Does Rooting a Moto Maker Moto X Void the Warranty?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Umm, yup there is. On the Motorola website forums, there is a discussion on right now about this.

You do realize the post from me that you quoted is almost 2 months old? At the time, there was no definite answer.

Good to know there is now.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Yup, did not mean any offense or direct contradiction, just intending it as an informational thing before someone read it and then found they had no warranty left. :)

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Only the Dev version can be unlocked without voiding the warranty. I seriously doubt that the phone can be rooted without unlocking it so that pretty much ensures the warranty is over unless it is the Dev version. Which, not tying to sound too smug, I have ordered and is "out for delivery!" today :)

While the conversation is here, the T-Mobile version comes with the bootloader unlocked...right? Or is it just the SIM?

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
While the conversation is here, the T-Mobile version comes with the bootloader unlocked...right? Or is it just the SIM?
I don't think any of the models come with the bootloader unlocked. Some models (including all the Dev editions and the T-Mobile version) are unlockable, but for the non-Dev edition versions you are voiding your warranty by requesting the unlock code from Motorola.

Josh Meade1

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
It is almost garunteed that rooting your phone voids the warranty boot loader unlocked or not. If you break your phone phone or total it, I recommend that you keep it and say it got lost.

Posted via Android Central App

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
It is almost garunteed that rooting your phone voids the warranty boot loader unlocked or not. If you break your phone phone or total it, I recommend that you keep it and say it got lost.

Only reason to say "it got lost" is if you are submitting an insurance claim to get it replaced, in which case this would be fraud.

If you screw your phone up and its not covered just buy a new one. If you can't afford to buy a new one.. don't risk it and don't root.

That being said, I realize this thread is old... but... to answer the OP's question.

Unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty on all but Developer Edition Moto X's. There are 3 states the Bootloader on the X can be in. Locked, Unlocked, and RELocked. We can only toggle between Unlocked and Relocked, we can not set it back to locked. This status is visible on the fastboot/bootloader screen.

Rooting the phone can be seen as altering it from the manufacturer's specifications. And altering from MFG's specs voids the warranty (according to the papers that came with my X).

Rooting using something like SlapMyMoto, etc. can be undone via flashing your phone with the SBF/ROM for your phone. 4.4.2 will also undo the changes made by MotoWpNoMo (which was initially thought to be permanent). BUT the carriers can still tell if you ever rooted depending their preloaded software (example: VZProtect on Verizon does report back to their systems if you are rooted).

One other thing to consider is the CARRIER's Terms of Service which may supersede the manufacturer's warranty, if you try and deal with the carrier for warranty issues.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

As a reminder we don't discuss about illegal activities. Please review the forum rules linked to in my signature

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12