06-17-2017 09:08 AM
104 1234 ...
tools
    I wish I wasn't locked into at&t contract or I would consider that metro Pcs plan. I could save $40 a month

Posted via Android Central App
    03-29-2014 05:36 PM
    Tethering is working great on my gsm unlocked on at&t

Yup, this was such a nice unexpected benefit with the unlocked moto x coming from my S4 and having to use foxFi to get free tethering. I'm writing this post on my iPad Air tethered to my moto x from a discount tire for free. This phone is fantastic!
    03-31-2014 03:18 PM
    Even when you go over the data cap?

Not really sure what you mean, but I have the 30 a month plan with "unlimited" (5gb high speed) data and before I used this method it would pop up the T-Mobile page. Now it works fine, and I've used probably 500mb per month tethering.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    03-31-2014 05:55 PM
    so i edited my apn on the phone. now my comp is now all set. however, im still running into all types of roadblocks on my samsung (tab 3) tablet. any suggestions or am i missing something here?

lol wow, i went into the setting on my tablet and noticed they were set to 2012. i changed them and instantly noticed play store started to update everything. low and behold netflix works now too!
    03-31-2014 11:24 PM
    Any idea whether your plan affects this? I'm planning on getting an unlocked Moto X and using the $30/month plan, and I really want to be able to tether my Nexus 7 to it. Also, is this Wifi tethering, Bluetooth tethering, or both?
    04-01-2014 03:13 PM
    Any idea whether your plan affects this? I'm planning on getting an unlocked Moto X and using the $30/month plan, and I really want to be able to tether my Nexus 7 to it. Also, is this Wifi tethering, Bluetooth tethering, or both?
    The $30 a month plan is great! And tethering works fine as far as I can tell. I've only tried the WiFi, not Bluetooth, but I'd imagine it would work just the same.

04-01-2014 04:30 PM
    Any idea whether your plan affects this? I'm planning on getting an unlocked Moto X and using the $30/month plan, and I really want to be able to tether my Nexus 7 to it.
    Tethering is controlled by the carrier and their information on the SIM installed.

Check you can Tether before signing up.
    04-01-2014 05:41 PM
    plan with "unlimited" (5gb high speed) data and before I used this method it would pop up the T-Mobile page. Now it works fine, and I've used probably 500mb per month tethering.
    OK, a few things here.
    1:
    Read the fine print for your "unlimited" data and I am pretty sure you will see 2GB and then it drops to 2G or EDGE.
    2:
    That should be "(5mb high speed)"
    3:
    500mb of Tethering is nothing, we are currently running at 90+GB, yup, Giga, now that's what you call unlimited and it costs us 60-bucks.
    4:
    Check with the provider that you can roam with data and Tethering. My guess is not.
    5:
    Fine print is always mandatory reading.
    04-01-2014 05:47 PM
    Uhm my buddy has sprint he doesn't have any restrictions on his tethering.
    That would be a grandfathered account. Sprint stopped offering that in late December 2013, I think it was.
    04-01-2014 05:49 PM
    OK, a few things here.
    1: Read the fine print for your "unlimited" data and I am pretty sure you will see 2GB and then it drops to 2G or EDGE.
    2: That should be "(5mb high speed)"
    3: 500mb of Tethering is nothing, we are currently running at 90+GB, yup, Giga, now that's what you call unlimited and it costs us 60-bucks.
    4: Check with the provider that you can roam with data and Tethering. My guess is not.
    5: Fine print is always mandatory reading.
    I'm aware that it drops to edge after 5gb. I've never gone over though, and it is referred to by T-Mobile as unlimited data (though throttled eventually) hence why I called it "unlimited". And for me 500mb of tethering is pretty much good for a fair amount of web browsing and some Netflix. There's a lot of WiFi around here... I can't even imagine using 90gb! Also, on the $30 prepaid plan, I am fairly sure there is no data roaming.

04-01-2014 06:25 PM
    Check you can Tether before signing up.
    That's what this thread is about. Tethering without it being shut off, which is what will happen if you don't use the APN method.

04-01-2014 06:30 PM
    That would be a grandfathered account. Sprint stopped offering that in late December 2013, I think it was.
    Yea I checked with him he definitely has a grandfathered plan.

04-01-2014 07:31 PM
    That's what this thread is about. Tethering without it being shut off, which is what will happen if you don't use the APN method.

Mine got shut off even with using the APN edit. I'm going to try it again this month but last month they cut me off.

04-01-2014 07:33 PM
    Mine got shut off even with using the APN edit. I'm going to try it again this month but last month they cut me off.

Hmm. I was worried about that. I usually use a user agent switcher plugin in chrome and set it to an android phone, so they see the data coming from a phone and not a computer which is pretty obviously tethering. I don't know if it actually works though.

04-01-2014 07:35 PM
    So if I understand this correctly, I add Dun to my APN, then I don't need an app to tether, I simply got to settings/wireless networks/more/tethering and portable hotspots and then activate tethering from there. I am on AIO wireless with an AT&T branded unlocked phone, I know a few said they got it working on an unlocked AT&T device, just curious. Or would I need to install FoxFi for wireless tethering, rather then USB tethering.
    04-01-2014 09:41 PM
    Hmm. I was worried about that. I usually use a user agent switcher plugin in chrome and set it to an android phone, so they see the data coming from a phone and not a computer which is pretty obviously tethering. I don't know if it actually works though.
    How would I go about getting the switcher? Also if use my tablet would I need to do anything special?

04-01-2014 11:07 PM
    How would I go about getting the switcher? Also if use my tablet would I need to do anything special?

I don't know about tablets, but for your computer go to the web store for whatever browser you use and search for user agent switcher plugin. It's not very convenient though, as it does switch the websites to their mobile version. Another option is a VPN, which encrypts all data so it is impossible to tell which device its coming from.

04-01-2014 11:53 PM
    So if I understand this correctly, I add Dun to my APN, then I don't need an app to tether, I simply got to settings/wireless networks/more/tethering and portable hotspots and then activate tethering from there. I am on AIO wireless with an AT&T branded unlocked phone, I know a few said they got it working on an unlocked AT&T device, just curious. Or would I need to install FoxFi for wireless tethering, rather then USB tethering.
    Yep, you can try using the dun method and then activating the native tether. For T-Mobile you don't need any other apps, but you'll just have to see if it works on at&t.

04-01-2014 11:56 PM
    Yup, this was such a nice unexpected benefit with the unlocked moto x coming from my S4 and having to use foxFi to get free tethering. I'm writing this post on my iPad Air tethered to my moto x from a discount tire for free. This phone is fantastic!
    Other then adding DUN to apn, it there a process to activate the tether feature, is there an native app to do so ??
    04-03-2014 08:12 AM
    Other then adding DUN to apn, it there a process to activate the tether feature, is there an native app to do so ??
    Settings ---> More ---> Tethering & portable hotspot.

04-03-2014 09:17 AM
    Settings ---> More ---> Tethering & portable hotspot.

What am I check marking, potrable wifi hotspot ?? to be able to tether. And do I check mark only when I want to tether, it there and on/off button
    04-03-2014 11:59 AM
    What am I check marking, potrable wifi hotspot ?? to be able to tether. And do I check mark only when I want to tether, it there and on/off button
    You need to first set up the tethering Access Point, (AP) with "Set up Wifi hotspot," and define it's SSID and password. Then check "Portable wifi hotspot"

If neither of those options are visible then your SIM is blocking Tethering.
    04-03-2014 12:09 PM
    You need to first set up the tethering Access Point, (AP) with "Set up Wifi hotspot," and define it's SSID and password. Then check "Portable wifi hotspot"

If neither of those options are visible then your SIM is blocking Tethering.
    Yep I did set it up, and tried it without setting up the APN to add Dun, I will try that later, and did turn WiFi and made sire I was on 4 G, and when I went to activate here is the message I got, remember I'm on AIO wireless.

But I wanted to try without changing the APN for now to see, will report with the Dun added.

Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT-wifi-hotspot-info.png
    04-03-2014 12:20 PM
    Didn't work with Dun added, if anyone is on AIO and got tether working, please advise.

I can try FoxFi later on today if I get a chance
    04-03-2014 12:29 PM
    Didn't work with Dun added, if anyone is on AIO and got tether working, please advise.

I can try FoxFi later on today if I get a chance
    seconded. I'm on AIO also and would like to know. Although I would be wary about hitting my 2.5GB data limit quickly if I tethered.
    04-03-2014 12:53 PM
104 1234 ...