Unrestricted Tether T-Mobile NO ROOT

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I was worried about that. I usually use a user agent switcher plugin in chrome and set it to an android phone, so they see the data coming from a phone and not a computer which is pretty obviously tethering. I don't know if it actually works though.
Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

How would I go about getting the switcher? Also if use my tablet would I need to do anything special?

Posted via Android Central App

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
How would I go about getting the switcher? Also if use my tablet would I need to do anything special?

I don't know about tablets, but for your computer go to the web store for whatever browser you use and search for user agent switcher plugin. It's not very convenient though, as it does switch the websites to their mobile version. Another option is a VPN, which encrypts all data so it is impossible to tell which device its coming from.

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
So if I understand this correctly, I add Dun to my APN, then I don't need an app to tether, I simply got to settings/wireless networks/more/tethering and portable hotspots and then activate tethering from there. I am on AIO wireless with an AT&T branded unlocked phone, I know a few said they got it working on an unlocked AT&T device, just curious. Or would I need to install FoxFi for wireless tethering, rather then USB tethering.

Yep, you can try using the dun method and then activating the native tether. For T-Mobile you don't need any other apps, but you'll just have to see if it works on at&t.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yup, this was such a nice unexpected benefit with the unlocked moto x coming from my S4 and having to use foxFi to get free tethering. I'm writing this post on my iPad Air tethered to my moto x from a discount tire for free. This phone is fantastic!

Other then adding DUN to apn, it there a process to activate the tether feature, is there an native app to do so ??

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
What am I check marking, potrable wifi hotspot ?? to be able to tether. And do I check mark only when I want to tether, it there and on/off button

You need to first set up the tethering Access Point, (AP) with "Set up Wifi hotspot," and define it's SSID and password. Then check "Portable wifi hotspot"

If neither of those options are visible then your SIM is blocking Tethering.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You need to first set up the tethering Access Point, (AP) with "Set up Wifi hotspot," and define it's SSID and password. Then check "Portable wifi hotspot"

If neither of those options are visible then your SIM is blocking Tethering.

Yep I did set it up, and tried it without setting up the APN to add Dun, I will try that later, and did turn WiFi and made sire I was on 4 G, and when I went to activate here is the message I got, remember I'm on AIO wireless.

But I wanted to try without changing the APN for now to see, will report with the Dun added.

WiFi Hotspot info.png

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Didn't work with Dun added, if anyone is on AIO and got tether working, please advise.

I can try FoxFi later on today if I get a chance

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Didn't work with Dun added, if anyone is on AIO and got tether working, please advise.

I can try FoxFi later on today if I get a chance

seconded. I'm on AIO also and would like to know. Although I would be wary about hitting my 2.5GB data limit quickly if I tethered.

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I've reviewed the terms and conditions for T-Mobile and they state that "Your Data Plan is intended for Web browsing, messaging, and similar activities on your Device and not on any other equipment. Except to the extent explicitly permitted by your Data Plan, other uses, including for example, using your Device as a modem or tethering your Device to a personal computer or other hardware, are not permitted." On T-Mobile's site it doesn't say that the $30 plan that I use includes tethering, so I would assume that doing so would be a violation, at least on my plan. However, when I check the T-Mobile app on my phone it says this:
Screenshot_2014-04-03-20-57-13.png
So there is a 100mb allotment for tethering on the $30 plan? Then would it not be a violation because this suggests that tethering is a part of my plan? (On a side note, I have no idea where they got that 51.9mb from. According to the data usage in Android's settings, I have used over 100.) Anyone else with the $30 plan have any idea what's going on here? I'd rather not get my service canceled, or worse my phone blacklisted, so I think just to be safe I will refrain from any tethering. And if your plan doesn't include tethering, be aware that using this APN method is at your own risk.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't get why if you have a 5gb data plan you can't choose to use it to tether if you want.

I get why you can't on unlimited.

Samuel Elizondo

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked AT&T S5 running on T-Mobile. When I go to edit APN my phone says APN not set.....so where would I add the",dun" to it if there is nothing in that line to add it to.... its empty. I have tethering allowed by TMo but cant get it to work.

Last edited:

Ashton Mcgowen

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Awesome!! Also works with MetroPCS whose GSM phones run on T-Mobile network. $60 unlimited LTE w/ tax and fees included and now tethering is there a better deal out there.

How did you accomplish this, I'm on the Samsung Galaxy S4 from metro and I cannot figure it out, I cannot change the settings.

ShlomoX

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
From xda thread:
Go to Settings-> "More..." (under Data Usage) -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names
Click the APN "T-Mobile US LTE", scroll down to "APN Type", click that, and add ",dun" to the end of the list (so the list should say "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota,dun") then hit okay. You should be set now!

Now that being said the info was for t mobile moto x (which is carrier unlocked) with stock 4.4.2...and it worked for me on metro...so not sure how any of these factors either alone or in combination may effect the outcome. Good luck.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried connecting a Xbox or PS3/4 to a tethered phone? And if so, how much data would be used in say an online game of Madden?

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Robert Alarcon

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 and when it comes to editing the APN it does not give me the option to do so. Can you post a youtube on how to change the APN on my device. Thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer