Maintenance Release Notes: September 1, 2016 Security Patch

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Got the September update today finally. I'm on AT&T GoPhone, Maryland. Strange, but the update seems to have noticeably slowed down the phone, opening apps and moving around between them. Will monitor this over the next couple of days, I'm not just dreaming it, I'm definitely noticing a difference.
No issues here on the ones we have... Suggest the same as @telrod11 clear cache partition and retest.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/107107/p/30,6720,9541

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I received the update on January 11. Promptly cleared cache and dalvik and rebooted.
No noticeable issues.
I'm newer to android, what's dalvik?
Dalvik (cache) is the runtime cache, it is actually a misnomer on modern Android device, it would be more accurate to call it ART cache, or just runtime cache, since dalvik runtime hasn't been used for several Android versions (KitKat or so).

Honestly, I am not sure how @pizza_pablo cleared the runtime cache on a stock device since it is not part of the cache partition wipe in stock recovery. You can tell if runtime cache was wiped because on first boot afterwards you will get the pop-up that says "Android is upgrading... Optomizing app XX or XX complete" which it doesn't on this device from a cache wipe, thus the option in stock recovery is just wiping the cache partition.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/107107/p/30,6720,9541

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Finally received update. Tried before and after work daily with SIM installed since 10 Jan 17 to no avail. I try without SIM once a week. This time it worked.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Dalvik (cache) is the runtime cache, it is actually a misnomer on modern Android device, it would be more accurate to call it ART cache, or just runtime cache, since dalvik runtime hasn't been used for several Android versions (KitKat or so).

Honestly, I am not sure how @pizza_pablo cleared the runtime cache on a stock device since it is not part of the cache partition wipe in stock recovery. You can tell if runtime cache was wiped because on first boot afterwards you will get the pop-up that says "Android is upgrading... Optomizing app XX or XX complete" which it doesn't on this device from a cache wipe, thus the option in stock recovery is just wiping the cache partition.

Thanks Ace for the concise explanation 😀
I'm learning a ton from you guys. Sorry about the late response tho, I don't get on here much 😞

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I was able to install the 9/16 patch by removing my T-Mobile SIM and using wifi to download and install it.
Question. Will i need to remove my T-Mobile SIM in order to install N(7.0) over wifi as well?:cool:

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I was able to install the 9/16 patch by removing my T-Mobile SIM and using wifi to download and install it.
Question. Will i need to remove my T-Mobile SIM in order to install N(7.0) over wifi as well?:cool:

We left our cricket sim(s) in both of our mxpe's, and got the maintenance release. I'm not sure whether having the carrier Sim in or out makes a difference.

Anyone verify whether the SIM makes a difference?

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
We left our cricket sim(s) in both of our mxpe's, and got the maintenance release. I'm not sure whether having the carrier Sim in or out makes a difference.

Anyone verify whether the SIM makes a difference?

For T-Mobile, it seems you do for some reason...

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. You didn't have to for the first update in Feb.
It isn't a TMO branded phone, so it has to be the SIM.

Popped the holder halfway out, phone updating - hopefully.

Now I just hope I don't have to go through and update all my "no's"

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. You didn't have to for the first update in Feb.
It isn't a TMO branded phone, so it has to be the SIM.

Popped the holder halfway out, phone updating - hopefully.

Now I just hope I don't have to go through and update all my "no's"

Weird part was that i tried updating using MDM with the SIM in and it didn't update. just a pickadilla i guess

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Weird part was that i tried updating using MDM with the SIM in and it didn't update. just a pickadilla i guess
I thought system updates for 3rd generation and newer devices (Moto G 2015, Moto X Pure/Style, Moto G4, Moto Z, etc) was no longer supported with MDM... Lenovo doesn't seem to interested in maintaining a separate tool (and don't get me started on the fact I believe they aren't really interesting in doing updates on devices over 12 months old either).

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For T-Mobile, it seems you do for some reason...
Can anyone on T-Mobile verify your APN type parameter of your current APN? I wonder if this has to do with "fota" type... On AT&T my APN Type is set to "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota" and I have always gotten OTAs quite normally... I know fota is an acronym for Firmware Over The Air.

Just a thought...

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine isn't. It's the normal FAST. The closest APN I'd have is for the old DUN for PC Web. Did you have a Moto phone that was sold by TMO in the past?

On mine, I could also have disabled whatever runs the updates. I got the phone in Feb a year ago and was probably still looking for stuff to disable. I simply don't need all the extra crap.

I'd like to be able to disable almost everything. That dumb Doze would be one of the first to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc