Piece of Crap

Tristan944

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
This phone has really turned into a piece of crap. By the end of the first year, I had to charge the battery 2-3 times per day and the phone was getting slower. Now about 1.5-2 years in, the battery has to be charged 3-4 times per day and the phone is constantly slow. Lots of wifi issues too. It's really disappointing and frustrating.

Anyone else with these issues?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
During the first year, were you routinely letting the battery drain to near zero before recharging, or did you usually start recharging when it got down to around 30%? (Frequent deep discharges can significantly shorten a battery's lifespan.)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My pure is over 1.5 years old and hasn't lost anything in the battery department......lasts exactly as long as new. No slowdowns or WiFi issues either.

I don't run the battery way down low then fast charge it all night..... and I don't run many apps on it, and clear the cache partition every month or so. Overall this phone has been great except for the typical marshmallow Bluetooth issues from new...... I'm hoping nougat will fix that. Otherwise I would buy another pure in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone ;-)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This phone has really turned into a piece of crap. By the end of the first year, I had to charge the battery 2-3 times per day and the phone was getting slower. Now about 1.5-2 years in, the battery has to be charged 3-4 times per day and the phone is constantly slow. Lots of wifi issues too. It's really disappointing and frustrating.

Have you tried installing GSAM Battery Monitor or another tool to see what is taking up the battery?

When is the last time you did a cache wipe, or a full factory reset? I usually recommend a cache wipe every 2-3 months, and a full factory reset at least once a year, and after any major upgrade.

beandaddy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
battery charging theories are all over these sites. in the past few weeks I've read to put them on the charger at any opportunity. keep it charged BETWEEN %20 - 80. (as if I'd yank the plug at %79). don't use wireless charging too much. drain the battery completely. never drain it completely.
I've concluded these theories are pulled out of people's pockets and people, without any valid reference material, are just typing to make them feel something.
the mxpe was ok, and just ok, for 12 months. thus it was neither a "bargain" nor a "flagship"

Last edited:

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Mine is about 2 years old now, and the battery is really the only issue. There is no lag, and just the occasional hiccup. I'd change the battery out on mine, but it appears to be a painstaking process, and the battery isn't cheap, so I've decided to just wait it out and replace this phone in the next several months. This is my first Moto product, and I've enjoyed it and it's features, but updates are important to me, so I doubt I'll buy Moto again...

For your issues, I would do a factory reset and see if you get better results...

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine is about 2 years old and while the battery doesn't last as ling as it used to, it still gets me through most work days just fine. I've never let it dip below 40% if that matters though. It's been a great phone - so good I didn't replace it in a year like I usually do.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

If you want my advice just dump the phone if you can afford to. I had a 2015 X Pure and, in my case, the battery was ALWAYS a problem. The device is just trying to push too many pixels...with too big a screen...for a 3000 mAh battery.

I loved everything else about it. But without good battery life what else is there that matters?

Again, if your financial situation can absorb the transition, grab a 2016 Z Play. You *won't* be disappointed.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on 12 October 2015. It was fine until 15 April 2016, then it overheated and died completely whilst I was watching YouTube. I sent it back but got a bricked refurbished unit, since Moto failed to remove the previous owner's Google account prior to FDR. I sent that unit back and finally received a working unit, which was fine until a couple weeks ago.

Then mine started overheating, rapidly draining the battery, WiFi stopped working, and the device randomly rebooted multiple times a day.

I've since replaced it with a new LG V20, which is what I'm using now.

snappedandgotapre

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I got mine on 12 October 2015. It was fine until 15 April 2016, then it overheated and died completely whilst I was watching YouTube. I sent it back but got a bricked refurbished unit, since Moto failed to remove the previous owner's Google account prior to FDR. I sent that unit back and finally received a working unit, which was fine until a couple weeks ago.

Then mine started overheating, rapidly draining the battery, WiFi stopped working, and the device randomly rebooted multiple times a day.

How do you like your v20? I have a XPE, and I'm looking for a replacement. A few bugs are beginning to pop up!

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

This is EXACTLY what my phone is doing. Husband's too. Missing phone calls, won't connect or stay connected, everything. I was hoping the phone would make it a bit longer, but we'll see.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
How do you like your v20? I have a XPE, and I'm looking for a replacement. A few bugs are beginning to pop up!
I'm enjoying the V20. I'm not having any of those problems, especially with WiFi and Bluetooth. I set up the V20 with my car's head unit, and it connects as soon as I start the car.

I also like that I'm able to swap batteries easily.

Tristan944

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes this is what mine is doing too. Rebooting, wifi issues, have to charge phone 3-5 times a day, slow, etc. I haven't reinstalled in a while, kind of don't want to because of the hassle. But I guess putting up with the phone acting up is probably more of a hassle.

I'd like to swap batteries but don't know how. Worth it? Recommendations?

goodenough

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine works great in Sept 2018.
I replaced the battery for $20
Battery lasts for 2 days again.

Also, you might have a rogue app.
Figure out what is not sleeping and hogging CPU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21