If you decide to replace your Moto X PE what phone would you get?

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, i was able to compare 32g/4RAM 1st gen pixel, and a 64g/RAM G5 plus s. The pixel was running 8.0 and was fast, looked good but i just have to stop and think about spending $549 on a phone.

Then comes the G5 plus s. Running 7.1.1, felt good in hand and i liked the metal frame. And this for $300 with more storage and the same RAM...BUT its a motoleveno.....

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday, i was able to compare 32g/4RAM 1st gen pixel, and a 64g/RAM G5 plus s. The pixel was running 8.0 and was fast, looked good but i just have to stop and think about spending $549 on a phone.

Then comes the G5 plus s. Running 7.1.1, felt good in hand and i liked the metal frame. And this for $300 with more storage and the same RAM...BUT its a motoleveno.....
I upgraded to the Essential phone.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Even though Nougat has improved my Pure X, I ordered the X4. I'll miss the bigger screen but I'm looking forward to Alexa capability and Oreo sooner than never with the Pure X. I'll be listing it on Swappa by the beginning of November so she gets a new home.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Even though Nougat has improved my Pure X, I ordered the X4. I'll miss the bigger screen but I'm looking forward to Alexa capability and Oreo sooner than never with the Pure X. I'll be listing it on Swappa by the beginning of November so she gets a new home.
If anyone buys a Moto X4, be sure to report back here

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If anyone buys a Moto X4, be sure to report back here

I got it yesterday, too early to say anything of substance but it's a beauty, I love the fingerprint reader especially to access apps without having to enter a password. I'm going to miss the X Pure especially now that it has Nougat but it's nice to have the latest from Moto.

fishmonger3

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a grandfathered unlimited data package with Verizon, & use the unlocked hotspot feature for internet capabilities at home. I need another phone what will be able to do this, without making me pay another fee for tethering. Any ideas on which phone to replace my X pure?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got a Moto Z2 Play and I'm digging it. The battery life is WAY better than the MXPE was, new, with same daily life usage.
I'm really digging the ONE BUTTON NAV feature, too.

ETA, got the wife an X4, last week. It's battery life is great, also.

ETA, again,
I was stuck between the Z2 Play and the X4, but ended up with the Z2. The 4 GB RAM and 64GB internal storage did it. I've had it just shy of three months and the wife has had the X4 for a month. With what I now know about the two, the Z2 would be an easy choice for me.
I prob won't get any mods, either, but the thinness is awesome in my pocket, especially compared to the MXPE.
The X4 is a decent phone, but a few things bother me:
A) Only 32GB internal storage which has 13GB taken up by OS files. I've read that it's some doubling of files, in order to make updates smoother.
B) 3 GB of RAM. The wife has not reported lag issues, but I want more RAM to enable the phone to be able to handle future needs.
C) The camera has a really bad lag, between pressing the go button and the pic actually being captured. I've side loaded a Google Camera apk and every time I test it, it snaps pics right after the button is pressed, but in real world use, she misses what she is trying to capture. Very frustrating.
D) Lack of availability of good cases. I like hybrid cases, like Speck or Incipio, with a hard back and grippy sides. There are no major manufacturers cases available for the X4.
E) X4 is kinda fat in thickness, when compared to the Z2 and I prefer the larger screen on the Z2.

Both batteries greatly out perform the MXPE, even when new. With the same daily usage and charging, I am usually left with at least 50%. The MXPE often required charging, in the evening, in order to make it to bed time.
I am really happy with my Z2 choice. I have been using the ONE BUTTON NAV feature and it's pretty awesome. Sometimes I forget which way to swipe it, when in landscape, using a nav dock and sometimes BACK goes all the way to the home screen, instead of just back one page in the app being used, but overall I like it.
I have rooted it and themed it. Making the backgrounds black is my major motivation for rooting. Since lollipop arrived with all of its white backgrounds and icons I have been a theming junkie. I'll be trying Xposed and Gravity Box, soon, but only for a few tweaks.

I really like tempted glass screen protectors! I think they feel better than a bare screen and they give me security piece of mind. I am using a TG PROJECTOR, to I can't recall which, and it is serving me well. It does not cover the entire screen side to side, but covers enough and the cutouts are accurate.

I have the Sleo snap case for weekend carry and is a great low profile and grippy case. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6078986

I have a Speck Presidio for work days and it's quite grippy.

I also have an Otterbox Commuter for days that require even more protection, but is had a smooth back and is a bit hard to hold on to. I have a GadgetShieldz for a different phone (Z Force I think) that I will add to the back of the Commuter, in hopes of adding grip.
ETA: got the Gadgetshieldz camera and body protectors. I'm not impressed. The sandstone finish seems just as slippery as the Commuter case and the camera protector does not have precise cuts. I reckon they are cheap for a reason.

I have tried this camera protector, but they did not stay applied and are plastic, not glass.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6078986
I have GadgetShieldz camera films for both phones on their way, also.

I tried this case, before better cases were available and returned. It is cheap and not grippy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6078986

We sold the wife's X4 and she now, also has a US Unlocked Z2 Play. She is liking it, much better than the X4.

Last edited:

Jmmorales

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
loved my MXPE 2015 64gb black w blue accent but imma blackberrian and got a keyone now just looking to see if a trade for a LG V10 possible for my MXPE so for no takers anywhere maybe MXPE not as valuable as I thought

mhaider

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2 year old MXPE that I was very happy with until I dropped it and started to have screen issues and severe battery drain. After some research I decided on a Moto G5S Plus last week from Best Buy on sale. A week in with the G5S and I couldn't be happier, especially with the battery. As I type this I am going on 1 day 13 hours off the charger and am at 21% remaining, way better then I ever got from the MXPE.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Well. That didn't last long

bought a 1st gen pixel XL.

Speedy, newest OS and all but the network & call reception, and sound isn't worth the hearty price tag so im returning it. Back to the MXPE for the time being but eyeing that $239 G5+ with 64g/4g RAM....

SmartAssBill

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
just bought a brand new Moto Z2 force on Ebay $330.50 Shipped with screen protector.
Now just need to unload these TMO iPhones 8s I got on the BOGO deal...

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Tempting. A new Moto XPE 32g for $150 on my local CL. Would solve my battery issue but wonder if I got it up and running on my network if I'd get the updates?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Tempting. A new Moto XPE 32g for $150 on my local CL. Would solve my battery issue but wonder if I got it up and running on my network if I'd get the updates?
New? There hasn't been a "new" MXPE in 2 years... The battery is still 2+ years old.

Honestly, take that $150 and add $50 to it and get an Honor 7x or Moto G5, you will triple or more your battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084