How to root your AT&T Moto X

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
The PwnMyMoto process has been superseded by RockMyMoto, which has been superseded by SlapMyMoto & MotoWpNoMo.

Unfortunately, 4.4.2 has patched the exploits used, so they don't work. And downgrading the rom from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower can/will hard brick your phone.

ATT Users with a GSM Developer Edition should request the Bootloader unlock code from Moto's Web Site, then follow this to root -> [STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS] Unlocking and Rooting a Dev Ed Moto X Running Kit Kat - xda-developers

AT&T users that have purchased the ATT Branded X have a locked boot loader. If they already have 4.4.2 on their phone, they are very limited.

The vulnerabilities exploited to root and disable write protection when the bootloader is locked have been patched in 4.4.2, so the past root methods can't be used.

In addition, updates to motoboot (bootloader) and GPT.BIN prevent successfully downgrading to lower firmwares (i.e. flashing 4.4 or lower onto your phone). Attempting to downgrade to 4.4 or lower once you have 4.4.2 on your phone will result in either bricking your phone, or set you up to brick in the future, so its recommended you do NOT try to downgrade once you have 4.4.2 on your phone.

JCASE did recently release a root process for 4.4.2, BUT it does NOT disable write protection, so it (and any changes you made via root) must be re-done every time you power the phone off/on. This process also must be done connected to a PC. See -> [Root 4.4.X] Pie for Motorola devices - xda-developers

If you can find a way to unlock their bootloader (currently there have been threads on XDA of a Chinese Website/MiddleMan SELLING unlock codes, but the services/person is not always available... its down/unavailable again), then you can root just like the Developer Edition owners can.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I have an AT&T Moto X 1st Gen. I unlocked it by getting the code from AT&T, so technically it could work on any network....

I am a bit of a simpleton when it comes to this stuff, but does this mean I can root as if it is a developer edition??

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
So I have an AT&T Moto X 1st Gen. I unlocked it by getting the code from AT&T, so technically it could work on any network....

I am a bit of a simpleton when it comes to this stuff, but does this mean I can root as if it is a developer edition??

SIM (aka carrier) Unlock is not the same as BOOTLOADER Unlock.

SIM Unlock (aka carrier unlock) will just allow you to put in a SIM from any carrier. It does not help you if you want to root, run custom roms, etc.

Bootloader Unlock allows you to flash parts, pieces, roms, recoveries, etc. which are NOT digitally signed by Moto. When you are bootloader unlocked, you can flash 3rd party recoveries, root no matter what Stock Moto rom is on your phone, and flash 3rd party roms.

To update what I already posted in this thread... JCASE has come out with Sunshine. IF your 2013 X is still fully on 4.4.2 or lower, it can unlock your bootloader (via a hack, without actually obtaining the correct unlock code from Moto). Unfortunately, the vulnerability exploited by this hack has been patched in 4.4.4 and its bootloader.