Hi all,

When I try to take a picture, I get this message: "Camera Error Please restart camera"

I went into Settings>Apps>Camera then force stop. Rebooted the phone, no change. So then I tried a soft reset (not sure if that's the correct term?) to clear the cache partition. No change.

It's very frustrating. Anyone experience this or heard of it and have any tips on what to try other than what I've already done?

Thanks.
    10-30-2017 01:49 PM
    Have you already tried clearing data for the camera app and then restart the phone? Also, are you using an SD card?
    manhattan123 likes this.
    10-30-2017 01:53 PM
    Hi Javier,

Yes, I cleared data for the app, no change.
    I am using an SD card. Could that be the problem?
    10-30-2017 02:09 PM
    Hi Javier,

Yes, I cleared data for the app, no change.
    I am using an SD card. Could that be the problem?
    It could be, sometimes this kind of problem can be caused by a faulty card. If you have the card set as external storage remove it temporarily and see if the problem persists.
    manhattan123 likes this.
    10-30-2017 02:13 PM
    Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot. I think I have it set for external. (If that's where the card can be used in another device?)
    10-30-2017 02:17 PM
    Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot. I think I have it set for external. (If that's where the card can be used in another device?)
    Yes, that's right.
    manhattan123 likes this.
    10-30-2017 02:20 PM
    Hi Javier,

I took out the SD card but no change. Still the same camera error without a card in.

I even put the card in another phone to see if it would do anything, and the camera worked fine in the second phone.

I guess it could be a hardware issue? And, of course, my two-year MotoCare protection expired last month. I think I'm screwed.
    10-30-2017 02:33 PM
    Hi Javier,

I took out the SD card but no change. Still the same camera error without a card in.

I even put the card in another phone to see if it would do anything, and the camera worked fine in the second phone.

I guess it could be a hardware issue? And, of course, my two-year MotoCare protection expired last month. I think I'm screwed.
    Big chance it's a hardware issue. Just in case you could try a couple more things. Download a third party camera from the Play Store and see what happens.

Also, I remember reading in the Brazilian Goggle+ community for the X Play about a trick that worked for some users. They removed the back of the phone and pushed the camera module a bit. Maybe some bad contact, who knows.
    manhattan123 likes this.
    10-30-2017 03:15 PM
    Ugh. Just tried a few third party apps (Instagram, Retrica, even Google's own camera). All said Cannot connect to camera. It must be hardware.

I guess this is the phone gods telling me it's time to move on from the Moto X Pure. Shame, I liked the phone a lot and never really had any problems until now.

I've had 4 Motos now over the years - the original gangster Droid, the Droid Bionic, the Original Moto X and now the X Pure. But their new lineup isn't doing it for me. I'm going to check out the Samsung Galaxy S8+. I can live without a camera for a little bit (although I do like taking pics) until I figure what to do.

Thanks so much for your help and tips, Javier! Cheers
    Javier P likes this.
    10-30-2017 03:33 PM