On a Moto X Pure, how do I store pictures in the SD card?

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
I have seen references to activating the Camera function, then swiping from left to right to bring out the function wheel. I do that, and I think there is supposed to appear a "SD Card" icon, but it does not appear.
Similarly, I activate Settings/Storage/SanDisk SD card, and I see no option to store photos on that card, rather than on internal storage.
I suspect that what has failed is that the software has changed, and so old descriptions of how to do things are no longer valid.

Acejavelin: I see your reply, but the screen gives me no option to reply to it. Thus, to reply I must edit my original question. My phone goes through Republic Wireless. I am not aware that the phone was "rooted". The SD card was/is formatted to be portable storage, not internal storage.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have seen references to activating the Camera function, then swiping from left to right to bring out the function wheel. I do that, and I think there is supposed to appear a "SD Card" icon, but it does not appear.
Similarly, I activate Settings/Storage/SanDisk SD card, and I see no option to store photos on that card, rather than on internal storage.
I suspect that what has failed is that the software has changed, and so old descriptions of how to do things are no longer valid.
Is your card adopted or external storage? If internal, you can't, if external it should work.

Otherwise, are you stock and unrooted? I've only ever heard of this on rooted devices or custom ROM. The fix in this case is:

How to - Provide WRITE PERMISSION on sd card for apps on Android Marshmallow

1. Backup File - packages.xml in /data/system folder
2. Open File - in QuickEdit app
3. Search - for app name
4. Paste - <item name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" granted="true" flags="0" /> in/after <perms> tag
5. Save - by pressing back twice and confirming Yes(Grant Root permission if asks)
6 Reboot - ur done.

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Now I see a way to reply to your comment. I think my phone is "stock and unrootted".
I REALLY do not understand your solution!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Which camera app version do you have? This is what I have on my old X Play. You need to slide the wheel up to get that option.

IMG-20180619-WA0001.jpg

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
"Which camera app version do you have?"

I don't know how to learn this. I bring up the Camera app, but I see no option to find the version.

" This is what I have on my old X Play. You need to slide the wheel up to get that option."

I cannot see any such SD-card icon, no matter how I spin the wheel. It is simply not there.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
"Which camera app version do you have?"

I don't know how to learn this. I bring up the Camera app, but I see no option to find the version.

" This is what I have on my old X Play. You need to slide the wheel up to get that option."

I cannot see any such SD-card icon, no matter how I spin the wheel. It is simply not there.
The solution I gave is for a rooted device, if you don't know then your not and my solution is invalid for your circumstances.

I would suggest going to Settings, Storage, and tell us does your SD card appear under Device Storage or Portable Storage? Attached is a picture showing "Portable Storage" does your card appear there or in the upper section? You can only set the SD card as storage if it is Portable Storage, if it's Internal or Adopted storage you cannot select it in the camera app.

23835bc9f15de6ccad9dee9b87577464.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Strange. Try this, go to settings - apps - select Camera and you can see the version there. Also, select 'Permissions' and confirm that everything is checked. What do you see under 'Advanced'?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You can also try this, go to settings - apps - Camera - Storage - Clear data and then restart the phone.

After this take a screenshot of the camera wheel after sliding it up to see which options you get.

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
"I would suggest going to Settings, Storage, and tell us does your SD card appear under Device Storage or Portable Storage?"

Yes, my card appears, saying "SanDisk SD card. 8.22 GB used of 117 GB"

" Attached is a picture showing "Portable Storage" does your card appear there or in the upper section?
"
There is no text saying "Portable storage" Above the referenc to "SanDiskSD card" is "Internal shared storage 14.43 GB used of 53.18 GB"

I would not have formatted the SD card as "internal storage".

"You can only set the SD card as storage if it is Portable Storage, if it's Internal or Adopted storage you cannot select it in the camera app."

As far as I can tell, it is portable storage, even though the words "Portable storage" do not appear on the "Storage Settings" screen.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
"I would suggest going to Settings, Storage, and tell us does your SD card appear under Device Storage or Portable Storage?"

Yes, my card appears, saying "SanDisk SD card. 8.22 GB used of 117 GB"

" Attached is a picture showing "Portable Storage" does your card appear there or in the upper section?
"
There is no text saying "Portable storage" Above the referenc to "SanDiskSD card" is "Internal shared storage 14.43 GB used of 53.18 GB"

I would not have formatted the SD card as "internal storage".

"You can only set the SD card as storage if it is Portable Storage, if it's Internal or Adopted storage you cannot select it in the camera app."

As far as I can tell, it is portable storage, even though the words "Portable storage" do not appear on the "Storage Settings" screen.
Can you screenshot and attach to this thread or link to imgur or similar site?

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
"Can you screenshot and attach to this thread or link to imgur or similar site?"

I'd like to do that, IF I knew how. The complete lack of a user manual for my Moto X Pure phone makes this difficult, however.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
"Can you screenshot and attach to this thread or link to imgur or similar site?"

I'd like to do that, IF I knew how. The complete lack of a user manual for my Moto X Pure phone makes this difficult, however.
Moto is nearly pure Android, the standard key combo of Power+VolDn works. Unfortunately Moto devices like most other phones do not have very good documentation.

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
That makes a screenshot and places it into my phone.
How to I post it? Currently, I am typing this into my laptop, not my phone.

However, I don't see how taking a screenshot would help. Unless you don't believe me that the SD Card icon doesn't appear when I rotate the Camera function control wheel.
It's quite simple: The SD Card icon DOESN'T APPEAR. Period.
Just found the Camera App version number: 5.1.31

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That makes a screenshot and places it into my phone.
How to I post it? Currently, I am typing this into my laptop, not my phone.

However, I don't see how taking a screenshot would help. Unless you don't believe me that the SD Card icon doesn't appear when I rotate the Camera function control wheel.
It's quite simple: The SD Card icon DOESN'T APPEAR. Period.

Also, you haven't explained how I can find the Camera app version number.

I'm not questioning your honesty or that the icon isn't there... I am technician by trade in a very technical industry, and when something doesn't make sense I tend to absolutely verify things to either confirm or eliminate eliminate them entirely, I meant no disrespect. I was looking for a screenshot of system Settings - Storage, not the camera app settings.

The picture could be posted directly from your phone in the web browser, or via an app such as Tapatalk, a app specifically intended for participating in forums. You could email the photo to yourself or post it via a picture hosting service. If are actively backing up your photos in Google Photo to your Google account, which I strongly recommend everyone do, it should be available to any device you own in photos.google.com or the Google Photo app.

The camera version can be found in Settings - Apps then find Camera and select it, the version should be at the top of that page.

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
After I posted the above comment, I found the reference to the Camera APP number: 5.1.31 I will further respond to the rest of what you said, in a moment.

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
"I was looking for a screenshot of system Settings - Storage, not the camera app settings."

I'd like for you to see it. And I would, if I understood how to do so.

"The picture could be posted directly from your phone in the web browser,"

But right now, I am typing at this "Androidcentral" website. On my laptop computer. NOT my phone. Am I supposed to know how to place the screenshot so that you can read it?

" or via an app such as Tapatalk, a app specifically intended for participating in forums."

Now, you are REALLY confusing me!

" You could email the photo to yourself or post it via a picture hosting service. If are actively backing up your photos in Google Photo to your Google account, which I strongly recommend everyone do, it should be available to any device you own in photos.google.com or the Google Photo app."

Yes, as far as I know, my phone is backing up my photos to my Google account. But you refer to "any device own", which I assume must include my laptop. How am I supposed to access a screenshot on my laptop computer? I will try photos.google.com on the web.
But I have to ask: How am I supposed to learn how to do his, OTHER THAN posting my question here? VERY POOR DOCUMENTATION!!!

"The camera version can be found in Settings - Apps then find Camera and select it, the version should be at the top of that page."

5.1.31 is the version number.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with acejavelin. Of course we are not questioning your honesty, we are just trying to figure out what the problem could be. The screenshots are very helpful to see if there's something unusual in there when comparing with other devices. If there is that could be a clue to solve the problem, if not then we'll move on to different possibilities.

About the version. My X Play is running the 5.1.32 version, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just in case confirm that there is not an update for the camera app pending on the Play Store. You can see this from that same screen (settings - apps - camera - app details).

We are trying to cover the most usual causes for this kind of problem:

- Custom ROM. Unlikely according to your answers.

- SD card defined as internal/adoptable storage (screenshot would be very helpful to rule this completely out).

- Outdated app (see above).

- Something stuck in the camera app and/or the phone system (clear data for the camera app and power off & back on).

- Failing SD card. See if it works properly from different apps.

jim887

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Ever since I've been trying to do what you people ask, my computer has been NOT WORKING RIGHT!

"About the version. My X Play is running the 5.1.32 version, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just in case confirm that there is not an update for the camera app pending on the Play Store. You can see this from that same screen (settings - apps - camera - app details)."

I do not see any indication which tells me from the "app details" screen that there is an update. But I will try that anyway.

Well, I "opened" it, but I saw no indication that there was a new version available. "Auto-update" was enabled.

"We are trying to cover the most usual causes for this kind of problem:"

"- Custom ROM. Unlikely according to your answers."

If it is really a "ROM" (read only memory), it couldn't be changed anyway. Right?

"- SD card defined as internal/adoptable storage (screenshot would be very helpful to rule this completely out)."

I tried accessing photos.google.com on my laptop, and it showed no option to see screenshots.

"- Outdated app (see above)."

Don't see how. 5.1.31

"- Something stuck in the camera app and/or the phone system (clear data for the camera app"

How do I "clear data for camera app"?

"and power off & back on)."

Do you mean, reboot the phone?

"- Failing SD card. See if it's work properly from different apps."

I don't know how to do that. Is there some sort of program to test the function of the SD card?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I tried accessing photos.google.com on my laptop, and it showed no option to see screenshots.

That's probably because your screenshot folder is not being synced in Google photos. Try this, open Google photos in your phone - open the side menu (hamburger icon to left) - settings - backup & sync - backup device folders - enable 'screenshots'.

You can also sync only one file (screenshot) after you long press it or share it via email, as acejavelin said.

How do I "clear data for camera app"?

Settings - apps - Camera - Storage - Clear data.

Do you mean, reboot the phone?

Yes.

don't know how to do that. Is there some sort of program to test the function of the SD card?

Open any media file that is saved on the card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2