Moto X: 4.4.2 root

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a dilemma. So I got a notif for the 4.4.2 install, and I've been wondering if I should root or not. I know theres not a method or 4.4.2, and their may not be, atleast for quite a while. I am a little worried about my warranty though. But I keep itching to mess with x-posed, and I titanium bckup for 1 or 2 things.
So should I root now then ota? or will ota not work, and I need to flash it instead?

Last edited by a moderator:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.4.2 root

I have not tried it, but if you already have root, then update the phone, two things could happen: Soft brick or root get erased.

It's easier to root if you unlock the bootloader, which will void the warranty. Then you can install custom recovery and flash SuperSU zip package to root.

I rooted my phone, but put it back to stock because the Moto X was running so well already. You could use Helium instead to backup which don't require root, you just have to connect it to the PC and let the PC Helium program activate the app each time you reboot the phone.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I have not tried it, but if you already have root, then update the phone, two things could happen: Soft brick or root get erased.
It's easier to root if you unlock the bootloader, which will void the warranty. Then you can install custom recovery and flash SuperSU zip package to root.
I rooted my phone, but put it back to stock because the Moto X was running so well already. You could use Helium instead to backup which don't require root, you just have to connect it to the PC and let the PC Helium program activate the app each time you reboot the phone.
Huh I heard that some were able to keep it without unlocking the bootloader. Though I dont know much about bootloaders in the first place. Why make stuff so hard moto, I just really like how motorola phones had Safestap.
Sad thing is Helium dosen't work on my Moto X where I want to get some of the app data off that. Not sure if it works on the moto x either.

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I got OTA 4.4.2. Two days ago, I decided to root. I unlocked the bootloader. I installed TWRP. Then I flashed SuperUser.

Then Xposed Framework. Then GravityBox. Then I am happy.

Edit: I have the T-Mobile version.

Last edited:

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I got OTA 4.4.2. Two days ago, I decided to root. I unlocked the bootloader. I installed TWRP. Then I flashed SuperUser.

You should clarify which version of the Moto X you have.

For the record: if you have a non-developer version of an AT&T or VZW variant > there currently is NO root available AFTER the 4.4.2 update. If you root prior to the 4.4.2 update (the steps included going back to 4.2 which you can do from 4.4 but not from 4.4.2), then most people have been able keep root through the update to 4.4.2 (although the system protection flag gets re-enabled so the value of root is lessened).

If you have 4.4 and root, and are on AT&T or VZW; and don't have a developer phone > make sure you consider carefully before updated to 4.4.2, and if you do decide to update, it would be valuable to purchase the SuperSU that includes extra provisions to preserve root through an update.

If you are on 4.4 and on AT&T or VZW, and don't have a developer phone, and don't have root yet > go thru the rooting process before updating!

Jax184

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I haven't rooted a phone since my Galaxy S, Fascinate, so forgive me, but what is the best/easiest root for Moto X, T-MO variant?

Edit: Running with OTA update to 4.4.2

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Yikes, sounds way to complicated just to goof around. Like I said I dont NEED root, sure it would be nice to have some of my game data. Guess I'll upgrade now! And if I need to later, unlocking the bootloader would make it rootable?

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Edit: I have the T-Mobile version.

I have the T-Mobile version as well and currently rooting as I type.

Edit: Rooted my phone successfully

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

I have rooted all my phones -- mostly just to run root-required aps (like Ti Backup and SuperCPU), but occasionally to try a different ROM.

I just got my MotoX and am pretty disappointed that there's not a reasonable way to root (I don't need "one click root", but downgrading to 4.2 and then iteratively climbing back up seems extreme). I don't even know if I can follow the procedure because my phone came with 4.4 as the default (I guess I would have to somehow manually flash an old ROM that didn't even come on the phone, but came on early deliveries).

Like the phone a lot, but really waiting for some evil-genius to find a more succinct way of rooting.

