android is upgrading... Optimizing App XX of XX" usually takes the most time of the whole upgrade.
    Unobtanium, DR L1 and thejesse like this.
    01-10-2017 03:17 PM
    It is simply a security patch, no other changes have been seen or documented and some people have had this for a couple weeks. Still 6.0 on XT1575... The 20 minutes it references seems about right time-wise depending on how many apps you have installed since the "Android is upgrading... Optimizing App XX of XX" usually takes the most time of the whole upgrade.
    I second all of this. Just got it this evening. Had to use WiFi to download, as usual. TBH, I'm pretty much done with my MXPE. Probably getting a Pixel this spring.
    01-10-2017 07:54 PM
    I got it last night also. Thought at first it was Nougat and got excited. I don't think we'll get it at all.
    01-11-2017 06:28 AM
    I got it last night also. Thought at first it was Nougat and got excited. I don't think we'll get it at all.
    It is targeted for Nougat...
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...jZsakZBcDhuIn0.
    rdjr74 likes this.
    01-11-2017 07:23 AM
    Received the update this morning on our two MXPE's....
    01-11-2017 07:24 AM
    Got it and updated, Sept 1st Security Patch
    01-11-2017 08:19 AM
    Just got it and like others I hoped it was the Nougat update. I've read that Lenovo has confirmed that the XP will get it. My Nexus 6 got the Nougat update along with the Oct 5 (2016) security update.
    01-11-2017 09:23 AM
    Got the September update today finally. I'm on AT&T GoPhone, Maryland. Strange, but the update seems to have noticeably slowed down the phone, opening apps and moving around between them. Will monitor this over the next couple of days, I'm not just dreaming it, I'm definitely noticing a difference.

UPDATE: Now 9 days later, phone seems fine, not sure why it seemed to run slow after the update. Maybe each app had to be checked or something before it was loaded the first time?

Anyway, no problems now and the MXPE is definitely the best phone I've owned, super solid build quality and does everything I need. Still waiting for Nougat though...
    01-11-2017 06:51 PM
    I got it overnight and installed it this morning... Now my phone doesn't recognize the internal SD card, where I store several apps. Anyone else know how to get the phone to recognize the card that was in there before the security update?
    01-11-2017 09:52 PM
    Got my phone pretty hot, 111 degrees.
    01-11-2017 10:24 PM
    Got it today.
    01-11-2017 10:30 PM
    I got it overnight and installed it this morning... Now my phone doesn't recognize the internal SD card, where I store several apps. Anyone else know how to get the phone to recognize the card that was in there before the security update?
    Got my phone pretty hot, 111 degrees.
    I would suggest clearing the cache partition as a first step...

https://motorola-global-en-aus.custh...p/30,6720,9541
    01-11-2017 10:48 PM
    I got the update yesterday. It installed with no problems at all.
    01-12-2017 01:55 PM
    Got it today,
    01-12-2017 07:47 PM
    Got the September update today finally. I'm on AT&T GoPhone, Maryland. Strange, but the update seems to have noticeably slowed down the phone, opening apps and moving around between them. Will monitor this over the next couple of days, I'm not just dreaming it, I'm definitely noticing a difference.
    Can't say I can see any lag or slowdown on the two we have in our household. If you are seeing a difference, I'd shutdown, clear the cache, and restart. That simple reboot seems to fix a lot of randomness with all the androids...
    acejavelin likes this.
    01-13-2017 02:34 AM
    No issues here on the ones we have... Suggest the same as @telrod11 clear cache partition and retest.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9541
    telrod11 likes this.
    01-13-2017 09:42 AM
    I received the update on January 11. Promptly cleared cache and dalvik and rebooted.
    No noticeable issues.
    01-13-2017 12:05 PM
    I received the update on January 11. Promptly cleared cache and dalvik and rebooted.
    No noticeable issues.
    I'm newer to android, what's dalvik?
    01-15-2017 02:45 AM
    No noticeable issues.
    I'm newer to android, what's dalvik?
    Dalvik (cache) is the runtime cache, it is actually a misnomer on modern Android device, it would be more accurate to call it ART cache, or just runtime cache, since dalvik runtime hasn't been used for several Android versions (KitKat or so).

Honestly, I am not sure how @pizza_pablo cleared the runtime cache on a stock device since it is not part of the cache partition wipe in stock recovery. You can tell if runtime cache was wiped because on first boot afterwards you will get the pop-up that says "Android is upgrading... Optomizing app XX or XX complete" which it doesn't on this device from a cache wipe, thus the option in stock recovery is just wiping the cache partition.

J Dubbs likes this.
    01-15-2017 12:24 PM
    Arrived for me on AT&T (although on WiFi with no SIM) 30 January
    01-30-2017 06:52 PM
    Arrived for me on AT&T (although on WiFi with no SIM) 30 January
    No SIM means that you weren't on AT&T.
    01-30-2017 06:55 PM
    No SIM means that you weren't on AT&T.
    Just including all relevant information.
    Home (and only) network is AT&T
    01-31-2017 07:41 AM
    Just including all relevant information.
    Home (and only) network is AT&T
    For home internet? SIM is the only relevant information.
    01-31-2017 01:17 PM
    Finally received update. Tried before and after work daily with SIM installed since 10 Jan 17 to no avail. I try without SIM once a week. This time it worked.
    02-02-2017 05:00 PM
    Dalvik (cache) is the runtime cache, it is actually a misnomer on modern Android device, it would be more accurate to call it ART cache, or just runtime cache, since dalvik runtime hasn't been used for several Android versions (KitKat or so).

Honestly, I am not sure how @pizza_pablo cleared the runtime cache on a stock device since it is not part of the cache partition wipe in stock recovery. You can tell if runtime cache was wiped because on first boot afterwards you will get the pop-up that says "Android is upgrading... Optomizing app XX or XX complete" which it doesn't on this device from a cache wipe, thus the option in stock recovery is just wiping the cache partition.

Thanks Ace for the concise explanation ๐Ÿ˜€
    I'm learning a ton from you guys. Sorry about the late response tho, I don't get on here much ๐Ÿ˜ž
    02-07-2017 05:50 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD