05-10-2017 09:56 PM
115 12345
tools
    Ok. If its based on IMEI then whats the method to determine how its rolled out?
    For Motorola, random IMEIs in batches for push until final push for all or available for all to pull.
    matthewkuhl and acejavelin like this.
    04-28-2017 03:25 PM
    reading about IMEI numbers and wiki states that a IMEI numbers purpose is locating devices. So maybe the region explanation isnt to far off. It still doesnt account for the entire method though.
    04-28-2017 04:23 PM
    i am eager to get it - it made EVERYthing on the Moto Z better
    04-28-2017 04:50 PM
    reading about IMEI numbers and wiki states that a IMEI numbers purpose is locating devices. So maybe the region explanation isnt to far off. It still doesnt account for the entire method though.
    Where does it say locating?

It identifies.

OEMs don't ping all of their devices in Florida to push an update.
    04-28-2017 05:33 PM
    What will put all the skepticism away is when someone else other then the OP gets the update and responds.
    04-29-2017 07:48 AM
    Ok. If its based on IMEI then whats the method to determine how its rolled out?
    Moto doesn't disclose that information... but we know for sure it is IMEI based and done in batches so as not to overload the update servers (Moto reps have said that in the official forums). IMEI "batches" could be any number of groupings, sequential, random, sampling of versions, etc. but the key factor is we don't know and it seems to be Motorola Proprietary Information.

It is assumed this is done in phases similar to Google... After testing/soaks, a small roll-out of >1% of devices is done and then there is a short waiting period to see if there is a significant problem. If there isn't then a larger roll out occurs, like 5% of devices, assuming all goes well, then the rest of the devices in typically 2-3 groups. All of this is usually spread over 2-4 weeks from start to finish, so just have patience.
    itic, Laura Knotek and J Dubbs like this.
    04-29-2017 10:39 AM
    The Optimum App is not compatible with Android Nougat 7.0
    04-29-2017 01:17 PM
    No official statement about update rolling out, says Motorola's moderator:

"What moto web site says the update is rolling out now? Published release notes for software do not mean it is rolling out.*

I have seen nothing offcial from motorola saying the update is rolling out to Pure or Style.*

3rd party sites are not and have never been a reliable source of information unless they have a link to an official motorola statement.*"

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X-...ht/true#M19081

I hope it's ok to copy posts from another forum.
    Ry likes this.
    04-29-2017 01:20 PM
    When it comes to communication I trust Lenovo even less.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    04-29-2017 02:00 PM
    Even though ‘Quick Settings’ in Android Nougat appears to be better, now it takes three steps to accomplish what I used to do in just two.
    I used to use the two finger swipe from the top to bring down settings and notifications bar down, then one tap on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or the data will toggle them ON or OFF, but now when I tap on them it goes into their respective settings where I have to tap again to toggle them ON or OFF.
    05-01-2017 10:38 AM
    I don't see it yet but wondering since it is an unlocked, carrier free phone if the typical forced installs will eventually happen. I have "N" on another device and it's fine but a lot of people wish they had not had to update. So might want to make sure you want it before pushing that button.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-01-2017 01:36 PM
    I don't see it yet but wondering since it is an unlocked, carrier free phone if the typical forced installs will eventually happen. I have "N" on another device and it's fine but a lot of people wish they had not had to update. So might want to make sure you want it before pushing that button.
    A big Amen to that ;-)
    For folks information it will only update automatically if your phone is on and charging while connected to a Wi-Fi network.
    05-02-2017 03:23 AM
    A big Amen to that ;-)
    For folks information it will only update automatically if your phone is on and charging while connected to a Wi-Fi network.
    Actually, it WON"T update automatically...

It will prompt you that an update is available, then you must select the "I'm In" button and the upgrade will download in the background when on WiFi... This update is 1.2GB and there is no option to download on mobile data, it must be on WiFi. After the download is completed, there will be a message that the update is ready to apply and the usually warning that it will be unavailable, no 911, etc, for quite a while, after you accept the terms then the phone will reboot and apply the updates.

If you do not select the "I'm In" button, it will wait (I believe 3 or 5 days the first time) before it prompts you again, I think even a manual check will "fail" during this windows but I don't remember for sure, then every 24 hours after that it will remind you of an update.

Moto devices do not force you to take an update, or do it unattended. But it will annoy you into taking it.

The other question asked once in a while is "What will happen if I don't have 1.2GB of space available?" and actually it needs a little more than that, I don't think anyone has said for certain but there is this comment on Lenovo's forums. But it seems there is some space reserved that is released after the final major OS upgrade.

04-28-2016 04:31 PM
    The various system partitions have free space allocated so that OTA updates don't fail and to store system cache related data (for /cache).

On my 64GB, /cache has around 800MB allocated, and /system has 1.2GB free. Usually the last support OTA will reduce these partition sizes, as another major OS upgrade isn't planned.
    - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X-...e/td-p/3316742
    05-02-2017 07:35 AM

It will prompt you that an update is available, then you must select the "I'm In" button and the upgrade will download in the background when on WiFi... This update is 1.2GB and there is no option to download on mobile data, it must be on WiFi. After the download is completed, there will be a message that the update is ready to apply and the usually warning that it will be unavailable, no 911, etc, for quite a while, after you accept the terms then the phone will reboot and apply the updates.

If you do not select the "I'm In" button, it will wait (I believe 3 or 5 days the first time) before it prompts you again, I think even a manual check will "fail" during this windows but I don't remember for sure, then every 24 hours after that it will remind you of an update.

Moto devices do not force you to take an update, or do it unattended. But it will annoy you into taking it.

The other question asked once in a while is "What will happen if I don't have 1.2GB of space available?" and actually it needs a little more than that, I don't think anyone has said for certain but there is this comment on Lenovo's forums. But it seems there is some space reserved that is released after the final major OS upgrade.
    Yep, you are right about the update process. First it will inform you that an update is available then you have to agree to download it and then agree again to install it. And the device have to be connected to Wi-Fi to download it and the battery over 50% charged to install it.
    The update I got was a little bit over 800MB.
    05-03-2017 12:55 AM
    Jojesa
    How's your battery on N?
    05-03-2017 06:14 AM
    Jojesa
    How's your battery on N?
    During the day time, I do not see a difference.
    During the night (Doze) Nougat uses more than double what Marshmallow was using.
    Android M was using around 4% and now it uses 8-10
    Last night usage (12am - 7am)
    Screen 2%
    Android OS 2%
    Phone idle 2%
    Google Services 2%
    Sometimes one or two of these will use up to 3%, but previously these were using 1% only.
    05-03-2017 11:28 AM
    I got a system update on my Moto X Pure that appears to be Nougat update.
    Has anyone other Moto X user seen it?
    Attachment 258187
    I think I received this update a couple of days ago, but it's not Nougat, although it was sizeable. I'm still on 6. Check your version.
    05-03-2017 11:47 AM
    Yep, you are right about the update process. First it will inform you that an update is available then you have to agree to download it and then agree again to install it. And the device have to be connected to Wi-Fi to download it and the battery over 50% charged to install it.
    The update I got was a little bit over 800MB.
    Are you certain that wasn't a security update?
    05-03-2017 12:18 PM
    Are you certain that wasn't a security update?
    It went from 6.0.1 to 7.0 ....so definitely not a security update
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    05-03-2017 01:33 PM
    It went from 6.0.1 to 7.0 ....so definitely not a security update
    7.0 is Nougat.
    05-03-2017 01:57 PM
    During the day time, I do not see a difference.
    During the night (Doze) Nougat uses more than double what Marshmallow was using.
    Android M was using around 4% and now it uses 8-10
    Last night usage (12am - 7am)
    Screen 2%
    Android OS 2%
    Phone idle 2%
    Google Services 2%
    Sometimes one or two of these will use up to 3%, but previously these were using 1% only.
    Have you factory reset since getting the update? It is often recommended, but there is one frustrated user on XDA who is part of the soak test and said they cannot perform a reset, no way to accept T&C in the setup wizard and his device has been bricked for 8 days and Moto is not helping.

Not recommending you do this, although normally I would because Nougat doze battery should be much better than Marshmallow, but it could be problematic.
    05-03-2017 03:17 PM

[/URL]
    But your phone still needs to be on, connected to a wifi network and 60% or more charged to receive the notification..right?
    05-03-2017 04:40 PM
    Have you factory reset since getting the update? It is often recommended, but there is one frustrated user on XDA who is part of the soak test and said they cannot perform a reset, no way to accept T&C in the setup wizard and his device has been bricked for 8 days and Moto is not helping.

Not recommending you do this, although normally I would because Nougat doze battery should be much better than Marshmallow, but it could be problematic.
    Since my device is stable, I do not have plans to mess with it.
    That guy at XDA was arguing with me, because I got the Nougat update without joining the soak test.
    He was calling me a liar, when I posted that my Moto X Pure got the update.
    He was saying it was not possible unless I was in the soak test.
    Now I see why he was so upset.
    I have been in previous soak test but I was not invited to this one.
    Now I think they might have sent the Nougat update to my phone by mistake.
    05-03-2017 04:41 PM
    Since my device is stable, I do not have plans to mess with it.
    That guy at XDA was arguing with me, because I got the Nougat update without joining the soak test.
    He was calling me a liar, when I posted that my Moto X Pure got the update.
    He was saying it was not possible unless I was in the soak test.
    Now I see why he was so upset.
    I have been in previous soak test but I was not invited to this one.
    Now I think they might have sent the Nougat update to my phone by mistake.
    Yes they did... You have the soak build, not the official OTA....
    Just like the other guys told you...
    05-03-2017 07:48 PM
    But your phone still needs to be on, connected to a wifi network and 60% or more charged to receive the notification..right?
    No, not to receive the notification. It will receive it it regardless of the conditions, but it won't download/apply it without those things.
    itic likes this.
    05-03-2017 08:38 PM
115 12345