Does Rooting a Moto Maker Moto X Void the Warranty?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
SIM unlock a phone does not void warranty (but maybe illegal in US if you didn't get the permission from carrier).

Rooting any phone voids warranty but in most cases, warranty service center may not care or know how to check.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
SIM unlock a phone does not void warranty (but maybe illegal in US if you didn't get the permission from carrier).
I meant unlocking the bootloader.

Rooting any phone voids warranty but in most cases, warranty service center may not care or know how to check.
I don't think that is true for the Moto X developer editions. I am asking if it is true for the Moto Maker Moto X's.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
but it does void the warranty to root unless it is a dev ed?

I don't think there is a definite answer. I personally assume it does void the warranty because Moto has gone out of its way to make clear it does not void dev ed warranty but has said nothing about the tmobile version, so I'm assuming unlocked boot loader = void.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Rooting and unlocking the bootloader are two different things.

When you unlock your bootloader Moto expressly tells you that your warranty is void. You have to put in an unlock code specific to your phone. I'm guessing Moto keeps track of this.

I agree completely that merely unlocking a bootloader should not void warranty. But Motorola has expressly stated that it disagrees, unless you have a dev edition.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It's a root counter. I could be wrong but I believe 0/0 is never rooted, 1/1 is rooted and 0/1 is not rooted but has been before. Something like that
Thanks, can I access the root counter if I am rooted but locked bootloader?

- - - Updated - - -

It's possible to change or edit the qe status. Instructions for that are at XDA.

do you have to have an unlocked bootloader to do that?

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
but it does void the warranty to root unless it is a dev ed?

Officially yes. It absolutely voids the warranty but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has actually had a warranty denied by any manufacturer because they where rooted. Moto provides stock recoveries for all their phones now so it shouldn't matter anyways. If you break it so bad thay you can't flash a recovery their not going to know it anyways. If you want root why didn't you just buy a developer edition. The steps for rooting the maker phones is not for the faint of heart. People are already selling replacement backs and buttons/bezels so its pretty easy to customize it yourself and a lot less risky than the instructions for getting root.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can always flash the stock firmware and take it back to 100 percent stock.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
In order to unlock the bootloader you have to go through Motorola, so flashing back to stock doesn't matter, they already know.

As for rooting, the devs who made root on XDA also state you will lose warranty. I guess if you haven't unlock the bootloader and can somehow unroot the phone without leaving a trace, then maybe it's okay.

I am not sure about able to flash a factory image to the MotoX without having to unlock the bootloader. I have more experience with Nexus device, you have to unlock the bootloader first, since Moto X use fastboot method to flash as well, I'm assuming it's the same.

The safest bet is to only root with dev version, unless you want to lose your warranty.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there is a definite answer.

Umm, yup there is. On the Motorola website forums, there is a discussion on right now about this.

Only the Dev version can be unlocked without voiding the warranty. I seriously doubt that the phone can be rooted without unlocking it so that pretty much ensures the warranty is over unless it is the Dev version. Which, not tying to sound too smug, I have ordered and is "out for delivery!" today :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463