If you decide to replace your Moto X PE what phone would you get?

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I currently own the MXPE and love it - white/bamboo. The only issue I would improve is the battery. I've owned the previous 2 Moto Xs as well, and don't want to spend $600+ on a Pixel/Samsung or LG. I've been researching One+/Honor/Asus and other budget unlocked phones but keep coming back to Moto for the near stock android and overall experience. I'm curious about the update for the Moto Z Play, but I would never use the mods. Has anyone out there had luck with a sub $500 phone that they would recommend? Thanks.

BuccoDroid

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
This is a tough question. Mainly because the MotoX Pure is a one off phone. A mid priced phone with a lot of top of the line features. I bought mine to replace a Note 4. Never have missed the Note 4 stylus.

Actually have been looking around to find another phone so I can give my wife my MotoX Pure and I get a new phone. But there is nothing really on the market right now that I like more than the Moto X Pure. Did look at the Moto G5 but not crazy about the small screen size. Also looked at the Moto Z but why pay soooo much money for a phone that really lives and breathes by the mods you add to it.

Since I am with Verizon and have been for forever I am unwilling to change carriers so I am stuck with CDMA phones. I want a phone that is unlocked and has a very close to pure Android OS. After reviewing several phones, the Moto Z, Galaxy S8, and finally the Pixel XL if I would replace my Moto X Pure it most likely be with the Pixel XL. Unfortunately it is twice what I would pay for the Moto X Pure but if I buy it from Google I can get it for 24 nice payments without any interest. Only problem with that is do I want to be stuck to the phone for two years like I did when I bought from Verizon.

What I have finally decided to do for now is not to replace the Moto X Pure but the Note 4 that I handed down to my wife when I got the Moto X Pure. And I am going to do that by buying another Moto X Pure for me and handing down my old one to her.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
And where can you get a new MXPE these days, preferably the 64gb?
B&H Photo stocks the 64GB model for $329 new, and the 32GB and 16GB versions.

They are the last reputable retailer I know about that stock them new... Best Buy did until about a week ago, know all 3 models show "This item is no longer available." for new ones, although they still carry refurbished units with warranty.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I know that BestBuy sold them on sale for $250 for the 64gb, so $329 is a bit expensive
That was the refurbished price... the 32GB sold new a couple times as a Deal of the Day for $250, the 64GB was $299 for a best price new on BB to my knowledge. I could be wrong but I watch those deals pretty regularly.

Is $329 a bit steep for a 64GB Moto X Pure? Maybe... To be honest I still don't see why 32GB+microSD isn't enough, I can still get by on 16GB if I need to.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm tired of Android...... I'll be replacing my MXPE with an iPhone when the X finally dies. My X is a year and a half old and works like new in every way....no loss in battery life at all, no screen issues/overheating/lagging ect. It's been perfect..... too bad it's running Android or I'd love the thing ;-)

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
My XPE battery has been fading - running hot and dropping charge quickly, even when the phone is off. If the XPE had a user-replaceable battery (no, phone surgery doesn't count) I would stay with it. Had to go, though, so I went with Sprint's LG V20 father's day deal. I'd prefer a non-carrier phone but the deal (and free 49" TV) changed my mind.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
My XPE battery has been fading - running hot and dropping charge quickly, even when the phone is off. If the XPE had a user-replaceable battery (no, phone surgery doesn't count) I would stay with it. Had to go, though, so I went with Sprint's LG V20 father's day deal. I'd prefer a non-carrier phone but the deal (and free 49" TV) changed my mind.
Same issue here, that is why I asked the question of best existing Motorola phone. Between my office and car chargers I can keep the charge up. Don't know if and when my MPE gets nougat if battery performance will improve. So many things I like about the MPE (camera is NOT one of them) hate to retire it after only a couple years. Will hold on for now. And not willing to switch carriers.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I replaced mine already with an HTC 10. Love the 10 and it's a much better size for my liking. The MXPE got annoying after about a year or less. Tired of big phones finally. I got the 10 used about a year ago and that was the end of the MXPE for me. I'd sell it if it were worth anything.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I still love my Moto XPE and I'm having a hard time deciding on a replacement. At first I was concerned the screen was going to be too big but its not and now I'm used to it. It would be nice for Moto to come out with a big/bigger screen like the MXPE with slim bezels, big 4000+ mah battery and dual cameras. A 660 SoC and FHD would be fine. Moto needs more diversity than the 5'2 and 5'5 clone phones they've been pushing.

beandaddy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My battery is lasting less than three hours. I'm lugging around a battery pack on vacation in DC. Yesterday it died charged it up for a couple of hours then it used 55% (leaving me with 45% battery) by the time it booted. It will power down anywhere from 35ish percent down, without warning.

I wanted to wait for either the next note (8)or big pixel 2. But dang near went to get a S8+ Wednesday, but I head back home Friday. So I just need to get through today. I reset to factory about a month ago trying to 'fix' battery issues.

5.7 is my minimum screen size.
Moto /Lenovo are out of the running for the foreseeable future for me.
I pre-ordered this xpe the minute it was available. So it's about 20 month old. I'm unrooted

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My battery is lasting less than three hours. I'm lugging around a battery pack on vacation in DC. Yesterday it died charged it up for a couple of hours then it used 55% (leaving me with 45% battery) by the time it booted. It will power down anywhere from 35ish percent down, without warning.

I wanted to wait for either the next note (8)or big pixel 2. But dang near went to get a S8+ Wednesday, but I head back home Friday. So I just need to get through today. I reset to factory about a month ago trying to 'fix' battery issues.

5.7 is my minimum screen size.
Moto /Lenovo are out of the running for the foreseeable future for me.
I pre-ordered this xpe the minute it was available. So it's about 20 month old. I'm unrooted
When is the last time you did a cache wipe?

Also, replacing the battery isn't overly difficult on these device, just watch a few YT videos, but I recommend ordering a replacement back with adhesive as well.

That said, the battery life of the MXPE is pretty bad, especially outdoors... the screen is a massive battery hog and the "price" for having such a nice display is battery life.