Moto X: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Why hasn't this been created yet. is it because of a lack of support? This phone came out 5+ months ago. Sorry if this is already discussed.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

I think its more the fact that there are many guides on XDA regarding the different ways of rooting for both locked and unlocked Bootloaders. No need to start a thread here when the only thing we will do is be linking to that site for the different tips, tricks, and FAQ's.

Posted via Android Central App

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I think its more the fact that there are many guides on XDA regarding the different ways of rooting for both locked and unlocked Bootloaders. No need to start a thread here when the only thing we will do is be linking to that site for the different tips, tricks, and FAQ's.

Posted via Android Central App

But....I don't like xda ):

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I would be more interested in a one-click Cyanogenmod link specifically for the X.

I spent three hours yesterday going through the manual process described on XDA, only to find I had more trouble at the end than when I started - and - I am a programmer! Fortunately my X is the Dev edition so no big deal reverting back to stock.

My experience over the past 18-months trying to root a Kindle Fire, Asus MeMo and now the X using XDA stuff is flaky at best.

Its is well intentioned, but the process is never described unambiguously and accurately for everyone to follow. It requires assumptions and knowledgeable or guessed tweaks along the way and that is a recipe for frustration and disaster even for folks with a good level of technical knowledge.

I will wait for a one-click Cyanogenmod rather than try any more XDA ramblings.

Just one old fart's opinion.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

You have to be much more careful flashing the Moto X compared to Nexus, people are bricking their devices by downgrading the phone then receiving the update or by flashing the wrong firmware from a different region for their Moto X. It is possible to hard brick this device. To be safe, once you updated to the latest version, stick with that version.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

I would be more interested in a one-click Cyanogenmod link specifically for the X.

I spent three hours yesterday going through the manual process described on XDA, only to find I had more trouble at the end than when I started - and - I am a programmer! Fortunately my X is the Dev edition so no big deal reverting back to stock.

My experience over the past 18-months trying to root a Kindle Fire, Asus MeMo and now the X using XDA stuff is flaky at best.

Its is well intentioned, but the process is never described unambiguously and accurately for everyone to follow. It requires assumptions and knowledgeable or guessed tweaks along the way and that is a recipe for frustration and disaster even for folks with a good level of technical knowledge.

Just one old fart's opinion.

If you have the dev edition you don't need an 'exploit' to root and were wasting time.

-Moto X-

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

I rooted my S3 and S4 using guides on xda. That maybe be different since they use Odin to flash instead of command line though. I've had my X about 2 weeks and so far I'm happy with it, I'm sure I'll at least root it eventually though.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

If you have the dev edition you don't need an 'exploit' to root and were wasting time.

Education is never a waste of time. What a sad old world it would be if we only ever did what didn't waste time. Baseball games, Football games, TV, movies - my list would be too long to continue here.

I saw a quote by an old sage somewhere, "there is no crime in not knowing, the crime is in not wanting to know!"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If you want it, make it.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Just curious...why would you want CM on this phone? Wouldn't that leave out features such as Active Display?

And I've never had problems rooting with the guides on XDA. You just have to do a fair amount of reading and research before you jump headfirst into it. I've rooted an HTC Hero, HTC Evo 3D, GNex, N4, S3, 2012 N7, 2013 N7 and have never run into any serious issues.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Is there a sub forum for Rooting, ROMS, and Hacks? I don't see them for any Motorola phones, not just the Moto X. I'm guessing there never was and its just a typo?

motox.jpg

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

why would you want CM on this phone?

I like to be in charge of what is running on my phone - and - I have already stopped Active Display, don't like it, don't need it. I don't care about instantly reading incoming emails and I do not do the social clap-trap. :)

You just have to do a fair amount of reading and research before you jump headfirst into it.

Ummm, I thought I made that point clear above, as a major stumbling block with XDA stuff. The whole reason I like the idea of one-click is because it is just one-click.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Rooting a Samsung phone using Odin can be easy. Motorola is a whole different story. Make sure you do careful reading before rooting and flashing. Also taking OTA update while rooted or downgrading your phone and taking OTA could also brick it. There are more ways to brick Motorola phone I've found out.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Why hasn't this been created yet. is it because of a lack of support? This phone came out 5+ months ago. Sorry if this is already discussed.

It comes down to demand. If the demand warrants it then we consider it.

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Here are the instructions on rooting an unlocked bootloader Moto X running either 4.4. or 4.4.2:

Rooting a Moto X with an Unlocked Bootloader

The basic steps after you unlock your bootloader are you flash a custom recovery and install a super user app. That is it.

When I get around to rooting my locked bootloader Moto X, I will summarize that. It is much more complicated.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Being a neophyte to the cell phone culture I don't understand the need for rooting.
I do understand the desire having extensive experience with desktop computer building/tweaking.
Maybe after I've had the X for a bit, then i'll consider other options.
For now: will keep it stock.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Being a neophyte to the cell phone culture I don't understand the need for rooting.
If you have an unlimited data plan on Verizon you need to root to WiFi tether. Another reason to root is to use ad blocking apps.

For me, the WiFi tether makes rooting a necessity.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Here are the instructions on rooting an unlocked bootloader Moto X running either 4.4. or 4.4.2:
The basic steps after you unlock your bootloader are you flash a custom recovery and install a super user app. That is it.

That's the link I had the trouble with, and unlocking the boot loader is only a tinny part of installing a different ROM. That's when it gets sticky.

BUT

Ask and ye shall receive. I found this, this morning...
Information: Motorola Moto X - Tmobile ("xt1053") - CyanogenMod

Woo Hooo! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad