International use

sybilwayne30

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone successfully used their MXPE while on international travel? I have a Verizon sim. They tell me they can't set me up for it since my phone "isn't compatible". Just wondered what others have experienced.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used it but it will depend on where you want to use it. If the phone network you're trying to use is in a band not supported by your phone, then you won't be able to use it. Most of the time, for instance, EU phones won't work on 4G in the US and viceversa, some will work on 3G and most all 'international' models will work on 2G.

Some companies are more adamant to letting people use phones not sold by them, but that will only mean that you won't get much support from them in setting things up if needed, but again, most of the time, if the phone is unlocked and compatible with the network bands, just inserting the SIM from the new network should do the trick.

Here are the bands that your phone supports according to GSM Arena. You should check which company and area you're trying to use it in and see if they are on any of those compatible bands.
Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (2015) specs

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I used my MXPE, which is on the Verizon network, while vacationing in Europe for 6 weeks last summer -- traveling from London to Rome, then through Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Ireland, and Wales -- and it worked flawlessly everywhere we went. I highly recommend using Verizon's "Travel Pass" plan for international data, phone, and text.

Under the Travel Pass plan, your usage limits are based on your regular domestic Verizon plan. So at that time, I could have used up to 12 GB per month, without incurring any "overage" charges. Compare the cost of the best stand-alone monthly international data plan on Verizon, which is $25 for 1 GB plus an additional $25 for each 100 MB over that limit -- needless to say, at that rate, you can run up a substantial bill in short order. Under the Travel Pass plan, you'll pay $10 for each day you use internet access (which extends for a full 24 hours from the time you first access data on your device, so it can in fact span parts of two successive days); but the availability of free wi-fi throughout western Europe has improved dramatically over the past few years, so I believe I only had to use my Verizon data for a total of 6 or 7 days during the 41 days we were in Europe.

Another recommendation when traveling in Europe, FWIW: While you're on free wi-fi in one city (normally at your hotel), go to Google Maps and download to your phone a map for the next city you plan to visit, so that you can access the map without needing to connect to the internet. This was an invaluable resource for us, particularly in cities like Venice, where it's easy to get lost in the maze of streets, because the GPS will always show your location and the direction you're heading on the street map. (Of course, it's fun to wander around lost in those old European cities, but much more so when you have the comfort of being able to pull out your phone to find your way back.) Printed maps are essential, too, but sometimes they aren't much help unless you can figure out exactly where you are.

Enjoy your journey, and be safe!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone successfully used their MXPE while on international travel? I have a Verizon sim. They tell me they can't set me up for it since my phone "isn't compatible". Just wondered what others have experienced.

Do you intend to use your Verizon SIM while traveling?

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify my prior response, I used my MXPE with the Verizon sim card in Europe and had no problems. It was the same Verizon sim card that I had taken out of my previous phone, a 2014 Moto X, and simply dropped into the MXPE when I purchased it. And I just did the same with the MXPE I gave my wife for Christmas. I don't understand what "they" told you about "setting it up," but unless something has changed since last July, if your MXPE is working on the Verizon network domestically, all you should need to do before you go is arrange with Verizon Wireless to activate an international data and calling plan.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify my prior response, I used my MXPE with the Verizon sim card in Europe and had no problems. It was the same Verizon sim card that I had taken out of my previous phone, a 2014 Moto X, and simply dropped into the MXPE when I purchased it. And I just did the same with the MXPE I gave my wife for Christmas. I don't understand what "they" told you about "setting it up," but unless something has changed since last July, if your MXPE is working on the Verizon network domestically, all you should need to do before you go is arrange with Verizon Wireless to activate an international data and calling plan.

My guess is the OP wants to set up one of the international options like TravelPass.

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know whether my previous posts were confusing in some respect, but the Travel Pass plan on Verizon is exactly the plan I used with my MXPE while traveling in Europe. It doesn't require any special sim card or other "set up" by Verizon, just the activation of an international data and calling plan (e.g., the Travel Pass plan), which can be done with Verizon Wireless over the phone. Of course, there's always the option of purchasing a sim card and plan from the local carrier/telecommunications company in the other country once you arrive, but I assumed from the original post that the question related to use of the MXPE on the Verizon network with a Verizon international plan while abroad.

sybilwayne30

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you purchase your MXPE from Motorola? When I checked with Verizon, the person I spoke with told me I couldn't use it with their travel plan. Did the person I spoke with just not know?

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my MXPE from Best Buy. If you are already using your MXPE on Verizon Wireless network, then I don't understand why you need Verizon to do anything to make your phone work internationally, other than to purchase and activate one of their international plans -- provided, of course, that you're going to a country where they have an associated carrier to provide service (which includes all the countries of western Europe). But maybe something has changed since last summer. If so, I apologize for providing information that no longer applies.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so a follow up down a different path.....
My wife will be in Israel in June, and I *dont* want her phone to be able to work. (just wifi)
Is there anything I would need to do to make that happen?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so a follow up down a different path.....
My wife will be in Israel in June, and I *dont* want her phone to be able to work. (just wifi)
Is there anything I would need to do to make that happen?

Take the SIM out.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There's no reason I'm aware of that would make the device incompatible. I didn't have my mxpe long enough to test this, but my Moto x 13, 14 and Nexus 6 all worked in Italy with Verizon's international plan.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's a great idea, but she will want to use it as soon as she lands stateside, *and*, there is no way she is going to be able to perform Sim surgery on this phone. Any other ideas?
SIM surgery?!?! This is a simple paperclip 30 second fix, otherwise with the SIM in it is going to try to connect and could result in inbound calls and texts (at a potentially high cost, especially if you not on your carriers international roaming plan). Android devices always use some amount of data too, so having the SIM in and not completely disabling mobile data could result in charges and we know that even with mobile data disabled, it is possible to use minuscule amounts of data during a reboot, which in the US probably isn't a big deal but overseas this could be a significant charge.

Ry's answer is the best one to ensure no use occurs.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
SIM surgery?!?! This is a simple paperclip 30 second fix, otherwise with the SIM in it is going to try to connect and could result in inbound calls and texts (at a potentially high cost, especially if you not on your carriers international roaming plan). Android devices always use some amount of data too, so having the SIM in and not completely disabling mobile data could result in charges and we know that even with mobile data disabled, it is possible to use minuscule amounts of data during a reboot, which in the US probably isn't a big deal but overseas this could be a significant charge.

Ry's answer is the best one to ensure no use occurs.

Again, you have not met my wife.... :)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Again, you have not met my wife.... :)
Lol, Fair enough... Then the best answer is put the phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi.

I fly a lot, I can tell you that once in a while when powered up Airplane mode will turn itself off at random, so you have to keep an eye on it.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Lol, Fair enough... Then the best answer is put the phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi.

I fly a lot, I can tell you that once in a while when powered up Airplane mode will turn itself off at random, so you have to keep an eye on it.

OK, we are on Cricket, so it may not be an issue anyway, but I'm going to *try* and make her just leave the phone OFF after she leave NYC, and then turn it on again when she gets back. She has a wifi tablet, and I'm hoping just to communicate with Hangouts over wifi while she is gone...
Thanks

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I used mine in the UK no problem by purchasing a local sim card (I used the Three carrier, but they have plenty of carrier choices and you can easily buy a sim at a local phone store and refill if needed. A $20 card got me through three weeks with some left over at the end). You lose your local U.S. number, obviously, but it's much cheaper than U.S. carriers' international plans. If you need to contact someone at home then you can use Google Voice or Facebook Messenger in wifi.

I wanted over-the-air service just for the times I wasn't under wifi but needed to make a local call or search on Google or post something on Facebook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908