LG K10 photos unrecognizable on MicroSD card

orangeman138

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
broke my screen on LG K10 and switched to a Motorola X Pure Edition. all photos and videos on the microSD are now unviewable despite jpeg format on photos and mp4 format for video. I got an error message about a "codec" being different... are these photos/videos recoverable and if so, how?!

thx!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Insert the SD card into your computer and copy the files there. Are they viewable on the computer?

orangeman138

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy, I did try the computer first. should have mentioned that in my initial post. no luck. i fished the smashed phone out of the garbage, rebooted it and put the sd card back in. was able to extract all photos/videos to my laptop. Doesn't make sense to me though. I know formatting it for internal use on the K10 makes it potentially unusable by other devices... but then why would transferring them only from the K10 to my laptop allow them to be seen the computer? Stands to reason any transfer from any phone while in jpeg and mp4 format would have allowed them to be seen on my laptop if not on my new phone. or that putting the sd card in the cpu directly would have allowed for them to be seen. strange... but at least I managed to save everything. Thx for the help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you salvaged them! So you formatted the card as Internal Storage (as opposed to Portable Storage)? I thought LG didn't support that. But if you did, then that encrypts the card, such that it can only be read by the phone that formatted it. That would explain why your computer couldn't read the data when you inserted it there.