If you decide to replace your Moto X PE what phone would you get?

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I love my MXPE but I jumped on the Amazon Prime deal for the Mate 9 ($449). I've been interested in the Mate 9 for a while and especially for the strong battery. I'll keep my MXPE as a backup and will wait to see what the Moto X4 has to offer if the Mate disappoints.

beandaddy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
s8+.
bought two yesterday.
and too many accessories. wireless chargers, not enough cables...
still not sold on it, BUT dang if this battery does not make the mxpe look weak.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
When is the last time you did a cache wipe?

Also, replacing the battery isn't overly difficult on these device, just watch a few YT videos, but I recommend ordering a replacement back with adhesive as well.

That said, the battery life of the MXPE is pretty bad, especially outdoors... the screen is a massive battery hog and the "price" for having such a nice display is battery life.

I've already replaced mine with the LG G6, which I love. However, you've inspired me to try replacing the battery on the X. I miss a lot of the features (chop for flashlight, twist for camera etc.) and would make a great back up if my G6 get's damaged. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, the Moto Z Force was a strong contender, but I couldn't see paying that much money and the unlocked version (I'm on T-Mobile) supposedly was missing certain bands that I needed. In the end, the G6 was a great price for the feature set.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain

Yep, that's pretty much what mine looks like. It was never great, but towards the end, I was charging it 3 times a day on average. I just moved to the G6 and it took a few days to get used to the fact that I don't have to charge it except once in the morning. I now have about 40-50% battery left over by 8pm-ish!

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone going with Moto Z2 Play?

I gave it a serious thought, especially with the great reviews the original Z Play received. I loved my Moto XPE but the processor left me wanting more and seemed sluggish after a while. I was afraid the same would happen with the Z2 Play.

The Z Force was also on my short-list, but the price was way more than I wanted to pay. The battery on both was super tempting.

In the end, I decided I wanted a premium phone, but at a good price so I weren't with the LG G6.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about it. But I want to see if a new X (heavily rumored) debuts or if we ever get 7.0 or 7.1.1 if that makes the X Pure better. Guess I'm going to have to wait...
I'm having a hard time believing that Nougat will dramatically improve battery life as the screen is the big drain and my standby drain isn't too bad. Of course I don't have a SIM card in it either. It sure is nice to hold compared to the Z Force.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a hard time believing that Nougat will dramatically improve battery life as the screen is the big drain and my standby drain isn't too bad. Of course I don't have a SIM card in it either. It sure is nice to hold compared to the Z Force.
Screen on time will NOT increase with Nougat, it can't... software can't make hardware use less power.

The deep sleep/doze of Nougat is better, and it will increase your standby time some.

The best way to increase battery life is to disable all the Moto features, like wave/lift to wake, Moto Display to pulse notifications, etc... that will increase your standby time just as much as Nougat will (I gained 15% over a full day's light use).

The Z Force was amazing, but the Z2 Force seems almost like a mistake (a smaller battery than the Pure, you have got to be kidding me).

I am still waiting, if the original Moto X4/2017 specs hold true with a SD660 and 3800mAh battery, it might be worth it at the $400 price point, if the later rumors of a SD630 and 3000mAh battery are more accurate, I'll skip it and probably either grab something else like the new Axon which should be out soon.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm really torn. I just haven't been able to warm up to the Z and the Pixel just doesn't do it for me either at that price point. I have even thought about Samsung but just couldn't pull the trigger. I'm waiting to see what the new X offers and I might go with that. My Pure is still going strong so I will just be patient for now.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had almost every Moto phone since the beginning, but I'm really thinking hard about switching to the "red fruit"... the 8 is looking pretty slick, just don't know if I can live without Android.... waiting to see what the new X and the new pixel brings to the table... I've been just soooo anti-fruit since the beginning, not sure if I can pull the trigger though... we'll see...

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I had hoped the next Moto X would be worth while when my current MotoX Pure (2016) needs replacing, however looking at the newewst leaked photo's, it is not appealing to me. Which is a shame, as I like the light Moto skin to Android.

I started my smart phone adventure with the fruit, and am glad to say I saw the light when I jumped to the MXPE... Paying ~$800 for a phone that is essentially the same as what I had, with maybe a better camera and/or moving pictures was not worth it to me.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I like the pure but not having recent OS fixes and security patches puts users at an disadvantage. I like the idea of a the X4 but the rumored US spec's (32g/3g) ram and a $400 price tag make it no better in specs than the Zs or the current X3. For $100 less theres the g5 Plus which for $100 less you receive 64g/4g ram and a larger screen to boot. BUT both phones upgrade eligibility beyond N is still unknown. So in theory we could be in the same situation in a year and a half if you choose to stick with motolevona..

Id LOVE a pixel with guaranteed 2 years of OS and security patch updates but i cant afford the entry fee so that leads me to what left in the $300 to $400 range for a phone with a proven track record that runs pure android, same specs as the G5 plus and has guaranteed OS/security patch updates. Sure would be cool if google made available the Android One line in the US...

Last edited:

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Oddly enough, I just got a post on my FB feed about the One+ 5.. Haven't looked into it much but I may look at what they have to offer as well. I DO quite enjoy Motorola's take on Android, as it's simple and not bloatware like Samsungs. There don't seem to be many other manufacturer's out there running near pure android.

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Oddly enough, I just got a post on my FB feed about the One+ 5.. Haven't looked into it much but I may look at what they have to offer as well. I DO quite enjoy Motorola's take on Android, as it's simple and not bloatware like Samsungs. There don't seem to be many other manufacturer's out there running near pure android.

After a good deal of research, thought and waiting, mine is being replaced next week by a oneplus 5.
The deciding factors between it and the competitors, primarily samsung, was the cost, speed of the phone, storage (got the 128 gig and 8 gig ram version), oxygen OS, the alert slider, dash charging, and oddly enough in part Oneplus's warranty policy (unlocking the bootloader doesn't void your warranty, like *cough* Moto *cough*)

For me the X will be my last Moto device, after the whole nouget update debacle.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I replaced mine 2 weeks ago with the LG V20. As much as I liked my MXPE, it was on its way out. I was experiencing multiple random reboots, Bluetooth issues pairing with my car, WiFi issues at home, and need to charge it several times a day.

I'm happy with the V20, and I'm not missing stock Android, since I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices anyway.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Well yesterday I replaced my MXPE with an LG V30. These 2 phones are surprisingly very close in size. It was time to let go of the MXPE, sad to finally put it out to pasture. I was looking at the new Motorola phone but none really stood out to me. So far happy with the V30.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power