(NOTE: I didn't get 4.4.2 OTA yet, so in theory I could still do that crazy-long/involved method, but I'm just not up for it! ;) )

-AJ

reservedname

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

You should clarify which version of the Moto X you have.

For the record: if you have a non-developer version of an AT&T or VZW variant > there currently is NO root available AFTER the 4.4.2 update. If you root prior to the 4.4.2 update (the steps included going back to 4.2 which you can do from 4.4 but not from 4.4.2), then most people have been able keep root through the update to 4.4.2 (although the system protection flag gets re-enabled so the value of root is lessened).

If you have 4.4 and root, and are on AT&T or VZW; and don't have a developer phone > make sure you consider carefully before updated to 4.4.2, and if you do decide to update, it would be valuable to purchase the SuperSU that includes extra provisions to preserve root through an update.

If you are on 4.4 and on AT&T or VZW, and don't have a developer phone, and don't have root yet > go thru the rooting process before updating!

So I've got the non-de VZW variant and I'm hoping to keep root by using SuperSU or OTARootkeeper. Has anyone successfully kept root after accepting the 4.4.2 OTA?

andino

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Users on XDA reported keeping root when taking the OTA. They lost their R/W ability though. Its the reason why I haven't taken the OTA yet.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be some conflicting information here...

Sir Alex seems to have rooted after receiving 4.4.2 OTA, unless I'm reading that wrong. And unless his post is really over simplified, it sounds a lot easier than I've previously read.

Others seem to indicate that root'ing post-4.4.2 OTA is currently impossible.

@Sir Alex: Any chance you can provide more details and clarify what you accomplished???

Thanks!
-AJ

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Sir Alex seems to have rooted after receiving 4.4.2 OTA, unless I'm reading that wrong. And unless his post is really over simplified, it sounds a lot easier than I've previously read.

@Sir Alex: Any chance you can provide more details and clarify what you accomplished???

Thanks!
-AJ

Moto x versions with unlockable bootloaders (dev editions or XT 1053 unlocked gsm model) are and always will be easily rootable. You just install it.

Folks with locked bootloaders (standard vzw, att, etc) requires an 'exploit' to root. This one and only exploit is very involved and impossible to accomplish post 4.4.2. There very likely will NOT be another root exploit in the future for LOCKED bootloader X's.

In summary, buy unlockable devices if you value root, and don't bother with exploits if you own an unlocked device. You can simply flash superuser. Locked bootloaders are, well, locked down.

-Nexus 10-

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!
-AJ

I have a T-Mobile Moto X. Let's get that out of the way.

Yes, I received 4.4.2 OTA before I rooted.

It was a simple 3 steps process for me. I followed the instructions at this link How to root Moto X on Android 4.4 KitKat [Guide] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTech . However, there was a problem with flashing the TWRP recovery using fastboot. I didn't get any error, but TWRP was not installed.

Then I found this link at xda, [STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS] Unlocking and Rooting a Dev Ed Moto X Running Kit Kat - xda-developers . If you compare the two links, they are very similar, almost the same, EXCEPT the xda link uses mfastboot to flash TWRP. That was the only problem I encountered. Please note that I only used mfastboot one time. The rest of the time, I used fastboot.

The usual disclaimer. Root at your own risk.

Edit: At the very end of the xda link, it says "From what I have read you can use the version of TWRP I linked to above to root 4.4.2."

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Ah, so according to Rocketsauce, that's the unlocked GSM model. Yeah, that makes sense...shouldn't be too hard to root the unlocked models at all.

Thanks for the info.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
OK, "the honeymoon is over"....I want my root!

Where is the "bounty" thread to help support someone finding a way to root VZW 4.4.2???

And frankly, since "root" means a lot of different things to different people when it comes to android phones, I'll clarify that all I want is superuser capability -- which is what I call root, but I don't need an unlocked bootloader to load custom ROMs...unfortunately, many times an unlocked bootloader is what is required to facilitate the root/superuser access in the ROM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae